New Game Of Death (aka Goodbye Bruce Lee, His Last Game of Death) (1975)

Guest killer meteor

Killer Meteor
Exactly. Linda Lee had to get attorneys to get Raymond Chow to hand over appropriate accountings of Bruce's films, which Chow was quite defiant. These litigations proceeded and finally culminated in 1975/76. She then ended up selling the rights of full ownership of Bruce's end of Concord, including Game of Death, to Chow shortly thereafter. Raymond was very uncooperative with Lee's Estate and dragged this affair as far as he could.(Possibly because of Triad involvement with GH bookeeping; supposedly, there were two sets of books):l. Warner Bros. was a saving grace because they were a big US Corporation, and Chow didn't/couldn't take them on. Linda had saved all of Bruce's correspondances, Bruce wrote everything down, and it proved to her benefit.

Few may know this but several of those Bruceploitation films had The Estate's backing, and a few others were sued in court. When I say backing, I mean The Estate received profits. They were racking up on Bruce on both sides. :l

By the early eighties, it was on to publicizing Lee's Tao of JKD, and securing MCA marketing of his name and likeness for profit on books, posters, clothing, toys, conventions, games, etc.

CHA--CHING!!!

Do you know which Bruceploitation films had the backing? For some reason I suspect Bruce Lee: The Man, The Myth.

The Bruce Thomas book says Linda planned to make a bio-pic in the 70's starring one Alex Kwon. Who?

The Alex Kwon (an unknown Kung fu practicioner picked from a talent serach) movie was going to be directed by Robert Clouse, financed by Warners and produced by Jon Peters. Warners kept cutting the budget and the project folded.

I suspect NONE of the Bruceploitation pics had any backing from the Linda Lee. She did sue the distributors of at least one title and so that did bring cash in...obviously she did back DRAGON the Bruce Lee Story...which was as bad (in terms of historical fact) as the HK/Taiwan movies.

I suspect NONE of the Bruceploitation pics had any backing from the Linda Lee.

Not true. Though she couldn't stop the productions, Linda was paid by a couple of those low budgeted companies. I would need to go back into my notes and find the information, howevver, Bruce Lee: the Man, The Myth, is one of those films.

Btw, what happened to this Alex Kwon guy? I remembered the name as soon as Killer Meteor mentioned it. There were photos of him in Fighting Stars magazine back in '75/76, and then... nothing. There was once a rumour the film WAS made and was terribly below expectations and shelved. Kung Fu Monthly ran a two pt. article featuring the screenplay. I still have those issues, and can try and scan them here at another time, if anyone is interested.

Chinatown Kid

I read in I believe Blecker's book that Adrian Marshall had a lawsuit against Eternal films, I assumed this was over The Man/Myth which was an Etrenal film production so wouldn't think that film got the Estate's backing?

Killer Meteor
I read in I believe Blecker's book that Adrian Marshall had a lawsuit against Eternal films, I assumed this was over The Man/Myth which was an Etrenal film production so wouldn't think that film got the Estate's backing?

Maybe Bruce's Deadly Kung Fu (the one with Bruce Li and Hwang Jang-lee). The dub for that calls Bruce 'Bob' - a possible legal change?

Chinatown Kid
Maybe Bruce's Deadly Kung Fu (the one with Bruce Li and Hwang Jang-lee). The dub for that calls Bruce 'Bob' - a possible legal change?

That's a definate possibility, I had forgot about that film. Don't know how I could have forgot that insane wig on HJL's head though lol. :D

I hope Celestial don't add the Shaw logo to this (or any other non-Shaw films).

Cover has SB logos and in beginning of movie Shaw trompettas appear:neutral:

LMAOROTF!!!!

:xd:

Watching it now.40 mins gone,some(maybe 5 mins in total) crap fighting and one of stupidest storylines with full of plotholes:cry:

Cover says it`s 2.35:1 but it`s certainly not.Tho I could not care less:cry:

Just watched this again, and on a second viewing, I have to say this falls into the "so bad it's good" category. This is a camp classic! Starting with the dumb gymnastics intro, to the disco theme song that plays throughout the movie. The fights are uniformly terrible, where you can constantly see the stuntmen pausing and trying to wait until the star is ready before they attack. And then when they get to the pagoda---the interior sets look like they were from a 3rd grade school play, and as he goes up the levels, from the flabby, growling white wrestler guy, to the 5th rate Muhammad Ali, to the bell-bottom wearing whip master at the top, each opponent is more lame than the one before! :bigsmile:

Killer Meteor

Doesn't look 16mm to me - just looks like the one on the DVD.

There is a different US trailer I once saw a segment of on a Bruce documentary.

Doesn't look 16mm to me - just looks like the one on the DVD.

There is a different US trailer I once saw a segment of on a Bruce documentary.

I concur KM...it had footage from The Big Boss mixed in with it.

Killer Meteor
Bruce Lee in a Shaw Brothers movie??? Buahahhahhaaa!

Shaws (or Celestial anyway) own New Game of Death in HK, they may have distributed it. It's definetly a Taiwanese import though, not a Shaw house production.

Secret Executioner

The music in this trailer is awesome. But is it me or is the Bruce-alike in this pretty bad ? He doesn't really look like Bruce (though there's worse) and his fighting is rather sub par, even for a Bruce-alike - or maybe I'm just growing more critical of the Bruceploitation films or maybe it's the fact you get something like that from Shaw Brothers... But still, the fighters in the tower seem creative and that "he's the king of kung fu" song ROCKS.

I concur KM...it had footage from The Big Boss mixed in with it.

Holy smoke, must be something. :tongue:

Shaws (or Celestial anyway) own New Game of Death in HK, they may have distributed it. It's definetly a Taiwanese import though, not a Shaw house production.

IIRC, Shaw Brothers has distributed a lot of movies produced in Taiwan - some of Chang Cheh's films for instance (as he produced them locally and SB exported them),

Killer Meteor
The music in this trailer is awesome. But is it me or is the Bruce-alike in this pretty bad ? He doesn't really look like Bruce (though there's worse) and his fighting is rather sub par, even for a Bruce-alike - or maybe I'm just growing more critical of the Bruceploitation films or maybe it's the fact you get something like that from Shaw Brothers... But still, the fighters in the tower seem creative and that "he's the king of kung fu" song ROCKS.

Holy smoke, must be something. :tongue:

IIRC, Shaw Brothers has distributed a lot of movies produced in Taiwan - some of Chang Cheh's films for instance (as he produced them locally and SB exported them),

It's an early Bruce Li movie, he's credited as Li Hsiao Lung in the Asian prints, and Lee Roy Lung in the export prints. He did improve quickly, but the choreography in this film is very clunky.

It's not a Shaw Taiwanese production like the Chang Cheh pictures. It's a pick-up at best, and should not be considered a Shaw production at all - Celestial adding the SB logo to the film's start does not help!

Secret Executioner
It's an early Bruce Li movie, he's credited as Li Hsiao Lung in the Asian prints, and Lee Roy Lung in the export prints. He did improve quickly, but the choreography in this film is very clunky.

Wait... That was Bruce Li ?! I guess he's improved quite a bit and now I know why I still wanna get this film. I have a lot of Bruce Li films already (some in multiple copies like Fist Of Fury or Bruce Li In New Guinea) and I can't get enough of this guy - hell, I think I should get the Bruce Li shirt from 36 Styles. :tongue:

Wait... That was Bruce Li ?! I guess he's improved quite a bit and now I know why I still wanna get this film. I have a lot of Bruce Li films already (some in multiple copies like Fist Of Fury or Bruce Li In New Guinea) and I can't get enough of this guy - hell, I think I should get the Bruce Li shirt from 36 Styles. :tongue:

Yeah, funny huh?? I believe he had surgery to improve his looks, similar like Jackie Chan... originally, he had a really round face and tighter eyes...

GoodbyeBruceLee-BruceLi9_bb999808917992e5a2aeb10021464174.jpg. BruceLi-TopFighter2052_a2f4069488aef2b62983488b2c473efd.jpg. OEILDUCOBRA-11_95e6bd8632236ce94ba6debcfd8f2cae.jpglibruce_radFDBC8.jpgGoldConnection-BruceLi4_81839a12afaf82479c7decfcd990a764.jpg

Though none of the above shots show him before the surgery, his looks did change considerably anyway... Maybe he had more when they moved him toward leading roles??

The following two are before his Li Shao Lung roles:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiAuFiy2bRAKvXX9Gmhmx57x2sqnRPnr-377oQZwn6TS0XSlV79Aimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2vxU0czKWX9bmKB6bqCSFwtRbh-4m90loDHcMIfha86JrSs10

The only thing remenicent of Lee here is the collar on the shirt: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKR8Om614oJf6TJWjALMJRMqP4gZkynLLOV9J9LXPGX9kkF881

If you want someone to actually finish GOD, here's your man, before he's too old:

832506544.jpg

Cognoscente
On 10/12/2008 at 3:12 PM, The Dragon said:

There was once a rumour the film WAS made and was terribly below expectations and shelved.

It's possible. There have been instances of films which were completely made and shelved. If it was made then I can see why they wouldn't want to advertise that because then it would be a case of advertising failure.

• Like 2