The Deadly Duo / 雙俠 (1971)

Guest the dirty tiger

My copy of Seven Grand Mastres did include liner notes.:angel:

I wasn't aware of this problem. Some do, some don't. That's sooo not cool.:S

• Administrator
My copy of Seven Grand Mastres did include liner notes.:angel:

I wasn't aware of this problem. Some do, some don't. That's sooo not cool.:S

Media Blasters!!! (my fist shaking with rage!)

Shaw Scope Guy
WTF?

I remember something else came out recently (it may have also been a MB release- can't remember for sure) and some copies had the liner notes, and some didn't. I remember somebody saying on a thread that they didn't get them, and I think Teako posted them for the guy. Maybe it was SEVEN GRANDMASTERS?

If anybody has them (I-m talking to you Shaw Scope Guy), can you please post them? ;)

I do not have a scanner, but I will see if I can track down my buddy who has one.

• Administrator

Good idea Daigoro, but I bought both SEVEN GRANDMASTERS and DEADLY DUO from Best Buy and they're real official copies- but no liner notes.

Deadly Duo is memorable for me for all those idiots who gave their lives attempting to cross that cursed bridge. LOL.

How many of your comrades do you need to witness falling to their death before you say, "...wait a minute." ?

:)

Deadly Duo is memorable for me for all those idiots who gave their lives attempting to cross that cursed bridge. LOL.

How many of your comrades do you need to witness falling to their death before you say, "...wait a minute." ?

:)

Seriously. I was watching it earlier and thinking "Why would you try to cross the damn thing when you just saw your friend fall to his bloody death?".

Then after the third or so guy tries and fails miserably, it dawns on them that the bridge is too dangerous.

Well, when they realize the fighter who was light on his feet couldn't make it across, then there was no point in anyone else trying. I haven't seen the film in some time but I do remember Cheng Lei telling the others if he can't make it, then no one else is to try. That was the whole point of the scene was to show that the bridge was not crossable to give the scene more tension when Ti Lung returned with David Chiang. If I remember right, those guys didn't know if Ti Lung was coming back or not.

Considering the object of their mission was across the bridge, (the only means of getting to the fort) and judging by the hundreds of similar movies showing Chinese fighters taking on near impossible odds or situations in the face of death to accomplish their goal, I don't see the problem people seem to have with this scene.

• Administrator
If you want me to scan the liner notes for you let me know. Ill post it here monday if you want.

Yes, thanks! ;)

Well, when they realize the fighter who was light on his feet couldn't make it across, then there was no point in anyone else trying. I haven't seen the film in some time but I do remember Cheng Lei telling the others if he can't make it, then no one else is to try. That was the whole point of the scene was to show that the bridge was not crossable to give the scene more tension when Ti Lung returned with David Chiang. If I remember right, those guys didn't know if Ti Lung was coming back or not.

Considering the object of their mission was across the bridge, (the only means of getting to the fort) and judging by the hundreds of similar movies showing Chinese fighters taking on near impossible odds or situations in the face of death to accomplish their goal, I don't see the problem people seem to have with this scene.

But still it makes them look foolish to continue crossing a bridge that was terribly damaged and that their weight on it only made it worse,IMO.

And at least David Chiang had enough smarts to realize it couldn't be crossed and to use a different way around it.

To each his own, I suppose.

Morgoth Bauglir

Are you going to post the Deadly Duo liner notes? And I'm having a bit of trouble following this thread. Is it just that one person who says there are liner notes for Deadly Duo?

And at least David Chiang had enough smarts to realize it couldn't be crossed and to use a different way around it.

David Chiang's method of getting across is far more detached from reality than a group of righteous Chinese warriors determined to overcome the seemingly impossible by crossing a treacherous bridge.

I got mine today and I noticed the English mono had the new Shaw ident rescored like the counterpart 5.1!

I'm hoping it's not a downgrade and unless there's new sound effects, I won't be able to tell as I've not seen the film before.

Will try to report later.

• Administrator
Are you going to post the Deadly Duo liner notes? And I'm having a bit of trouble following this thread. Is it just that one person who says there are liner notes for Deadly Duo?

Morgoth, I think only Shaw Scope Guy said he had liner notes for DEADLY DUO.

Daigoro- Thanks for the SEVEN GRANDMASTER liner notes!;) Awesome!

Watched this the other night. Seemed like one of the few films of Chang Cheh filmed all over the Shaws lots. Chen Sing underused again. Don't think Chang cared for him very much.

I'm not sure about Chang not bothering about him. Perhaps Chen was an 'extra' in that era before he got a few more major roles in the likes of 'Black Panther' and 'Bloody Fists' (although not with Shaws). He was in 'Vengeance!' and got quite a role here (just watch DD the other night myself and liked it).

Morgoth, I think only Shaw Scope Guy said he had liner notes for DEADLY DUO

SURE he does! Shit DID not come with notes! How wouldn't everyone except one person have them???

I do not have a scanner, but I will see if I can track down my buddy who has one.

You can take a picture with your cellphone or digital camera as sufficient proof.

Thanks for the link Mark, great stuff. Does anyone know if the USA BR release is original mono, because the IVL HK disc has an awful 5.1 remix with new added sound fx.

Guest Markgway
Thanks for the link Mark, great stuff. Does anyone know if the USA BR release is original mono, because the IVL HK disc has an awful 5.1 remix with new added sound fx.

Yes, it does. I'm selling my copy if you're interested?

Mark Pollard

The one annoying aspect of re-watching a lot of these SB titles I previously reviewed is having to listen to those dreadful 5.1 remixes on many of the remastered releases. I forgot how bad some of them are.