The Deadly Duo / 雙俠 (1971)

Guest the dirty tiger

I'll be destroying this disc once it comes out.

:P I'll get my copy. This is the first MB release for a film I've not seen (I'm not fond of MB's designs though). Hope it's good!

• Administrator

I just popped in the MB DEADLY DUO disc. It's very cool to finally have an anamorphic, subbed or dubbed copy of this great movie, and the print looks great. :D

Also, I was excited to finally have versions of the "Elegant Trails" specials with good subs. Well, they have good subs. But... they look like shit! :mad: I've always been confused on the whole progressive scan/ non-progressive business, but I think that might be the problem here. Any movement at all gets broken up into horizontal lines! Now this was on a regular old monitor in my cellar, not my good HD TV, so maybe it'll look different there. This is how my old Media Asia DVD of A BETTER TOMORROW looks on my good TV. what the Hell?! Has anyone else experienced this problem? :o

The horizontal-line thing is normal as the documentary containing the interview was shot in that maner :).

Your old CRT TV should display it correctly with the 'normal' look (more faster because of the amount of information picked up), but your HDTV won't (hence why I've not upgraded to HD) and will either show lines, or taken them and make it look more film-like. The old Megastar DVD of 'A Better Tomorrow' will be a poor transfer anyway, but your HDTV might make it look worse.

IVL put this one out in one of their conversion jobs, but it contained a piss-poor soundtrack. MB is better in all areas thankfully :).

As much as it took ages the last time, I think I'll get mine from Amazon Marketplace and not PlayUSA.

Killer Meteor
The horizontal-line thing is normal as the documentary containing the interview was shot in that maner :).

Your old CRT TV should display it correctly with the 'normal' look (more faster because of the amount of information picked up), but your HDTV won't (hence why I've not upgraded to HD) and will either show lines, or taken them and make it look more film-like.

Could be a standards conversion issue, or just badly done

Way of the Dragon

I can get the Deadly Duo with subtitles for me in the UK. They released about 25 shaw brothers films on dvd. The others i really am struggling to get hold of, i might have to get a multi-regional dvd player. i have found that a lot of the HK releases have English Subtitles and there is always the region 1 US releases.

you can get the HK shaw brothers dvds from CDWOW, YesAsia or eBay

Killer Meteor
I can get the Deadly Duo with subtitles for me in the UK. They released about 25 shaw brothers films on dvd. The others i really am struggling to get hold of, i might have to get a multi-regional dvd player. i have found that a lot of the HK releases have English Subtitles and there is always the region 1 US releases.

you can get the HK shaw brothers dvds from CDWOW, YesAsia or eBay

They only released 6 Shaws in the UK, all non-anamorphic. Deadly Duo was meant to be in the range but the whole thing got cancelled

This Media Blasters DVD should be great!

Way of the Dragon
They only released 6 Shaws in the UK, all non-anamorphic. Deadly Duo was meant to be in the range but the whole thing got cancelled

This Media Blasters DVD should be great!

OH WHAT!! nooooo :(

They have a little booklet on all the shaw brothers dvds they released and there is about 25, i cant believe they cancelled them!

Killer Meteor
OH WHAT!! nooooo :(

They have a little booklet on all the shaw brothers dvds they released and there is about 25, i cant believe they cancelled them!

Sadly I can!

Sadly I can!

Oh, :cry::cry::cry: bah bah! Non-anamorphic without English dubs or reasonable subtitles or extras. I'm gonna miss that lack of effort:(.

The Running Man
Yes! English dub in both 5.1 and mono. And it subs the signs automatically. What a cool disc!

What does that mean? You can't remove the subtitle track that translates only signs and text?

What does that mean? You can't remove the subtitle track that translates only signs and text?

Maybe they read my suggestion that was argued shortly after:S...?

• Administrator

Your old CRT TV should display it correctly with the 'normal' look (more faster because of the amount of information picked up), but your HDTV won't (hence why I've not upgraded to HD) and will either show lines, or taken them and make it look more film-like. The old Megastar DVD of 'A Better Tomorrow' will be a poor transfer anyway, but your HDTV might make it look worse.

IVL put this one out in one of their conversion jobs, but it contained a piss-poor soundtrack. MB is better in all areas thankfully :).

As much as it took ages the last time, I think I'll get mine from Amazon Marketplace and not PlayUSA.

Chen Lung- You slightly misread my post. Actually I was talking about how it looked messed up on my old TV. I haven't had a chance to view it on the HD one yet. But today I tried my Celestial/IVL DVD of DEADLY DUO's Elegant Trails- again on the old TV- and it looked great. No weird lines. Can anyone explain?

Running Man- I was able to remove the "sign" subs- they're optional. ;) When you pick English dubbed audio, the "signs and written info" subs seem to automatically come on. But if you push the subtitle button on your remote until it says "off" they do not appear.

Shaw Scope Guy- Your Media Blasters DVD of THE DEADLY DUO came with liner notes?! :o Like a little booklet? Mine didn't. :( It has the cardboard slipcover and that's it.

not really a fan of the movie, I bought it to get the eng dub and to support the companies actually releasing somewhat decient versions in the USA!

The Running Man
Running Man- I was able to remove the "sign" subs- they're optional. When you pick English dubbed audio, the "signs and written info" subs seem to automatically come on. But if you push the subtitle button on your remote until it says "off" they do not appear.

Thanks a lot KUNG FU BOB. :)

Shaolin Patriot
Hey Guys, did I hear correctly that some people's MB version of DEADLY DUO came with liner notes?

I received my copy yesterday from Deep Discount and it did NOT include liner notes (neither as a booklet nor as an option on the disc itself). There was no mention of it on the packaging either. I don't believe MB would print some with liners and some without. At least I hope not :S

• Administrator
Its a great copy......i love the liner notes. :)

WTF?

I remember something else came out recently (it may have also been a MB release- can't remember for sure) and some copies had the liner notes, and some didn't. I remember somebody saying on a thread that they didn't get them, and I think Teako posted them for the guy. Maybe it was SEVEN GRANDMASTERS?

If anybody has them (I-m talking to you Shaw Scope Guy), can you please post them? ;)

oldeschool17
WTF?

I remember something else came out recently (it may have also been a MB release- can't remember for sure) and some copies had the liner notes, and some didn't. I remember somebody saying on a thread that they didn't get them, and I think Teako posted them for the guy. Maybe it was SEVEN GRANDMASTERS?

If anybody has them (I-m talking to you Shaw Scope Guy), can you please post them? ;)

It was Seven Grandmasters, cause my copy is void of those liner notes.