Portrait In Crystal

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Guest Ivy Ling Po

This movie is available for pre-order now at DDDhouse. Street date is April 19......can't wait.

This is wu xia plus horror, right?

Does Chen Szu Chia fight in it?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HANZOSTEEL

This is one of the few films i have no idea about but have been looking forward to since Last year.

This and Shadowgirl starring Lily Li. Sorry i do not have any information to answer any questions.

Guest BKarza

Mainly a horror movie. That part is done well. The wu xia type action is poorly done. Hua Shan tried to ape Lu Chun Ku and got it all wrong.

I don't know who the woman that you mentioned is but one character(Philip Ko's daughter in Shaolin Intruders), plays a character that does "stuff". Character wears a masked so it's obviously a double. There are no visible female fights.

If you want some good female action(non and doubled) wait til Bloody Parrot comes out. Yang Ching Ching is in that.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Are the fight scenes undercranked?

That will be unbearable.

Chen Szu Chia is best remembered for her role in Ghost Eyes.

Brigadier Chow

The fight scenes are undercranked, but it is handled well IMO. The characters in this movie and the sets is what makes it worth picking up.

Guest BKarza

Yes, there is undercranked action. It's in the sfx, flying, quick cut, wu xia vein. It is incoherently done. There is no smoothness or sense of thought in it it seems. It just comes off as someone trying to ape Lu Chun Ku's style but having no idea at all, how to actually do it.

The action will be real speed for a second, then go to quick cuts and vicious undercranking. There is no a-b-c-d to it. No construction. It's just a bloody mess.

If you really want to see it, I suggest you rent it. I am trying to save you money.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Hi BKarza

Well, you have certainly helped me to save my money as there is no way I will get it now with that vivid description of the sword choreography in the movie. Thanks!

Yup.

Gonna skip Portrait in Crystal.

Incidental action is not a quality I'm looking for in a MA film.

Guest BKarza

"Mainly a horror movie. That part is done well. The wu xia type action is poorly done. Hua Shan tried to ape Lu Chun Ku and got it all wrong."

Please keep this in mind. The movie is not bad, just the action. That is why I say rent. I don't mean skip and never watch. It is an interesting movie. Just not a keeper.

Guest Linn1

and in particular liked the final fight. If you enjoy wuxia horror films, I think you'll dig it. Also, I've yet to see or hear of any release that was uncut, so it's still never been seen "correctly" on video.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

I wonder whether Celestial will release an uncut version and if it is, will it be as controversial as Human Lanterns.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I just cannot wait for this film to arrive at my door. I doubt the fights are so poorly done they ruin the film, especially since I trust Linn's opinion's on this genre. There have not been many films released in the past few months that have blown me away. What Price Honesty is like a children's lesson in morals, Twin Swords was awesome, especially seeing it so beautifully remastered ( I had been waiting a while to see this released by IVL), Secret Of The Dirk was pretty cool too, Vengeance Of A Snowgirl, Men From The Monestary are must haves IMO of the genre, but this film (like Bloody Parrot) I am particularly looking forward to possessing. I've just preordered it yesterday along with IVL's Shaolin Mantis -(I'm finally getting around to seeing what Celestial has done with this film) and will definitely be writing a full length review on Portrait In Crystal, whether or not my expectations are dashed. Extremely rare films being released by Celestial, such as Portrait in Crystal, should be supported by the true fan.

Guest jmungus
will definitely be writing a full length review on Portrait In Crystal

please do. im having some hopes for this to be up my alley and deliver myself.

bloody parrot- even more so. BP is actually a true 'cant wait to see' in my book.

BKarza`s comment on the undercranking (in PIC), better yet the way they`ve handled it, sounds kinda alarming to me tho (for our sake, i do hope u were sick, drunk or mad high when u`d watch it BK ;) ).

generally, i dont have a problem with undercranking if its done in a reasonable fashion and fits the style of the movie/the actor/characters/scene in question.

I've been looking forward to the release of this since I found the B&W Lobby Photos that I posted. I'm going to approach this the same way I did Human Lanterns, a horror type film with some action.

Also looking forward to Bloody Parrot. I have a boot of it that I watch from time to time, although that's a little difficult because of the fuzzy picture and the subs are cut off on the sides.

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer

Maybe it'll make more sense in its full uncut glory, but I thought PORTRAIT IN CRYSTAL was a very, very silly film. Almost NA CHA THE GREAT-type silly.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Hi vengeanceofhuman lanterns

Please write a full-length review of What Price Honesty as I am hesitant to pick it up. I was going to pair it with Portrait In Crystal but now I am having 2nd thoughts about getting them.

Guest Linn1

I'm not saying it's a great, lost classic. I just think it's a pretty good film of it's type. The only thing holding back really was the FX for the time.

Maybe it'll make more sense in its full uncut glory, but I thought PORTRAIT IN CRYSTAL was a very, very silly film. Almost NA CHA THE GREAT-type silly.

DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!

Just kidding.

You guys have me going back and forth on this.

But the opinion above has me pretty much convinced to skip it.

I surely don't need to be Na Cha'ed again.

Brigadier Chow

It is no where near as bad as Na Cha, I would not even compare. Respect due to all opinions though. The action IMO is typical of the time period at Shaws. There is wirework and undercranking, but it fits in with the film. In other words if you did not like post 82 stuff. then don't bother.

Guest BKarza

Just watched this again. I stand behind my statements firmly with both feet. Especially the action. Both feet.

As far as the movie itself goes, it could have done without Pai Piao's partner hamming it up with the comedy-ish type stuff. He was annoying. Hua Shan took a whole lot of liberties in doing this. In the action and in the execution of the story. Sort of, I do this here because I want to. Found myself scrunching my face up a lot.

Will I be getting rid of my tape? No. Do I want to see the dvd? No.

I finish with this. Be very happy, estatic even, that you get to see this first THEN, Bloody Parrot. I saw BP first(also directed by Hua Shan). It was the movie that got me into swordplay movies. When I saw this tape and saw that Hua Shan was the director, I was excited. Then...

Guest sevenhooks
It is no where near as bad as Na Cha, I would not even compare. Respect due to all opinions though. The action IMO is typical of the time period at Shaws. There is wirework and undercranking, but it fits in with the film. In other words if you did not like post 82 stuff. then don't bother.

Well put.

Do NOT get confused by the comparison to Na Cha.

Two completely different films made in two COMPLETELY different time periods.

A Shaw film from the mid 70's is simply NOT going to look or feel like a Shaw film from the early 80's.

Don't get it twisted.

Guest Isfahani

I liked Na Cha - It was nice for it's time, what's the problem?

I am certainly more interested in this film tho, as per linn's description.

Don't get it twisted? Which forum do you think you're on?

:lol

Guest sevenhooks

Don't get it twisted? Which forum do you think you're on?

:lol

Yea, my bad.

I thought I was on the "Why Wu Tang Clan is the most important thing to have ever happened to kung fu films since Bruce Lee" thread. Please proceed.:b

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns
As far as the movie itself goes, it could have done without Pai Piao's partner hamming it up with the comedy-ish type stuff. He was annoying. Hua Shan took a whole lot of liberties in doing this. In the action and in the execution of the story. Sort of, I do this here because I want to. Found myself scrunching my face up a lot.

Now you are truly scaring me. We'll see...

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer

My criticism wasn't about the undercranking or the crude special effects, neither of which I particularly mind, as long as they're not grossly incompetent. It's just a sloppy film with jittery, sloppy action choreography and, just like NA CHA, too much silly fantasy stuff in it for my liking.

I don't even remember the crappy comedy stuff. It's possible that this is what they trimmed out of earlier versions, in which case it doesn't sound like the restored DVD holds out much promise.

In other words if you did not like post 82 stuff. then don't bother.

That about covers it.

Archived