Man of Iron

Guest BKarza

Just saw this over the weekend. Wow. Cool as hell. I'd say this was Chang cheh's movie in concept/script but Pao's in actual execution. CC didn't shoot movies like that.(visually) I'd say Pao prob. did a lot on Boxer from Shangtung as well.

I like how it's basically the same movie but in slightly different settings. The different look gives it a different feel. Cool as hell.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest teako170

Couldn't agree with you more BKarza. I didn't really catch the "difference" until I watched the third part of the Iron trilogy before realizing it was Pao Hsueh Lieh who had brought something new to the table - which made these films stand out.

Since then I have sought out some of Pao's other films. I only wish he and CC had collaborated more.

A while ago somebody was kind enough to post the title music of the film, which is very groovy. Any chance posting it again? I accidentally deleted it. Thanks in advance.

Guest Iron Boat

I am going to have to order it soon, Chen Kuan Tai is my favorite shaw screen fighter....I saw Bloody Escape recently and was impressed and since Man of Iron is supposedly similiar to Boxer from shantung, I know I'm in for a treat.

Guest jmungus

cant go wrong with this one if u re into the early 70s bashers that take place in a 'modern' setting.

in terms of fun factor and overall quality, its about on par with iron bodyguard imo.

Guest Tosh

I think this was something of a quasi-sequel to Boxer From Shantung if I'm not mistaken, Chen Kuan Tai extruded such awesomeness in BfS, they needed to put that sweet funky theme music on there for him in Man of Iron, MoI and BfS are both must owns in my book.

Guest Iron Boat

In Man of Iron, Chen Kuan Tai does what he does best, punch holes through Motherf:eek kers!@!!

I just watched this for the second time, and I have to say I think this one is pretty solid. As a sequel/remake to Boxer from Shantung, it's just slightly a notch below that movie, IMO.

I think the big difference in that in Boxer, we see Chen Kuan Tai's character before he becomes a successful gangster---we see him as poor and a pretty good-hearted guy, but really ambitious. I think there's more of a sense of tragedy in Boxer, because I felt that Chang Cheh was almost painting the picture that CKT was TOO good-hearted to really succeed as a gangster---he was never really cut out for it, and it had to end in tragedy. In Man of Iron, he's already a successful gangster when we meet him, and I think because of that, the scope of the drama wasn't quite there. Other than that, though, I thought the story, the performances, the fight scenes were all pretty comparable. A decent sequel. Anybody else?

Shaolivevil

Always a favorite. This was another film I had to tape off tv late at night when I was a teenager, like with DUEL OF THE IRON FIST, STREET GANGS OF HONG KONG, and THE SAVAGE FIVE.

Chen Kuan Tai was badass all the way. He came in hard and got to the top then went out the same way...

Archived