THE PROUD YOUTH ,,,,,,, NOT BAD!

Guest the golden dragon

Guest the golden dragon

The second real or disk of the Proud Youth really picked up after the rather boring first half.

I thought the fight with the Eunich was on the verge of being brilliant. Many great fights thereafter.

Wang Yu looked different not being in a comedic role.

How does this compare to The Proud Twins?

GD

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest CLFNole

For some reason I really didn't get into Proud Twins and I like Fu Sheng films. It was okay but not one of his best in my opinion although it was better then movies like Heroes Shed No Tears or Na Cha.

Guest jmungus

two entirely different movies; one`s pretty much chu yuan spoofin his own work in the bizness of wuxia film making for shaws, with fu sheng lettin a whole zoo of monkeys out (PT); the other one is sun chung trying to be the hero all over again by attempting to do every single aspect of the material and film making as he knows it justice (PY).

it does not deliver like his best do, but it sure is a damn nice ride.

main problem with PROUD YOUTH is sooo much plot and characters yet so little time

tsui hark/ching siu tung told the same story in 3 movies (adapted from a jin yong novel).

as a result, theres some ambivalence regarding structure & screenplay, plot strings, character building, sequences to set a mood and the likes.

fight scenes fall victim to the short running time as well. occassions are plenty and ppl are happy to get it on, but most of the confrontations (particularly in the first half) are not fleshed out.

everything else is excellent or at least properly trying to be, overall to a satisfying degree.

i really dig PY, another very good shaw flick only wuxia/swordsman/jiang hu clans system haters should leave unattended.

7.7/10 ; toilet gung fu rock rock on :smokin

Guest wuxiamaniac

The Proud Twins is based on Gu Long's (Ku Lung) novel, and the character that Alex Fu Sheng played is supposed to be a major goofball, he goes around and trick people, in fact if you understand Chinese you'll like it, it's not much of a martial arts show, but the dialogues are funny. Just an FYI.

THREAD RESSURECTION!

Lol. I'll try to keep it spoiler free.

Anyway, just got through this one. Great story, it is a wuxia film, but missing and even parodying (at least it seemed) many of the cliches of the wuxia genre. There is a little comedy, but for the most part it is played straight. As the film starts, it has the looks of a confusing Chor Yuen film, introducing a bunch of characters, but you quickly find out who are major players and who are not. It does take a good 20 minutes or so for the story to really begin progressing, but the duration preceding that isn't boring. The finale is good, and even has a twist that caught me by surprise. Solid acting throughout as expected with a cast like this. (Ku Feng, Shih Szu, Fung Sui-Fan, etc). Sun Chung's stamp is all over it too, and they did a good job wrapping up a somewhat layered plot at the end.

The action in this movie is great. Wong Yue is one of my favorite actors, and each film I see him in makes me wonder why he doesn't seem very popular. Here, with Tong Gaai's direction he proves he is a top tier swordsman. There is fantastic swordplay throughout this film; Wong Yue and Chan Wai Man stand out in a big way in that department. Chan Wai Mans character is an awesome assassin with a double bladed sword. The few sections of hand to hand seemed a little slow, but the great swordplay more than made up for it.

As expected great sets, and a few very good locations as well (including a fight in front of a waterfall.)

This is probably one of my favorite wuxia movies. Great swordplay, and solid plot. It is an adventurous movie, and manages to cram a lot of plot into a short runtime without being overly confusing. I am a minority in that I think Wong Yue was a solid leading man, and I feel this performance solidifies my claim. I would have liked to see Shih Szu and Ling Yun get more action, and the movie does BEGIN a little confusing. Those are my only real girpes, overall I really liked it and its recommended..

It's Sun Chung making a Chor Yuen wuxia – or perhaps more accurately, a Chang Cheh Brave Archer film – so it's an interesting point of comparison from his other films.

The action is top notch, but the scene I remember most is the beautiful musical moment between the two doomed swordsmen.

Archived