Shadow Boxer: Finally Watched It

Guest kungfusamurai

Guest kungfusamurai

I bought the movie a couple of years ago, but never sat down to watch it all the way through. I forgot (or didn't realize) that it was a movie based on the use of Tai Chi Chuan, which is interesting, since I only know of its use in films from the 80s and later.

I felt some parts were weird, like how he gets away from the Jin househeld when we see him surrounded by all those men (he just suddenly appears in that field to see his master/friend die). I also didn't like the acting of the lead. Other than his tai chi skills, I wonder why he was cast as the lead? He didn't have much emotional range, and when he tried to smile, he looked like he was baring his teeth in pain. Was he supposed to be the next Bruce Lee?

What happened to the lead actor, anyway? Somewhere I read he committed suicide. Is this true, and any reason why (he couldn't handle the fame; he was mentally unstable)?

Overall, I thought the film is a good watch. Not the best, most exciting choreography, but it's well done for an early 70s film. The use of tai chi isn't as glamorous or exciting to watch like in later films such as Tai Chi 2 or Tai Chi Master, but its still interesting to see it being used in such an early film.

KFS

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest teako170

Only watched this once. A bit of a disappointment if I recall. I got it because it was directed by Pao Hsueh Lieh whom I really like.

I agree the lead, Chen Wo Fu, was rather dull. Don't know why he committed suicide. Not sure if this is the same flick or not but didn't Chen only fight in the last 10 minutes of the film? I realize the plot is about him abstaining from fighting but could you imagine "The Big Boss" with Bruce only fighting in the final sequence?

Guest jmungus

similar story here. i`d spin the disc, skippin thru chapters a bit, aint seen anything that would look too hot, so its been sittin on the shelf forever now and i still havent watched the whole thing.

it cant possibly be a good one, if i get that particular vibe from previewing a movie.

Guest chen lung

but I do like the interesting principles of Tai Chi that are projected throughout (how retaliation usually causes strife/keeping the peace) for instance.

Chen commited suicide from gas poisoning. His first and only film I think - He wasn't too bad (he had good charisma, but somewhat poor direction). It is interesting that he is a genuine practitioner in real life, but I don't know what his problem here is. Either he wasn't good at it, he had trouble adapting to the screen or there wasn't enough inspiritation from the choreographer for effectiveness.

Too many zoom up shots to compensate the lacking Tai Chi 'practitioners', not that it excuses the lousy action from contracted folks who couldn't hammer through single-layered 4th generation unrecycled wet toilet paper.

I'd skip through this one or atrociously re-edit it to showcase any defining moments (probably only about 8 minutes - being very kind). The only merits (among the principles) I could give include it being one of the (seemingly) very few feature-length motion pictures to represent Tai Chi (anyone know of others?), let alone an era of 1974. Although from Shaws, I didn't expect too much. Considering the shitty pay the cast/crew received (if they ever did), I wouldn't blame this flawed production on them nessesarily. I guess enthusiasm wasn't much of a priority, which is a shame as it could have been good :( .

Guest kungfusamurai

He doesn't actually use his Tai Chi skills until the very end, but he kind of fights in earlier sequence. It was all about 'tolerance'. Too bad his teacher didn't teach him about tolerance, but fighting back when things get really bad or when you have no choice. He only fights back after so many friends of his die. Makes you wonder if they would have died had he been more pro-active.

I think I was kept interested because I was hoping for a pay-off fight scene. But it wasn't really worth the wait. Oh well, you never know how good or bad a film until you see it yourself.

KFS

I guess I'm in the minority, because I loved this one. Part of it is because I'm a Tai Chi practitioner, and I'm just glad we SOMETIMES get to see it presented as the martial art that it historically was, instead of a new-age hippy excercise for the elderly. I liked some of the slo-mo effects of the Tai Chi techniques during his training with his teacher, and in the end it just turned into a good ol' early 70's basher. Also, Frankie Wei just makes the best villain--damn, I hate that guy >:

:lol

The lead guy was OK, and I liked the story, the Tai Chi fighting and concepts, and in general I love the early 70's Shaw bashers, so this gets a thumbs up from me.

Guest Stuntman Jules

Pao Sueh Li was not that good a director, every film I've seen from him has left me unimpressed. THE SHADOW BOXER kind of has it's moments, but the best thing about it is Shih Szu.

Guest ODH1

I liked it, but recall that after a while the "tai chi" simply seemed to be blocking alot.

there are better movies that feature the internal styles lik "undaunted wudang"

Was he supposed to be the next Bruce Lee?

dunno but he has quite same looks and physique.I watched movie today when saw this topic.I enjoyed it more than f.e.3 evil masters,young vagabond or lion vs.lion....story was good one(yes,there is similarities to Big Boss).and in the end there was some serious punching:)(+kicks by shih szu)...only thing which bothered me a bit was Ku Dings patience,any normal man would have kicked butt lot earlier:cool:...gets my recommendation.

Never understood why they let him take such a beating in this film... I remember reading in an old publication of Martial Arts Movies, they said no one in the film pulled their punches and kicks on him, and he later died from injuries sustained making the film. The one scene where the guy jumps from the balcony onto his stomach is particularly disturbing...:(

Archived