Celestials Website - Reloaded you might say

magicpoe

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brigadier Chow

Damn, this situation is going from bad to worse. I guess I won't be getting rid of my King's video copy.

Guest Chemical Lemon

Supreme Swordsman is in there, you gotta start with "The.." for it to come up. Assuming this is the same Supreme Swordsman (1984 - Chang Kuo Ming, Derek Yee, Pai Piao). I like the fact that options pop up when you put in the search, but besides that their search is a little to picky (shouldn't have to put in "the").

So far with the exception of "the Winged Tiger", it all seems to be exactly the same as Ivy's list. 596 total, with 526 released so far. Leaving 70 remaining.

I remember there was a movie that popped up on a couple of lists around the time Ivy put the list out that had "Love with an Alien" 1958 on them (supposedly being in last weeks batch). Anybody know where this title came from, was it some kind of mistranslation/mistake? Celestial's site seems to be further confirmation that it's some kind of mistake.

Guest Chemical Lemon

I checked the number of titles under each letter, and accounting for "the winged Tiger" and 3 entries for "The 82 Tenants" there is the exact number that have been released or were on the prior list. 596. I didn't check to make sure everything on the old list was there, but assuming that nothing is missing, there should be nothing else that wasn't on the list.

in case anyone is looking for Disciples of the 36th chamber, it's under "ciples of the 36th chamber", whoops.

Guest iron flag

Shame about the missing ones.Good to see the 2 most(?) asked about titles: 5 Element Ninja and Kid from Kwangtung on there. What's Tigress of Shaolin? Dont think I've heard of it.

Guest sevenhooks

Tigress of Shaolin is a really fun vehicle for Hui Ying Hung and Liu Chia Yung.

It was Hui Ying Hung's first starring role I believe.

Kung Fu comedy with some esoteric, bizarre styles (leprosy kung fu, etc.).

Liu Chia Liang's older sister, who apparently had a somewhat storied acting career back in the day does a great Sam Seedish type turn as the teacher.

A bit heavy on the slapstick side but also a lot of good action (plenty of Drunken Master ingredients/elements can be seen throughout).

Not really well known as this was never really well distributed on the underground bootleg circuit over the years.

Still a definite must see though.

7.5 out of 10

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Bloody Parrot

Heads For Sale

on the roster for release,

YES! YES! YES!

That's too bad though about the horrors and others. Some other company (hopefully) will release these flicks.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Hi Chemical Lemon

When I was at Celestial's offices, I met the Vice-President of Film Marketing. He was very proud of the fact that Celestial had managed to remaster 1958's Love With An Alien which was a rare black & white movie starring Asian Movie Queen Lucilla Yu Ming. This was Shaw's first collaboration with a Korean film company. In fact he opened the conversation with a discussion of this movie. However I questioned the market for such an old film and said Celestial should release Deadly Angels, Hellgate, Dark Rendezvous & Ching Li's wu xia Mission Impossible. He explained that sometimes decisions are made for artistic reasons and not for profitability.

Guest iron flag

>sometimes decisions are made for artistic reasons and not for profitability.<

I guess things are a lot different there than in Hollywood!!!

Look at the bright side; No missing Venoms movies!!! (I think I'm getting aroused)

Guest mahsingyi

Well, if the company choses movies upon their artistic before their business values as well, then why the heck don't they release "Temperament of Life" which in terms of art and value stands head and shoulders above the rest of this genre output by the studio??? Aside from an all star cast and extras, it is more than on par with the comedy/drama gem "House of the 72 Tenants", which as everybody knows has rocked the box offices and bedazzled the critics as well. So can anybody explain why this film is missing on the HK release list whilst crap like "Magic Baby" et al has been/ or will be released??????

Just scratching my balding scalp...;((((

Guest 5th Yang

Ok, so can anyone here answer what then happens to all the reels of the films that Celestial wont be releasing? Do they sit another 20-30 years down in a cellar and rot away or are they given back to Shaw Studios and refunded part of the millions they spent?

I'm still pissed off about "To Kill A Mastermind" not being released by the way.>: >: >: >:

5th Yang

Guest sevenhooks
Artistic reasons, eh?

Was that before or after they decided to @#%$ the audio?

:rollin

post of the month!!

Guest Markgway

I'm making a list in a new thread regarding what titles are not coming out that can maybe be stickied for future reference.

Check it out.

Guest Chemical Lemon

Hey, thanks for the info Ivy, well looks like they must've taken your advice since they seem to have dropped it. Must admit I'm pretty interested in all the really old movies, but if they have to pick and choose I guess I'd probably prefer all the ones you mentioned, hopefully someone will reconsider these at some point.

Guest thundered mantis

Uhh this is indeed shocking and depressing news for me. Many titles I was eagerly awaiting are on the non-to-be-released list:

To Kill A MasterMind

I´ll Finally Knock You Dad

Hong Kong Godfather

Ghosts Galore

Other people will have different titles in their personal lists, but now the only important questions are: are the "non-to-be-released" titles lost except by boots? I mean, is there any chance they can be acquired by any other company which puts them out (on DVD or cable networks or whatever)? Has Celestial bought them and plans to sit on them, or are they open to negotiation for any other companies to get the films, or is it simply that those were not bought by Celestial? If that´s the case, what are the chances any other company (Weisensteins or whatever) can buy the rights and release them?

and I'll say it again, they've already got most of the "missing" titles on offer. This is simply what isn't getting released in Hong Kong, and even then the site isn't finished, so more may be added. The films have already been remastered unless they were just falling apart and another company can pick them up. I doubt Dragon Dynasty will buy anymore at this point.

Guest Markgway

I think what concerns people is that if these titles aren't gonna be released in HK then where are they gonna be released? Taiwan? Western releases aren't likely unless some small distributor picks up the drabs on the cheap. But Celestial I'm sure would rather let them stew than give bargain prices for less important titles. Maybe if someone were to specifically seek out the martial arts jobs... but whom?? It looks bleak to me. :(

Guest Markgway

Seriously? Companies that are after the ones that slipped thru the cracks? Cool. Keep us posted. :)

Guest thundered mantis

Thanks for explaining it, Linn :D .

Now, my last question on the subject, I promise: what about To Kill a MasterMind? Threads before you said it wasn´t on the "Celestial for companies" list, neither. Do you think that one is lost, or there are chances it will surface legit (from Celestial or from any other company)?

Thanks again!

Archived