Lovers Blades and I Will Finally Knock You Down Dad

Guest daTOAD

Guest daTOAD

i heard these titles were not getting a realease. anyone know why? these definetly are NOT classics, but great prints of these films are floating around.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sevenhooks

I gotta disagree with you and say that Lovers' Blades is pretty damn close to / bordering on classic status.

Martial Arts Movies magazine even placed it in their Top 10 kung fu films of 1981 ABOVE Prodigal Son and Masked Avengers!

Now while I might not totally agree with that assessment, I will say that Lovers' Blades is an excellent, fun, kung fu comedy caper and ranks among the best we've seen from Lu Chin-ku.

If anything, it's an UNDERRATED film that doesn't get the kind of props it deserves and now, sadly, it seems as though it's status will remain that way for some time to come.

:(

wanglungwei.jpg

Guest sevenhooks

Also, what are your sources regarding these "great prints" that are "floating around" out there?

If true, this should be brought to Celestial's attention, no?

Guest BKarza

The only Lover's Blades that I'm aware of, is the one with the Korean subs. Those are always rather dark and make the movies look dated. It's Lu Chun Ku's only other fu flick with Shaw. All of the others were wu xia based in action style. It's rather annoying, but I love it, as Meng Yuan Man gets to get off again. Hui Ying Hung is dope as all hell. Yuan Tak gets a nice bit. Candy Wen is made to look like a million and Kuan Feng and Wang Lung Wei get theirs as well. Hsu Hsia did the action and it-is-top-of-the-line. Seriously. Time to give Hsu Hsia his just due as one of the best. Movie itself can be hard to take.

IWFKYDD was released on video tape.(canto and mand) I saw it years ago. Rented it from a video store. Same company(?) that released Holy Flame of the Martial World, Ghosts Galore and the abysmal Crazy Shaolin Disciples. I saw the canto version.

Guest Markgway

I've seen 'I'll Finally Knock..." and it's pretty bad I must say... a lot poorer than the snappy 'Fast Fingers' from the same team.

I'm gonna try tracking down copies of all the ones Celestial aren't releasing... I hate the idea of missing a good film completely.

So if anyone has these MIA titles to trade PM me and we can keep them in circulation. :)

Brigadier Chow

"I Will Finally..." was released on Ocean Shores laserdisc in the late 80's, full screen but decent print.

Guest BKarza

Ah ha, that's what it was. Those were Ocean Shores videos.(LD to vhs?) They came in both dialects.

Guest daTOAD

"Also, what are your sources regarding these "great prints" that are "floating around" out there?

If true, this should be brought to Celestial's attention, no?"

Uhmm, the videos sitting on my shelf.|I

Guest daTOAD

no , theyre 35 mm reels Richard. Yeah theyre vids, official releases.my niave thinking is that since every other Vid [not boot] that came out is being released, theyre has to be masters of these flicks somewhere even if celestials copies got destroyed in the mysterious[i need proof] fire.

Guest daTOAD

plus, no way shape or form is Lovers Blade border line classic. its good 80s kung fu flick and the comedy kills it.

Guest sevenhooks
no , theyre 35 mm reels Richard. Yeah theyre vids, official releases.my niave thinking is that since every other Vid [not boot] that came out is being released, theyre has to be masters of these flicks somewhere even if celestials copies got destroyed in the mysterious[i need proof] fire.

Don't sound so hurt. I made an honest assessment, judging from your post, that "prints" constituted film.

That's what a "print" usually refers to.

Your original post...

i heard these titles were not getting a realease. anyone know why? these definetly are NOT classics, but great prints of these films are floating around.

Would I be wrong in thinking that you were actually referring to films and not videos?

These were honest and sincere questions and I apologise if I bored you or tired you with them. |I

And who the hell is Richard???

plus, no way shape or form is Lovers Blade border line classic. its good 80s kung fu flick and the comedy kills it

Fine. That's simply a matter of opinion and you're certainly free to yours.

I dug it, as did the general consensus of the Martial Arts Movies magazine staff (comprising of some genuine genre gurus - Victor Lim, Gary Kohatsu, Daniel C. Lee, etc.) who happened to pick it as one of their Top 10 of '81 - an incredibly prolific year for kung fu flicks.

At the very least, it's a vastly UNDERRATED, rarely discussed Shaw flick that certainly deserves better than to wallow in cinema oblivion for all eternity.

More importantly however, I will admit that I was never aware Lovers' Blades was ever available officially on video.

Ocean Shores put it out?

Serious question.

Guest daTOAD

actually i was refering to vids when i said prints and realize i made the wrong refrence, but dude your like the kung fu nazi questioning peoples reliability[ive read alot of your responds and they always seem to start with, hmmm- a bit snobbish] so i got a little hot- never hurt, im a fan not a dick-apologies:)

"I dug it, as did the general consensus of the Martial Arts Movies magazine staff (comprising of some genuine genre gurus - Victor Lim, Gary Kohatsu, Daniel C. Lee, etc.) "

Who? i belive ive been around long enough and seen enough to make a valid judgement,but your correct-its all opinion-though some seem to think theyres are the words of gods.

"And who the hell is Richard???"

my fault, thought u were someone else:D

seriously though,i dont know the distributers right off hand.i got IWFKYD at a local vid shop in the late 80s i belive and Lovers Blade was from either a Korean or Taiwanese[im guessing] release i rented from a chinese market in like 92'.im 700 miles from my collection, but when i get home ill check.

Guest sevenhooks
actually i was refering to vids when i said prints and realize i made the wrong refrence, but dude your like the kung fu nazi questioning peoples reliability[ive read alot of your responds and they always seem to start with, hmmm- a bit snobbish]

I bet when you look at my avatar, I seem even more "snobbish" don't I?

Well, that may all very well be true.

I readily admit that I question more than others on here.

And if I come accross as "a bit snobbish" in the process, then you have my sincerest apologies.

However, with the sheer amount of B.S. that gets thrown around here on a regular basis, someone's gotta cut through it all.

Sorry, but I'm trying to know the truth.

Not heresay. Not speculation.

Truth.

No more. No less.

And sometimes that's a bit hard to come by around here.

When you mentioned that there were "great prints" of these films floating around (Lovers Blades / I Will Finally Knock You Down Dad), I honestly thought that you knew something I didn't.

My constant questioning was the result of my desire to get to the truth of the matter, that's all.

To eliminate all possibility of error.

Perhaps I should've made myself more clear up front.

Perhaps you should've.

Anyway, we got to the bottom of it, right?

IWFKYDD was most likely from the Ocean Shores LD or tape.

Lovers Blades was "Taiwanese" or "Korean" in origin (and therefore probably not legitimate after all).

No harm done.

"I dug it, as did the general consensus of the Martial Arts Movies magazine staff (comprising of some genuine genre gurus - Victor Lim, Gary Kohatsu, Daniel C. Lee, etc.) "

Who? i belive ive been around long enough and seen enough to make a valid judgement,but your correct-its all opinion-though some seem to think theyres are the words of gods.

Not the words of Gods. In this case simply the words of some knowledgable friends who taught me a lot in the game.

And yes, as a result, I tend to hold their words in esteem.

And I like to give those OGs in particular all the dap I can considering how much they've done for the fandom and have never been recognized for it.

Instead, they've paved the way for so-called "experts" who certainly don't deserve such an honor/ title.

That said, yeah, it's all opinion.

I'm not here to say that mine or anyone else's is more valid than yours because it's not.

I simply wanted to let it be known that Lovers Blades was, in my opinion, too good a film to simply be dismissed, discarded or forgotten about like that.

Hopefully it won't.

Looking at the list of films Celestial appears not to be releasing, Lovers' Blades stands behind only To Kill a Mastermind in terms of quality kung fu action.

The rest don't even come close.

Again, my opinion.

And I welcome debate on that. ;)

"And who the hell is Richard???"

my fault, thought u were someone else

Gee, thanks.

:x

Guest venomchamber

Yep. I can confirm I Will Finally Knock You Down, Dad! is an Ocean Shores LD. (I own a Cantonese version myself.)

This was where the boots originated from.

In addition to Ocean Shores laser discs, World Video also released dozens of Shaw films on VHS & LD in Cantonese or Mandarin.

Rainbow Audio & Video Incorporation released a couple dozen films on VHS with B&W covers. They were later bought out by Tai-Seng and closed-out in video stores throughout Chinatown for $10 a pop in the mid-90s.

Lovers' Blade was indeed available on VHS with Korean subs, (as a rental) at stores in Flushing a loooooooooong time ago!

Guest sevenhooks
Lovers' Blade was indeed available on VHS with Korean subs, (as a rental) at stores in Flushing a loooooooooong time ago!

Wonder if I got mine from the same store (on Main Street?).

Guest venomchamber

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, if memory serves me right, it was the old UE store with all the TVB shows on either Union St (or Roosevelt) in front of the bus stop. I think the store is still there, but have discarded their tapes in favor of DVDs several years ago.

Guest sevenhooks

That whole area was a MECCA for flicks back in the late 80's/early 90's.

I remember when one of my NY trading buddies, Whiz (RIP), took me down there one afternoon and we must've spent 4-5 hours digging for flicks!

Store after store.

Absolutely mind-numbing!!

:eek

Guest venomchamber

ahhhhh...miss those days, eh? "The thrill of the hunt!" ;)

Odd thing about those Korean tapes...the covers rarely matched the movie! :rolleyes

I'd rent anything they had and try pot luck. That's how I found lots of goodies like New Tales Of The Flying Fox, Opium And The Kung-Fu Master, and of course, Bastard Swordsman just to name a few.

There's nothing like fond memories of Kung-Fu movie collecting back in New York.:D

Guest daTOAD

"Sorry, but I'm trying to know the truth.

Not heresay. Not speculation.

Truth.

No more. No less.

And sometimes that's a bit hard to come by around here."

hey Seven, you should change your name to Mulder

:lol

to be truthful its been years since i watched Lovers Blades so it may be better than i remember[will have to weatch again].unfortunately my strongest memory is the bad comedy.

i used to find all type of stuff at the market, like Kung Fu Cult Master, Hero[shaw], Return of the Bastard Swordsman, Last Hero in China, and some cool kung fu T.V. shows that i wish i wouldve taped[at the time i thought they were boring]:(

Archived