SHAOLIN ABBOTT?

Guest carl douglas

Guest carl douglas

Seen from IVL's moviesuper.com I noticed MASKED AVENGERS and SHAOLIN ABBOTT is out on 24/5/07. Any views on Shaolin Abbott with David Chiang and Lilly Li?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest venomchamber

Outstanding! Much the best!

Another chance to see Lo Lieh as the White Brows Priest Pai Mei!

Eagerly awaiting it!

sliceofdeathus1sheetmovrp8.jpg

sliceofdeathbwstilloh3.jpg

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer

Wow, that's just about the ugliest poster I've ever seen.

It's a great film, though. Another movie about a Shaolin monk (David Chiang - who didn't do too many shaven-headed roles - in this case) avenging the betrayal of the Pai Mei after the Shaolin Temple is burned down. And you can never have too much of those. Lo Lieh smoulders, Lily Li pouts. What more could you want?

Which part do you remember being LAME? The awesome fight with the lama or the incredible final battle between Lo Lieh and David Chiang, when he has to find his vulnerable spot?

To refresh your memory, I've uploaded the decidedly un-lame Lama fight

Enjoy.

Guest jmungus

decent but in no way outstanding movie. not up there with the really good shaw capers.

i find its quality and fun factor equivalent to ie bloody escape, boxer from the temple, heaven & hell, lady is the law.

Guest BKarza

Man, that was nice. I remember being bored by this. Based on that clip, I will rent it.

Looked like someone was channeling Tong Gaai.

Guest Feng Gang

That was the best part of the movie IMO, but that's not the ending. I'm talking about when they all met up at the water it was like one of those old saturday afternoon "action block" endings. I just know when it went off I said "what the hell was that...sigh."

As for Pai Mei, I like the character but I barely liked any of his fights in any movie. IMO, the best one was when he used the 5 point palm (or whatever) on Gordon Liu. I do agree that it was a decent movie but it didn't deliver. It was just nice to see David Chiang do something different.

When the good guys fight Lo Lieh en masse, it's not terribly exciting, I'd admit, but that's just the first minute or so of the final fight. However, then David Chiang wades in and tries to find his vulnerable spot, and things brighten up considerably.

I think one of the reasons I like this better than a lot of the SB Shaolin Temple movies is that there are lots of odd little touches, like the fact that Shaolin temple is apparently on top of a mountain, only accessible by a dangerously narrow path, and the way the abbot lives in a bottom of a well.

The resemblance to Tong Chia's never occurred to me. The action director was Long Yi Sheng, who also did KUNG FU ZOMBIE and AMBITIOUS KUNG FU GIRL. Unfortunately he also did the action for some late-era SB sci-fi/fantasy crap too.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Great movie. A must have actually. David Chiang nails his role.

This one was a classic, if for nothing more than another opportunity for Lo Lieh as Pai Mei. I like the fact most of the film is shot in studio and the feeling of a lower budeted Shaw piece. David Chiang in rare role as a monk, however, he gets to display Kung Fu, which we are almost always accustomed to his swordsman roles.

Morgoth Bauglir

I thought it was a decent movie, though I remember being disappointed by the final fight. A bad finale fight always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

This is a very well scripted film. Excellent morals and virtue. David Chiang does a great job as the surviving monk IMO. The fighting/choreographing is fair enough. I had no problem with it. It's got a lotta charm that's for sure. I thought it was a very enjoyable film.

This is David Chiang's most dexterious movie in my opinion. His movement and rhythm were much better than any other movies he was in.

This is David Chiang's most dexterious movie in my opinion. His movement and rhythm were much better than any other movies he was in.

Cant remember liking "Slice Of Death" much, have yet to re-watch it. I thought "Shaolin Mantis" was his best MA performance. Of course that has more to do with Pops.

Archived