Opinions on Gun Brothers, Invincible Enforcer and Kidnap

Guest mpm74

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest peringaten

Don't know about the other two, but Kidnap is great. Actually, thinking about it, this is probably the best modern-day flick I've yet seen from Shaw's; it really is good. Quite harsh too.

2 things to be aware of - 1 - THERE IS NO KUNG FU IN THIS FILM!! It's listed as a martial arts film, and the case even states there's kung fu in it on the back synopsis! THERE IS NOOOOO KUNG FU IN THIS FILM. None at all - nothing. Instead it's a very nicely done, bleak crime drama.

2nd thing - I'm pretty sure there is a very intrusive cut at the highpoint of the finale, which dissipates the tension somewhat... dulls the film's impact... I think this is down to the use of a cut print for remastering rather than the fault of the original editing...

Either way though, a very good film, worth checking. Quite dark.

Guest deliriocaldo

GUN BROTHERS and INVINCIBLE ENFORCER are both dramas, too.

You should propably check out KIDNAP first, which is the best of the bunch. But if you liked that, you can't go wrong with INVINCIBLE ENFORCER, which is a prison drama that's quite similar in style, although not as bleak as KIDNAP. Good stuff, if you're into that certain kind of over-the-top HK action melodrama...

GUN BROTHERS is one of those old-fashioned war/adventure movies. It's about the resistance against the japanese occupation, but basically it plays like a Zorro film. A little bit of action, a little bit of romance - definitely entertainment for the whole family, but if you're looking for cheap thrills, you might be disappointed. Still, I'd consider it as solid entertainment.

For me, it was especially interesting form a (film-)historical point of view: Some might be offended by its open patriotism and anti-japanese sentiment - especially the last sequence borders on the hilarious -, but I'd understand this as kind of an hommage to the so-called "national defense" films/plays made by travelling chinese propaganda units of the 30s and 40s, as co-director Cheng Gang worked for such a theatre troupe in his youth.

A cut during the finale of KIDNAP? Could you please point to what you have in mind?

Guest peringaten

You know what, I just checked it after your post... and I don't know if it is a cut now, so much as just a really dodgy bit of music use. Right at the end, final shots sort of thing... the music just: gfgfgfhytfg... weird. I just assumed back when I watched it, that it was a cut, now not so sure... I do remember it throwing me with a "what??" that's a bit sloppy, the rest of the film was too well made for that right at the end... threw me out of the movie and into a "huh?"... who knows, might just be sloppy music use on reevaluation - I just had it pegged as down to a cut initially... weird.

Archived