Which 2 would you choose

Guest Monkey King 2000

Guest Monkey King 2000

Out of the below DVD's which 2 would you choose please? My favourite Shaws films are LKL's, Tong Gaai's, venoms, most other CC films and all the better Wuxia films, like Magic blade, Soul of the Sword, etc (mainly the ones where Tong Gaai does the action direction). I am not a great fan of the old Wuxia films, but I do like all the Wang Ju films I have seen (one armed swordsman and sword of Swords). Anyway the below are what I am trying to decide on.

My Rebellious Son - Seen not a great review of this.

Trail Of The Broken Blade

Twin blades of doom - Not heard very much on this, know it is not available on DVD

The Assassin

The Shadow Boxing AKA: Spiritual Boxer 2 - Have not got this one as I have seen bad reviews

A deadly Secret - Saw a good review of this film, but not sure if it is my kind of film.

The Anonymous Heroes - I have not bought any of the war films so far.

Any opinions would be really appreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest peringaten

I love, love, love My Rebellious Son. Great film, very underrated - very nice action care the likes of Tong Gaai, and a great cast with Wang Lung Wei (love his showing here as Robert!), Ku Feng, and Fu Sheng on great form alongside showings for Chan Wei Man and Cecilia Huang Hsing Hsau... More than recommended I feel. Plus... Sun Chung. The man has never let me down really...

I've also got a soft spot for Deadly Secret. Nicely darkly themed... it didn't grab me so much first time, but a rewatch with a mate was great fun, and I realised how much I appreciated it. Some nice action in the finale. I liked it better than the others I've seen on your list. A good flick.

So yeah, those 2 would get my vote.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Twin Blades Of Doom

The two I'd pick considering what you've stated above.

Guest Monkey King 2000

Thanks for the advice I am leaning towards My Rebellious Son and Twin Blades Of Doom or Deadly Secret. vengeanceofhumanlanterns what is the action like in Twin blades. I just saw a clip of him fighting the Ghost Gang (on Jaman.com) and it looked good, but the clip did not run very smoothly as there is only so much bandwidth they allow us!

These five are pretty good:

My Rebellious Son

Twin blades of doom

The Assassin

A deadly Secret

If I had to pick just two, it would be The Assassin and Trail of The Broken Blade. But if you don't like swordplay, My Rebellious Son and A Deadly Secret are what you're looking for. Just know, A Deadly Secret is not you're typical kung fu film. Which is why I think fans rate it well.

I've only seen three of those, and my opinions are:

Trail of the Broken Blade---excellent 60's swordplay, great Jimmy Wang Yu performance---great colorful sets and costumes, decent action.

My Rebellious Son---I'm not generally a big fan of 80's Shaws, but Fu Sheng is always good, and I liked the more modern setting--some of the fights with Fu Sheng against the Westerners and Japanese reminded me a bit of Jet Li's recent Fearless.

Anonymous Heroes---this is probably my favorite of the bunch---absolutely vintage Chang Cheh, IMO. I'm not a big fan of comedy in kf movies, but the fight between Ti Lung and DC in their broken down shack had me laughing harder than any Jackie Chan movie. To me, this is just classic CC, with the outcast heroes and revolutionaries pursuing their loyalty and noble motives to the (bloody) end---not giving up even though all hope is lost. Barroom brawls, empty hand kung fu, gun and kung fu fights on top of a moving train, horsemen chasing the train, MAJOR bayonette combat, and Ti Lung and David Chiang horsing around on motorcycles---all in that colorful, slightly unreal Shaw/Chang Cheh universe.

Dang, I've got myself worked up enough that I think I'm going to have to put this one in tonight. :lol

Guest Monkey King 2000

Thanks everyone for your advice I have decided to buy My Rebellious Son, Twin blades of doom (got to see more of the Ghost Gang!) and A deadly Secret. I watched Golden Swallow for the first time yesterday (thought it was very good) and still have the Sword to watch and so will leave the other Wang Yu films until another day. With these films I am also ordering the Challenger and Skyhawk on VCD and so I will be pretty excited to get all of these!

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Twin Blades Of Doom is great actually. I'm very surprised it wasn't releaed in DVD format. Like Black Butterfly ( a personel fave) these two films definitely deserved a DVD release. The fighting is very well choreographed and the acting, storyline, and of course (as always) the cinematogrophy is excellent in my book. A must have.

Guest Stuntman Jules

I've only seen THE ANONYMOUS HEROES and A DEADLY SECRET. ANONYMOUS HEROES is a fun Chang Cheh film but feels so hilariously pro-communist I felt kind of guilty watching it.

A DEADLY SECRET is a film by T.F. Mous of MEN BEHIND THE SUN fame, but luckily doesn't feel that "Mous" at all save for a few icky torture scenes with Jason Pai Paio and Shih Szu getting buried alive. Still, it does have his misanthropic, "how evil can people get" message to it. It's surprisingly good.

Archived