Full Moon Scimitar Questions

Guest angryguest

Guest angryguest

I could not helped but noticed these....

1) Is this movie somehow related to "Death Duel" because Third Master (used scimitar, instead of using the sword) also appeared?

2) There is a scene where part of soundtrack sounds like from "The Savage Five".

Anyone else noticed these?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jmungus

1 not that i can imagine

2 wouldnt know in this particular case but generally speakin, its pretty likely, since shaw soundtracks come from a music library and shaws would re-use many of them all the time. same with sound fx.

maybe its just biased but i got the impression its particularly evident in chu yuan movies, using the same few themes over and over and over again (sometimes in 'remixed' versions)

Guest Feng Gang

I think it is a spin off of sorts to Death Duel. Derek Yee practically plays the opposite of what he was (Ah Chi). The pieces seem to fit IMO. 3rd Master disappeared from combat and left behind all of his swords. In this movie, he's MUCH older and claims to not have any swords and still he's withdrawn from any combat. That's evidence enough for me...

Morgoth Bauglir

This is the best movie I’ve seen in awhile. Reminds me a bit of Soul of the Sword, and others. The Magic Blade was my favorite from Chor Yuen, but it has been replaced by this. A delicious movie that I will be watching over and over.

I can help you with the first question

I could not helped but noticed these....

1) Is this movie somehow related to "Death Duel" because Third Master (used scimitar, instead of using the sword) also appeared?

Both "Death Duel" and "Full Moon Scimitar" were based on Gu Long's famous martial arts novels. "Deal Duel" was adapted from a novel called "Sword of the Third Master," and "Full Moon Scimitar" was adapted from a sequel novel called "Full Moon Curved Sabre."

Although these Shaw adaptations took their own liberty to squeeze the long novels into 90 minutes adaptations by often taking their own liberty to change the storyline or plots, what is true to the source is that in the sequel, The Third Master, Xie Xiao Feng, was already retired from the martial realm and he was being challenged by a young swordsman with talent and rising popularity in the realm, Ding Peng, the main character of "Full Moon Scimitar."

Iron_Leopard
On 7/19/2010 at 8:05 AM, Morgoth Bauglir said:

This is the best movie I’ve seen in awhile. Reminds me a bit of Soul of the Sword, and others. The Magic Blade was my favorite from Chor Yuen, but it has been replaced by this. A delicious movie that I will be watching over and over.

I really enjoyed this too. Probably the most atmospheric Chor Yuen film I've seen yet. And that's saying something. Also great fights and lots of beautiful women to look at.

The first 15 minutes of this actually reminded me of the first 15 minutes of "The Supreme Swordsman" which also starred Derek Yee.

Archived