Kid With The Golden Arm Question????

Guest HAZ74

Hi Dudes!

Got a quick question for y'all - is it worth picking up the dutch VHS of Kid With The Golden Arm? I can get it for 20 bones. Is the picture quality half way decent? I like subs better than dubs, but I can live with it. I just want to see the best version available. Is this supposed to be released by IVL in december? I never know what those guys are putting out.

Thanks for any help.

peace

HAZ

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sevenhooks

HAZ,

ILV/Celestial had originally slated KWTGA to be released this December but it's apparently now pushed back.

To when is anybody's guess.

I don't know what the best version out there is.

Perhaps somebody else can help you with that.

Not familiar with the Dutch version.

However I'd be cautious since I know that at least one of the Euro releases was VERY heavily cut. I mean BAD.

I think that's the version that wound up on the US bootleg Ground Zero DVD.

Wish I still had my broadcast tape from the 80's when I taped it off of Channel 23 in Albany.

They showed it nearly uncut that one time.

After that whenever it played on tv it seemed to be cut more and more.

There's the tv(edited by Larry Bensky) version. That's the longest. It doesn't have a few "Chang Cheh" type spurts of blood to make it uncut/unedited.

The Ground Zero version is simply the german print with a manual eng dub overlay. It is a very good, colorful print that is 2:35:1. It is very cut but not the action.

I have both. You never know when the bloody hell Celestial will release it, so I say go out get whatever version you want.

Or wait for the US disc.

So Image will be putting this out? I know release dates are always in flux, but is there a timetable for this?

Also, what is the correct running time for KWTGA? I'll see if I can get some info from the seller.

Thanks

h

Guest venomsfreak

The Beverly Wilshire version is horrible. It is missing most of the fight scenes, and has an awful grainy full screen picture. The Ground Zero version is missing alot of the dialogue, but the violence is intact and it has a much better print. One of the guys on here (I'm sorry I forget your name) put both copies together on one disc to make a complete (if somewhat uneven) version.

Guest Shaolin Patriot
Or wait for the US disc

Linn1, would you care to elaborate more at this time? Can you reveal any small morsel of information? ;)

The Dutch video is the same as the tv (edited by Larry Bensky) version. Good picture quality though.

Is the TV version the same as Beverly Wilshire mentioned above? Are there any fights that are cut out?

Thanks for all the responces so far! You doods are Movie Sifus!

Peace

h

I would be the forum member here that created a more complete movie using the Beverly Wilshire version and the Ground Zero version. Basically, I took the WS Ground Zero version and added the missing footage that was included in the Beverly Wilshire version back into it.

Let me guess, is Dragon Dynasty releasing this?

Guest sevenhooks

Hey Linn,

Regardless whether or not it's Dragon Dynasty releasing this, do you know if they're going to release these with the orig. eng. dubs or not?

I know the initial word was that Miramax had not opted to buy the dubs but I'm wondering since so much time has passed and since there's been one or two actually somewhat knowledgable folks hired to consult (not to mention companies changing hands), has there been any change in policy re: the dubs that you know of?

Thanks...

Hi

I just checked the dutch tape & running time in PAL is 82 minutes. This looks longer than the 78 minute version put out by ground zero. I know there's a difference between PAL & NTSC running times. What would 82 minutes be in PAL?

Thanks again,

HAZ

Guest Chinatown Kid

Then maybe George(I make crappy DVD's)Tan and his Video Asia? Lord help us if that's the case! :rollin

Joking aside, maybe Crash? Or maybe a company we've never heard of? Man, this suspense is killing me. :P

Its gotta be crash since they're starting something called "Crash Masters", a series of remastered, old school flicks.

Thanks for all the advice & info on "Kid with the golden arm!" I'm going to buy the tape & transfer it to DVD. I'll let everyone know how that goes.

peace

h

Guest dragon herb

I watched a couple of minutes of this movie today, but I don't know which version I've got. I hope someone knows and can confirm which it is. It starts ugly cropped fullscreen when it's a intro, than when the english credits follows the picture is fullscreen but the window minimized into some sort of smaller square or how I should explain it. Therafter it becomes normally fullscreen. I haven't watched the whole movie, only a few minutes as said, but I hope it will remain "normal" fullscreen. Dunno the runtime yet either because my VCR counts the minutes very strange.

i,ve got two versions of this movie. the GROUND ZERO which clocks in at 1 hr 15 min. the version i taped off tv clocks in at 1 hr 25 min --thats minus the commercials . the tv version has the missing dialouge.

Archived