Boxer From Shantung and Sword of Swords

Guest Argento476

Guest Argento476

Im thinking of getting these films, bceause they just look really action packed and bloody!

Can anyone comment on these films?

Are these the BEST edition's out there?

Thanks!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JowTiger

Boxer from Shantung is a must, I think this is one David Chang's better roles plus the last 10 minutes of the movie alone definitely makes it worth a buy.

I enjoyed Swords of Swords even though I'm not a big Wang Yu fan, but if you enjoyed the One armed swordsman movies you will probably enjoy this one also :smokin

Guest monk sante
Boxer from Shantung is a must, I think this is one David Chang's better roles plus the last 10 minutes of the movie alone definitely makes it worth a buy.

Boxer from Shantung does not star David Chiang........the star of this film is Chen Kuan Tai. Great flick, a must have!

Vengence, which stars David Chiang is also a great flick.;)

Guest Markgway

Sword of Swords is the one I'd go for... Boxer From Shantung has a great finale but is otherwise a bit average.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I agree, "Boxer" has a great finale but everything else was average to me. Vengeance is much better imo. I loved "Sword of Swords", must buy IMO.

Guest killer meteor

Both are great films Boxer From Shantung was the first Shaw I ever saw. Wouldn't surprise me if they have Boxer but I don't think they have Sword Of Swords because Momentum Asia licensed that one

Guest Tosh

Wow, Boxer from Shantung average!?!?! No way, an absolute masterpiece imo.

I liked Sword of Swords, both films are a must own.

Guest Stuntman Jules

THE BOXER FROM SHANTUNG is a little boring maybe, but the ending is like the @#%$ end of THE WILD BUNCH with kung fu. It's that exquisitely bloody.

Guest Kwok Choi

Boxer From Shantung stars Chen Kuan Tai and David Chiang.Boxer From Shantung is a classic movie.Shaw Brothers decided to make a comeback to the world of movie-making after a self imposed hiatus by remaking a new wave version of this film (it was that popular) in 1997 titled Hero with Takeshi Kaneshiro in the Chen Kuan Tai role and Yuen Biao in David Chiang's role.

So you are lucky to have the chance of seeing the original old school Boxer From Shantung and the new wave Hero (1997) and ofcourse please pick up Sword Of Swords.These 3 movies are out; digitally restored and remastered by Celestial Pictures.

"Wow, Boxer from Shantung average!?!?! No way, an absolute masterpiece imo."

Yep, I have to agree with Tosh on this one. I'd rank

Boxer from Shantung as Chang Cheh's best film---a complete classic of HK cinema.

Sword of Swords is not on that level, IMO, but it is an above average Wang Yu movie. Man, I think this movie must set the record for most abuse that a hero has to endure. I mean, he gets beaten up and abused by his older fellow student, his teacher is mad because he doesn't kill the villain, his wife gets abducted, and his own family hates him and his father hits him because he thinks he's a coward--and then things REALLY start to go downhill for him!! :lol :

Guest teako170
Yep, I have to agree with Tosh on this one. I'd rank

Boxer from Shantung as Chang Cheh's best film---a complete classic of HK cinema.

Co-sign. :smokin

Archived