Shaw Bros. James Bond

Guest Shaolin Patriot

Guest Shaolin Patriot

After having seen Man From Hong Kong with Jimmy Wang Yu, I immediately thought that Chow Yun Fat could have played the role much better (although I enjoyed Jimmy's performance too). Does anyone know if SB ever considered a spy series, patterned after James Bond? Again, I think Chow would have been an ideal lead actor. It seems the closest they came was with Interpol (1967).

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

Paul Chang did the spy thing in a couple of 60s Bond-lite thrillers THE GOLDEN BUDDHA and THE BLACK FALCON.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I think Kurata would have made a good James Bond type lead, I know the Japanese made some James Bond knock offs. One that comes to mind is the film Key of Keys which was redubbed into a comedy by Woody Allen and called What's Up Tiger Lilly?

Guest venomchamber

Don't forget Lily Ho's ANGEL WITH THE IRON FIST, ANGEL STRIKES AGAIN, THE BRAIN STEALERS, and THE LADY PROFESSIONAL. Tina Chin Fei was THE TEMPTRESS OF 1,000 FACES and even Cheng Pei-Pei got into it with OPERATION LIPSTICK.

operationlipstickpx0.jpg

Jimmy Wang Yu starred in ASIA-POL. (below)

120gt8.jpg

Guest venomchamber

oh, here's a little info:

THE MILLION EYES OF SUMMARU is a Shaw co-production with Shirley Eaton, Frankie Avalon, George Nader and Paul Chang Chung that's both a Fu Manchu parody as well as a spy film. This occasionally turns up on late night television and is not available on VHS or DVD...too bad MGM stopped releasing the old A.I.P. films to DVD just last year!

Next time ABC-TV channel 7 in NY, TBS or TNT run it, treat yourself. All of the famous Shaw sets seen in Come Drink With Me are used as locations! Its weird seeing Frankie Avalon & co. walking around the Shaw lot!

millioneyesofsumuruthelcj1.jpg

...and reluctantly, The ANGEL STRIKES AGAIN is not yet available on DVD at this time, only VCD.

angelstrikesagainsj1.jpg

(That should make some people happy, You know who you are!)

Thanks everyone. I can see Jimmy's Bond-ian presence in the Asia-POL photo.

Jimmy looks a lot like George Lazenby. LOL!

:D

• Administrator

George "One-time" Lazenby is in the news of late. He's getting a divorce.

I heard it's so he can watch more kung fu films in peace....

....okay, I heard that last part...

...when I said it...

...to myself. :angel:

George "One-time" Lazenby is in the news of late. He's getting a divorce.

I heard it's so he can watch more kung fu films in peace....

See, what'd I tell you?

LOL.

I've never heard of OPERATION LIPSTICK before. Has it ever come out on R3 DVD from Celestial/IVL? I've never seen it in the Shaw sections of the Chinatown stores I go to and I think I would have taken notice of a Cheng Pei Pei secret agent movie if I had.

Guest Markgway
I've never heard of OPERATION LIPSTICK before. Has it ever come out on R3 DVD from Celestial/IVL?

No. Sadly it's on the currently MIA list alongside The Brain-Stealers. :(

how is interpol?

INTERPOL was more entertaining to me than the other Shaw Bond rip-offs. It has a sense of humor and includes some funny scenes featuring Li Kun as the hero's comical sidekick. Tang Ching plays the hero, a secret agent masquerading as a heavy-smoking, hard-drinking, womanizing gambler. He has love scenes with quite a few hot babes. He's clearly having a good time in the role, which is more than can be said for Jimmy Wang Yu in ASIA-POL.

Shaw Scope Guy

Lily Ho's THE LADY PROFESSIONAL was my favorite of the bunch mentioned here. I think Lily Ho is so hot!! :P

Has anyone seen Chow Yun Fat's The Bund by Shaw Brothers?

I've seen SB's The Bund (Chow Yun Fat) in the movie theatre when they got released long time ago.

The Bund Part 1 & 2 were not new produced movies. SB was using the original series footages and was cutting them into two part movies.

Archived