The Deadly Duo / 雙俠 (1971)

Guest the dirty tiger

Mark Pollard
Mark do you prefer the mono track?

I don't have the mono track for this film but I can definitely answer yes. This film actually has one of the worst 5.1 remixes. I don't understand how Celestial thought that laying a second audio track over the original with amateur keyboarding was in anyway an improvement. When listening to these films on stereo headphones, it's easy to pick apart the original mono soundtrack from the poorly overlaid new one.

On a side note, this is the first period Chang Cheh film to use an electric guitar sample in its original soundtrack. I wish I could place where it came from.

Mark Pollard

I agree with others that the film suffers from the cheesy bridge-crossing plot device. It's the same bridge that was showcased in THE NEW ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN but poorly redressed to look old and rickety. The notion that a martial artist with light step expertise would be required to cross is nonsense.

Also, I noticed that this film provided the foundation for a film Chang Cheh shot much later, FIVE ELEMENT NINJAS. The five element ninjas are basically in this film, although they don't appear as "ninjas." As the River Dragon of Jin who fights in water, Bolo Yeung is the water ninja. Lau Kar-wing hides in dirt mounds, making him the earth ninja. Action director Tang Chia hides in tree trunks, making him the wood ninja. Another actor I wasn't able to identify wields incendiary bombs which makes him the fire ninja. A fifth actor wields golden cymbals which makes him the gold ninja.

This is not one of the better Iron Triangle films (Chang Cheh films starring David Chiang and Ti Lung) but the end fight is lots of fun. I love how Chiang's rope dart is used to skewer up to four people at a time.

I don't have the mono track for this film but I can definitely answer yes. This film actually has one of the worst 5.1 remixes. I don't understand how Celestial thought that laying a second audio track over the original with amateur keyboarding was in anyway an improvement. When listening to these films on stereo headphones, it's easy to pick apart the original mono soundtrack from the poorly overlaid new one.

On a side note, this is the first period Chang Cheh film to use an electric guitar sample in its original soundtrack. I wish I could place where it came from.

Of the couple hundred Celestials that I've seen, it was only this movie and The Chinese Boxer where the audio tampering came close to ruining the movie for me. As you said, they both have not just added sound effects, but actual new "music". It honestly sounds like the guy in the Celestial audio department got his old Casio keyboard from 1987 out of the closet and decided the movie would sound better with him playing along.

I just got my first blu-ray player, and I ordered this one. I really enjoy this movie---it's not great, but if you need a short, intense Iron Triangle fix, this is it. It's not even 90 minutes, it's chock full of fights, and it's loaded with Chang Cheh's trademark heroic bloodshed.

Will forever be remembered as the "Bridge movie" for me. Should we rename the "Iron Triangle" to the "Fearless 4"? I mean how many movies did Chang Cheh make with David Chiang , Ti Lung and Ku Feng? 

Coming in at an hour and eighteen minutes this is one of the fastest martial arts movies I can recall. I can't even remember anything that happened really except of course the few scenes of the good guys trying to cross that damn bridge. 

Looks like Chiang gets that honorable death scene that he was robbed of in "The Heroic Ones". David to Cheh "Can I die standing up this time? That shit was epic". 

Are these the same Princes that we're fighting the Mongols in '8 Diagram Pole Fighter"? Probably unrelated but that's what I was thinking of at the beginning of this movie.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
On 12/26/2017 at 4:11 PM, Iron_Leopard said:

I can't even remember anything that happened really except of course the few scenes of the good guys trying to cross that damn bridge. 

That pretty much summarizes my feelings on this one as well.  Out of the 1hr 18mins runtime, it felt like the hour was spent trying to cross the bridge.

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane

It also has one of (if not the) earliest use of underwater photography in HK cinema. I've tried to research any earlier titles using it, but couldn't find any. Perhaps some Shaw flick I haven't seen has it before '71, maybe some of those 60's spy flicks, but I failed to find conclusive evidence of this.

If anyone knows of an earlier example, please chime in.

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane
  • Like 4

Tex Killer
On 12/26/2017 at 7:11 AM, Iron_Leopard said:

Coming in at an hour and eighteen minutes this is one of the fastest martial arts movies I can recall. I can't even remember anything that happened really except of course the few scenes of the good guys trying to cross that damn bridge. 

There is at least one shorter martial arts movie, about 70 minutes. I can`t remember much about Deadly Duo either even as have seen it several times. Besides bridge scene, Ti Lung goes to seek for help of former classmate who has chosen to be on enemyside and meets chiang there then. And beginning when prisoners are executed by archery even as enemy troops stand right next to them, silly one. And great ending. Thats all can recall, not a single scene comes to mind besides those.

One of most forgettable iron triangle movies for sure but not bad one.