Boxer's Omen - Image DVD review

Guest killer meteor

Guest Markgway

I still think the bi-lingual actors are the way to go... but that's just me. :P

Like the film I watched last week BROTHERHOOD, I established this was intended as Cantonese because Tony Liu and Lily Li both appeared to be speaking Cantonese, even though they could both speak Mandarin if they had wanted to. Hu Chin appeared to speak Mandarin, but then she's from Taiwan.

It's not as difficult to tell as we make out. Very few times am I really stumped.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as many actors adapted to whatever the person they were working with in the scene spoke. While that scene may be Cantonese, the next may be Mandarin, etc. I would simply list the films as Cantonese/ Mandarin in most cases, as in nearly every film there's actors speaking mixtures of languages (Thai, Mandarin, Cantonese, and Korean), and films were released in Cantonese and Mandarin in both types of theaters. But it's clear everyone's got a different way of looking at it though.

Guest drunkenmantis13

I received mine today. When did Image drop the slipcase? Was Black Magic the only one to get it or do Inframan and Water Margin have one?

Can't wait to see this baby! Looks mindblowing! :eek

And is there a website that list all Image current and upcoming releases in some way? The Image website isn't very helpful unless i know the title i want to look for...

:x

Guest Atomic Mystery Monster
When did Image drop the slipcase? Was Black Magic the only one to get it or do Inframan and Water Margin have one?

I can confirm that THE SUPER INFRAMAN has a slipcover and I think that THE WATER MARGIN has 'em too. Personally, I hope they do away with slipcovers. They always get damaged by price stickers and they seem like a huge waste of paper and money.

Guest Markgway
But it's clear everyone's got a different way of looking at it though.

Yep. :)

So is the Image presentation of The Water Margin better than IVL's? I'm not talking about packaging or extras, but image, audio and subtitles. Does anyone have any screen caps. I can match from my IVL. This forum needs comparisons.

Guest drunkenmantis13

Ok thanks! So Boxer's Omen doesn't have one?

People who don't like them can simply throw them away, it's simple.

I like having slipcases, so i think it sucks that they also started with them and drop it during the course...

Guest Lei Kung

Just picked this up at Bestbuy, but haven't watched it yet. There's a special offer for a free poster included. Has anyone sent away for it? Is it worth getting excited for 6 to 8 weeks over?

Guest venomchamber

Yes! By all means take advantage of it! :D

Its a great poster! They've enlarged it from its original 20x32 size to 28x42! It will come to you rolled in about a month and you'll also be on their mailing list and receive a postcards depicting their latest Shaw releases.

They've also done the poster offer for BLACK MAGIC and THE CAVE OF SILKEN WEB! You should get these as well since both of these are great posters! :D

Its the least we can get from Image since they aren't providing English dubbed audio tracks as an option. :rolleyes

...and they're FREE! :rollin

Guest Lei Kung

Thanks for the info. I looked at my copy of CoSW and found not one but two postcards for free posters. I suppose if anyone wants to give me their address I can get them a free poster.

Killer Meteor

Are there any more releases aside from the Image DVD (which I imagine has the blurry frame problem) or the IVL VCD?

Japanese DVD. has Canto & Mandarin, 2 Original Trailers and is a tad better than the US Disc. (it's like a HK DVD PAL-NTSC converted with PAL Speed). no English Subs of course.

Killer Meteor
Japanese DVD. has Canto & Mandarin, 2 Original Trailers and is a tad better than the US Disc. (it's like a HK DVD PAL-NTSC converted with PAL Speed). no English Subs of course.

And probably costs both arms and legs, but still...thanks! I'll keep my eyes open!

Archived