Question for mahsingyi...

Guest TanTao2

Guest TanTao2

You may help with your experience::D

Shaw gave to every movie its Film Id No, which Celestial uses too:

Which films are the following:

These movies seem not to be included in any list I saw...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mahsingyi

Well, Shaw did in fact number their output and used a very simple formula to do it. The "1" at the beginning stands for the proud studio ranking at that time. The following two numbers (like "76") stand for the year of production/release, the fourth number (always a "0") was unnecessary as their yearly output never exceeded the 100 films mark. The remaining two numbers stand for the number that the respective movie was produced. Take "Chinese Boxer" for an example:

The number is "170015" which means that in 1970 it was the 15th movie of the year to be produced/released.

Now, to know the titles of those six films one would have to know the exact order of release/production of the movies, which, unfortunately I do not really know.

One can only guess, therefore for 176030 my guess goes towards "Erotic Nights" or "Crazy Bumpkin in Singapore"

178009 could be "The Psychopath" or "Deliquent Teenagers"

179008 and 179009 could be "Legend of Feng Shui", "Naughty Scandals", "Return of the Dead" and "to Kill a Mastermind"

185017 must be either "Love with the Perfect Stranger" or "Twisted Love"

;O)

Guest TanTao2

Thank you very much for your help...back in the ninties I got a Shaw list of these 772 titles they had at that time for "sale" or "available"...the 5 Shaw titles with the Film Id Nos, I am looking for now, were missing on that list...It was neither one of these films you are guessing now, as Erotic Nights, Crazy Bumkin In Singapore, Psychopath, Delinquent Teenagers etc. etc. etc.were/are still on the list with their proper Id No...their must be some other ones which i can not find...Thanks again, I hope we will find out some day...

Guest Ivy Ling Po

176030 - Girls For Sale (Shaw Yin-yin, Ai Ti)

178009 - The Psychopath (Chen Ping, Liu Yung)

179008 - Young Lovers (Derek Yee, Candice Yu On-on)

179009 - The Reckless Cricket (Han Kuo-tsai, Yu Tsui-ling)

185017 - Twisted Passion (Chang Kuo-chu, Tsui Suk-woon)

Guest TanTao2

...your titles do NOT match, I think, as

Girls for Sale is 176027

Psychopath is 178006

Young Lovers is 178030

Reckless Cricket is 179006

Twisted Passion is 185018

Where did you get your Filmd Id Nos from???

Anyway thanks for your input Ivy...

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Got it from the Shaw filmography published by the HKFA.

Using the guidelines posted by Mahsingyi, I counted the releases for that year. Sorry if it is not accurate.

Archived