The Long and Short Of It....

Guest BleuVenom

Guest BleuVenom

Some friends and I were having quite the heated? and interesting discussion as to whether a person's perception of skill in kung fu changed or seemed enhanced due to their styling of hair.

For example, Half of us felt that we leaned more towards The Venoms' Kid With The Golden Arms, Five Venoms, Invincible Shaolin, Sword Stained With Royal Blood, Return Of The Five Venoms etc., whereas the others felt that The Venoms's roles were better without the long hair and top knots in films like Rebel Intruders, Avenging Warriors Of Shaolin, The Magnificent Ruffians, and The Daredevils.

Personally, I like them all. But what do you guys think? Would the long hair appear to give Ti Lung or Pai Piao better edge in sword skills or what of Chen Kuan Tai's boxing being effected because he had shorter hair (hence the Samson Syndrome)?

Long haired or top knotted VS short and natural:

Ti Lung (Magic Blade) or Ti Lung in (The Duel)

David Chiang (Shaolin Mantis) or (Savage Five)

Chen Kuan Tai (The Master) or (Boxer From Shantung)

The Venoms; Lo Lieh; Jimmy Wang Yu; Wang Lung Wei; Fu Sheng and Chi Kuan Chun; Li I Min etc.

You get the picture. Whatever film you insert which crop did you leaned more towards?

BleuVenom

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee

I prefer the long haired look so I might be biased, but I perceive characters with long hair to edge those with short hair skill-wise as a general rule in the kung fu universe.

Guest Ching li

so this sounds like what you prefer the modern look or the period look, in that case i prefer the modern look the actor have. I feel they fight better with the modern look because they don't have so much hold them back like the long wigs and long robes they wear.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I don't really care if the hair is short or long as long as the fighting is good, I don't think the hair has much to do with it but I could understand having to wear a wig could be a nuisence. The long hair adds the appropriate atmosphere/vibe to the period films and the same for the short hair in the moderns.

Guest fabhui

I must admit and without sounding ignorant....I'm sat here laughing my head of at this thread! :rollin

Guest sevenhooks

I had to laugh too when I first read this, but then I gave it some serious thought.

Honestly, I believe there is most likely very little if ANY change to the fighting style of the Venoms from film to film.

They do their acrobatic, Taiwanese Opera thing.

That's what they do.

However, it's not hard for me to imagine someone like Pops changing up the choreography on a film, depending on the period in which it takes place (ie. Ching or Republic, etc.).

Yeah, I could see it.

Guest Tosh

I really see no difference in fighting skills if the hair is short or long. I always liked the pigtail, when they wrap it around their neck before they fight for some reason.

Guest Lei Kung

Long hair all the way. :hat :hat :hat

So it's been about three years since I've so much as brushed my hair. Any sort of martial arts or sports is very difficult without pulling my hair back. It would take a real badass to be able to whoop somebody with long hair hanging freely. I've recently gotten my hair put in dreads. I've got a long hemp strand braided into one of them which I really want to attach a lance tip to. Nobody else out here understands how badass it would be to use ones long hair as a weapon.

Guest teako170
I always liked the pigtail, when they wrap it around their neck before they fight for some reason.
Plus it makes for a good snack! :D

ckc_showdown.jpg

Guest Feng Gang

I think it would be better if they just had a variety instead of everybody havin the same cut.

Guest CHIANG FU

I would have to say that I prefer the movies where they all have long hair. It's not as much about the hairstyle as it is about the fact that, to me, these movies just seem to have deeper, more sinister plots.

Like when the General tried to take over by stirring up trouble among the North and South Shaolin students to get them to hate each other and fight and destroy themselves before anyone could investigate and find out the real truth in INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN.

And like on THE FIVE VENOMS when a teacher's first two pupils bribe a Judge to frame their fifth classmate for a murder that they committed in an attempt to get their greedy hands on some treasure.

I mean, just picture it...

Could you imagine Lo Meng busting through that door on THE KID WITH THE GOLDEN ARMS with his gold vest, gold boots, gold arm bands...and short hair?!

And when you see Wei "The Snake" Pei's character on THE FIVE VENOMS standing there in that shiny silver outfit and robe, you know that long hair with the shiny silver ribbon looks a lot better than if he had short, cropped hair!

And how about that movie THE WEIRD MAN?

You tell me...would he have really stood out without that long, wild hair? What would have made him different from anyone else?

On the other hand...

I could never imagine Gordon Liu as THE MASTER KILLER with a long braid, or a top knot!

So believe you me, there are definitely also some very cool movies where they all have short hair.

Like MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS a.k.a. THE DESTROYERS where Lu Feng is a rich guy who pretends he wants to be friends when he generously offers to take these three homeless guys in, when in fact, he's a cold-hearted killer who just likes to lure unsuspecting victims into having martial arts contests with him so he can kill them just for sport.

But LONG story SHORT...:D

The movies where they all have the long hair are by far the best.

Guest drunkenmantis13

:lol Good thread man!

Seriously i don't think it affects the characters/actors performance/strenght in any way. Venoms are powerful no matter the hair as you pointed yourself. :P

But i personally prefer the period/long hair style as i find it more classy, i dunno. For Ti Lung/DC/CKT, i actually think they look much more badass with short haircuts. But they also look more classy, important, respected, whatever with long period hairstyles.

:\

Guest daTOAD

thanks for the image teako170. thats why CKC stands out in my memory when i was watching these as a kid . he was always my fave, the way he wrapped his braid around his neck-to cool:hat

Archived