Black Lizard

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I really enjoy the films that combine Kung Fu and horror. Being an equal fan of MA and horror films. Mr Vampire, Human Lanterns, kung Fu Zombie have always been among my favs. Needless to say I was really looking forward to seeing "The Black Lizard". I though the mood/atmosphere was great. The stroy was good, with the usuall 3-4 plot twists from Chor Yuen. The production notes boast Yuen used "3 fight choreographers" for Black Lizard. But the fights, though improving towards the end, were average at best. Very little hand to hand mostly dominated by swordplay. 3.5/5 for me. This film features one of the dumbest endings (imo) in Shaw film history. *Spoiler* The scene in which Yueh Hua's character looses his mind, jumps towards the statue of the lizard, lightning stikes the statue, head of statue flies into the air and smashes him in the head (killing him) mid-flight. I couldnt help but laugh out loud at that one.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bubbabgone

I gave it 2 out of 5.

I usually give the average ones 3 out of 5.

I can't tell you how disappointed I was.

Guest jmungus

when i think of BL, i think...

the premise was totally awesome; the movie, while being good fun, would never really take off and deliver fully; in retrospect, i have only great memories of cool scenes, fun characters, moody soundstages and an overall wicked, atmospheric show.

weird.

this should have been a horror/mystery-wuxia masterpiece.

its truly great, its just that it doesnt live up to that while u actually watch it. :x ;)

weeeird, huh ?! oops i said that already.

Guest drunkenmantis13

I was thinking of buying it soon. Is it actually worth it? I liked all CY flicks's i've seen which are Magic Blade, Killer Clans and Web of Death with Convict Killer and Full Moon Scimitar not watched yet.

Guest daTOAD

out of all the kung fu horror hybrids, this is one of the Shaws weaker examples. it should be great though-maybe something is lost in translation. Human Lanterns IMO is the best example of the two genres working well together.hopefully Bloody Parott comes soon.

Archived