Hero Compared To Boxer From Shantung

Guest Shaolin Patriot

Guest Shaolin Patriot

As far as remakes go, does Hero live up to the same reputation as Boxer? How do you rate Takeshi Kaneshiro's performance and what do you find as Hero's strong points (if any)?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BKarza

Well whamsabi, there is zero comparison.

BfS is a bloody classic. Then and now. Hero was forgettable then and is now. Most remakes fail miserably(except maybe for Cape Fear).

Hero is a shiztophrenic mess of completely unnec. comedy(!), violence and miscasting. It is it's own movie with similarities to BfS but without the heart. Ugh.

The only things that I found engaging about it were Yuens, Tak and Biu. If it were about them, it would have been about something. They had nothing o do with the comedy and only to do with the story.

Rent it but don't watch it thinking of BfS. Go in open minded. Yuen Kwei ain't no Chang Cheh.

Guest ekisha

Kaneshiro is not Chen Kuan Tai for sure.

But i don't understand why people don't like Hero.Let's forget for a while the fact it is a remake.

Have you seen any other kung fu movies made in 97?

In the same year Sammo directed his Once Upon A Time In China and America which was much worse than Hero.I'm Yuen Biao fan and i know he did countless cheap stuffs like Hero Of Swallow and others, anyway i think Hero is a standard kf movie.

I appreciate that someone like Corey Yuen and Yuen Woo Ping are still on business.Otherwise there won't be any kung fu, anymore.

Archived