Interesting Interview With Chen Kuan Tai

Guest Shaolin Patriot

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ivy Ling Po

Thank you very much for the interview!

I have seen a recent pic of Kuan-tai in a book written by Patty Keung, ex-Celestial staff. His face is basically unchanged. He just has some gray in his hair making him more distinguished.

Guest HwangDi

HKCinemagic : Do you prefer old or new martial arts film?

Chen Kuan Tai : The old ones, the flavor of the fighting was better. Now, the actors cannot fight real kung-fu.

the man tells it like it is!!

Chen Kuan Tai is one of my favorites, he hit the mark comparing the new movies to the old ones, there are no more Kung Fu movies, only Wuxia, we need our Kung Fu back.

Guest Robert Ian Teller

Enjoyed the interview very much thanks for the link. On a related note I saw him on a modern series playing a more desperate role being manhandled by two lowly thugs. Kind of surprising, not really used to seeing him in that light.

Guest TheManInWhite

Very telling interview. CKT speaks for all the hardcore fans IMO when he breaks down the basic differences between old school and new.

Guest Shaolin Patriot
The interview was made by phone, so we don't have recent photos of Chen.

Thanks all the same, HK Cinemagic, for the great phone interview! I look forward to seeing more interviews soon of other favorite SB actors! :D

Guest Shaolin Patriot
I have seen a recent pic of Kuan-tai in a book written by Patty Keung, ex-Celestial staff.

Ivy, do you have any specific details on the book? I'd like to know if it is also written in English.

Guest Iron Boat

This is excellent, Chen Kuan Tai is by far my favorite Shaw star.....I love the dark and hardcore tone to many of his films.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Shaolin Patriot, the book is unfortunately in Mandarin. Patty writes about the ex-Shaw stars that she met like Jimmy Wang Yu, Wong Yue, Chen Kuan-tai, Ti Lung, David Chiang, Jimmy Lin Chong, Lily Li, Ivy Ling Po, etc.

Thanks for posting that great interview.

Of course you can say that CKT was among the best real fighters from Shaws stable of kung fu stars, but I would also put him up there in the top tier of Shaw actors, as well. He seemed very at ease on screen, and had a very natural delivery, with great range---contrast his role as the shallow, dim-witted oaf in Blood Brothers with the subtle, sharp, crafty intelligence of his character in Boxer From Shantung.

Guest W Hong
so we don't have recent photos of Chen.

Didn't CKT have a cameo or supporting role in Tsui Hark's "Vampire Hunters"? If he did ,then check the DVD for a recent image.

Now, the actors cannot fight real kung-fu.

What about the actors in SPL(e.g. Donnie, Sammo, Wu Jing)? Or Louis Fan Siu Wong, Chris Yen(Donnie's sister), etc.?

After Chen Kuan Tai, we interviewed the SB actress Siu Yam Yam : HERE.

PS : the next one, it's a big interview of one of famous HK B movies directors..... surprise.... ;)

Guest peringaten

Now that was a good interview! Very informative - nice to get an insight on Li Han Hsiang too. Excellent stuff HKCM, keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to the next... Your site's great.

Guest HKCM

We added some recent fotos in page 6 of Chen Kuan Tai Interview ;)

cktkufeng2_7b013efedc711c99ed769a11c32598cc.jpg

PS : thanks to Peringaten (the next interview is very interesting too, the director we met is wellknown for his special low budget movies with ninjas..... ;) )

Archived