Pursuit Of Vengeance (1977)

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Just received this DVD from DDDhouse. No original trailer but checked out a few scenes and it's very colourful and well-remastered. Ti Lung looks imposing and tall. I spotted Chen Ping, Derek Yee, Liu Yung, Lo Lieh, Shih Szu among others in the cast. Not to be missed. In mono.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Live Wire

Yes, it was released last thursday together with Black Tavern and Valley of the Fangs. I hope i will have them by tomorrow as they were shipped last friday.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns
I hope i will have them by tomorrow as they were shipped last friday.

That's when all three of mine should be arriving as well. Can't wait. I'm really looking forward to Black Tavern.

Guest falkor

Just a shame about the ending; Derek Yee put up a bad fight. :rolleyes The best bit is when everyone is fighting over somebody committing suicide because... I won't give it away! ;)

Guest daTOAD

IMO[hope this means what i think it does]hands down Chu Yuans best martial arts film. this is his TKAM...actually this is his Avenging Eagle[TKAM has no equal ].why the comparison to Sun Chung? because in my heart of hearts i think Sun secretly directed this movie and the Shaws threw ol Chun's name on it. a liitle far fetched i know, but this movie was shot totally different then any of Chu Yuans films. all the storylines and plot twist, while included] arent as complex as his usual stuff[very simple stiry].also his action scenes. no more wide angle shots or shots from rooftops, the action is shot close up and in closed quarters. to this point ive mostly bout vcds because i dont want to rebuy the dvds when they get released with the dubs. this film ill buy the dvd [although iknow in my heart of hearts a but still dub was made for this film]. the story is about a group of swordsman who gather to kill a common enemy.20 years later they fear his descendant will take revenge so they come up with a plan to lure him out. thats it thtas the story. simple ,but perfect. the characters. this is like a marvel teamup of spiderman and wolverine. you get swordsman fu[magic blade] with Ye Kai[dagger li's -sentimental swordsman]disciple] not to mention all the guest stars. and derek yee witha beard[youll understand once watchted].perfect timing on release, as most are noe familiar with gu long universe. 5/5

sorry about reposting this ,but was hoping to open up discussion on this film. i think at the time this was posted not enough people had seen the movie to commit, hopefully this has changed.:D

Guest jmungus
sorry about reposting this ,but was hoping to open up discussion on this film. i think at the time this was posted not enough people had seen the movie to commit

peeped this thread only now myself.

u`ve made just the right observations afaiac.

yup- IMO means "In My Opinion" (btw, afaiac means "as far as i am concerned" :P;) )

i can relate to your sun chung comparison. early on, PoV reminded me a little of 'proud youth' (sets, cam angles, plot development).

visually, the biggest break with chu yuans trademark style is that he`d take the camera much closer to the action; also repositioning (cam) and editing it a bit differently than he`d usually do. the difference it makes is rather self-evident.

PoV fits perfectly with the other 1977 chu yuan movies (CoI, sentimental..., death duel, jade tiger).

arguably his 'best' year (!?!). good output (5 movies), refined quality (mature, classy, creative, well balanced, not a single average or stinker movie among the 5)

tong gaai choreo would shine with the typical ultra-tightness he made a name for himself with at least in my book, although i dont recall a single fight sequence i was particularly excited about; some of ti lungs attack moves rotating his sword were pretty damn cool tho.

cast- exceptional. star studded & smart; familiar faces in both lead and supporting cast as well as extras (cameos!?).

witty and cheeky performances by leading trio ti lung, lau wing & lo lieh (particularly 'cheeky' in lo lieh`s case ;) )

the brothers really brought their characters to life. some really good fun dialogue too.

it`s the kind of movie that`d grow on me during the course of its running time.

plot is relatively simplistic, considering its gu long/chu yuan material, but it wont come as a surprise if i tell u that they`d scramble it all up quite a bit in the 1st act.

im just glad they didnt make the "masking"-shtick a habit, cuz that would have probably ruined the entire thing.

good movie. not highly but definitely recommended.

peeps who dont like the psychedelic/dreamy/gloomy/over-the-top output of CY`s dont fear- this one`s for u :D

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

The film didn't really leave much of an impression on me, though I definitely do not regret picking it up, I kept waiting for the film to step up and give me a reason to rewind a scene at least here and there, but... it wasn't gonna happen. ;)

Guest tino

Just an okay movie imo, nothing special. Its no where near as good as Magic Blade, not even close. Like vengeanceofhumanlanterns I waited for something cool to happen and nothing really ever did. 6/10

I agree with those who say The Magic Blade is better. 

This one started off weak for me but ended strong. I'd watch it again if I had nothing else to do. Which is more than I can say for a lot of Chang Cheh films.

Archived