EMPEROR CHIEN LUNG

Guest daTOAD

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest venomchamber

Entertainingly funny Imperial satire.

I thought Liu Yung was great in this series!

*Not too much kung-fu action until Hui Ying Hung shows up.

Guest peringaten

Now you're talking! I LOVE the Chien Lung films!

The film Emperor Chien Lung by director Wong Fung itself was a massive disappointment, it was alright, but not too good... However Li Han Hsiang's follow up set of 4 films are wonderful!! Classic.

I'd recommend skipping the non-Li Han Hsiang film, it's not a part of the series 'so much', and starting with "The Adventures Of Emperor Chien Lung": This film starts from the VERY beginning, at 'conception' as it were... In fact, do the 4 films in release order, seeing as they follow on each other sort of... so, "Adventures", "Voyage", "& the Beauty", "& the Minister"; that order... go back to the original for curiosities sake after those perhaps... Also - start with "Adventures" for sure, the others will make a lot more sense and be more fun then, and you'll have been endeared and raised with the characters... excited to see where they go to next, rather than stumbling upon them mid-way through...

Indeed Adventures is a top 10 Shaw flick for sure for me. Incredibly engrossing, you can tell this is from the man who did Tiger Killer... It has the feel of a kung fu flick, but with wits battles instead... actor Lee Kwan is incredible in these films as Liu Yung's emperor character's friendlyish adversary... Kwan proves himself one of Shaw's finest character actors after the likes of Ku Feng with his spell-binding actorly well-measured comedic performances. Great stuff!

All 4 films are brilliantly directed and look stunning in a way only Li Han Hsiang knew how - Shaw directors don't come better. Even if they did intercut a few scenes from his more grandiose productions skillfully for effect.

Plus each film has a great fighty set-piece where a bunch of stuff gets trashed!

Can't recommend these enough!! If you only do one, do Adventures!! The begininng and best, the follow-ups are more than nice, and it's great to see Kara get on in there as well. Brilliant stuff!

Guest daTOAD

they sound great. looks like Black Tavern, Pursuit of Vengeance, Advertures of... need to find 2 more titles and im good.:D

I recently watched all 5 of these available on the IVL discs.

Emperor Chien Lung - This movie mostly works as a sex comedy. It also has some amusing SFX relating to the emperor's invulnerable vest. Some reasonably good fights as well.

The Li Han-hsiang films follow a basic formula. The Emperor tries to get the best of his Lord Liu, who almost always turns the situation to his advantage. Along the way they have various adventures. The sets and attention to detail are impressive. Unless you really understand Chinese, the long, long "comedy dialogue" scenes may be worth fast-forwarding through.

Some specifics:

Emperor Chien Lung and the Beauty - This has a great gambling/tea house fight featuring Kara Hui Ying-Hung.

The Voyage of Emperor Chien Lung - Kara has a smaller fight in this film.

The Emperor and the Minister - Warning: has some snake abuse.

Lau Wing is a great actor.

He is a really good fighter, but his acting is great also, imo.

I love his Chor Yuen stuff.

He was great in Lady Assassin, Usurpers..., and Secret Service of the Imperial Court..

2 really good 'bad guy' roles in those 3 titles.

One of the best Shaw actors & the 5 movies in the 'E.C.L.' series are worthy.

I didn't like the first Emperor Chien Lung at all, I didn't find it interesting, but the other ones are good, and especially the ones in which Kara Hui fights.

I agree that Liu Yung is a good actor and good fighter and it's too bad that he wasn't in more Shaw movies. I especially liked him in Deadly angels, The convic killer and Clan of amazons.

Archived