a question about Boxers Omen

Guest Lei Kung

Guest Lei Kung

Just watched this one for the first time. Never had my ass kicked so hard by a film. This is by far the craziest thing I've seen in years.

Anyway, I was wondering if this was censored or banned after its release in theaters. It was so extreme in every way that I couldn't even see this passing in modern day America.

I mean it featured full frontal nudity atleast twice, excessive amounts of entrails spilling out of everything, people melting, gratuitous scenes of crocodiles eating and humping...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jmungus
Never had my ass kicked so hard by a film. This is by far the craziest thing I've seen in years.

i really dont get u guys on this particular title.

its direction is pure suckage. in the goodie bag that is my movie collection (or those i remember watching at some point), its clearly among the lamers.

sure its got some things going for it, but its not like BO is the only movie in the world with a nice, exotic locale and a smorgasbord of odd little cartoonish ideas.

as for its elements from the realms of crazy, looney, o.t.t.- makes me wonder if ive seen too much fantasy-camp trash-action cinema, or maybe yall (BO aficionados) have to catch up, clear the backlog n all, cuz theres really not too much to it (its 'just' okay in its own right), if one`s been around trashy horror/action/fantasy and knows their camp.

kuei chih hung is a sub par director period- godfather from canton, teahouse, the hex movies etc pp.... all suffer from incompetent direction, and BO is no exception.

yet there are 2 of his i`ll have to check out when they re being released- killer constable and coward bastard; i sooo want them to deliver the goods.

Guest Stuntman Jules

I kinda disagree about BOXER'S OMEN. I actually think it's one of Kuei Chih Hung's TAMER films. Sure, it's gross and grody, but for Kuei at his roughest: see BAMBOO HOUSE OF DOLLS, THE KILLER SNAKES or CRIMINALS V: A TEENAGER'S NIGHTMARE.

Also, LOST SOULS is the roughest Shaw Brothers film ever IMO.

Guest Lei Kung

Thanks for the link spannick. It must have been pretty lame with so much taken out.

I haven't seen any of Kuei Chih Hung's others nor many horror films from this era. With nothing else to compare it to I'd say it was an awesome film. I didn't think it was poorly directed though. It may not have had a great plot and all and it was waaaay over the top (which it seemed was the directors aim), but I thought it held together well and kept me glued to the TV the whole way through. It had some impressive effects which I hadn't seen before as well. I'll definitely check out some of his other films.

Guest peringaten

His best I've seen imo... Plus, speaking generally, I've seen plenty of films from all over the place, and of all of them I like this one more than most... If it don't grab you it don't grab you... I think it's wondrous.

Guest Tosh

Yeah, I love this film, if you look on peoples top ten cult films of all time, this one will be on it, and most of these people are not KF film fans, it has a reputation that goes well beyond it's Shaw name.

I have some avid film fan friends, and this movie blew them away.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

jmungus, Killer Constables is a kick ass film. I'm sure you'll have good and bad things to speak of it. It's coming out in the coming month or sooner, so there'll be some opinions posted.

Boxer's Omen isn't too bad. A pretty unique flick in it's own right. I enjoyed this film.

Guest morgoth

Boxer's Omen is a great gross movie. I have only seen maybe a hundred or so Shaws, but this is one of my favorites.

Guest Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee
jmungus, Killer Constables is a kick ass film. I'm sure you'll have good and bad things to speak of it. It's coming out in the coming month or sooner, so there'll be some opinions posted.

CO-SIGN.

Killer Constables is the best film I've ever seen.

Judge Chih Kuei Hung after you have seen this.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

After reading all the hype, I was one one who was sooo looking forward to Boxers Omen. I was extremely disappointed after finally seeing it. Came nowhere near living up to the hype. Not saying its a bad film, i did enjoy it . I woulda enjoyed it more going into it cold without expectations.

Killer Constables is the best film I've ever seen.

:eek

I really prefer the darker KF flix. So KC is one of my favs too. I will scoop up the celestial as soon as its released. I know to each his own, but "the best film youve ever seen"? If I watched it today, it wouldnt be the best film Ive seen this week.

Guest morgoth

I love it when there is Killer Constabel talk. That movie sent shivers through me when I first saw it. I can't count the number of times I have rewatched it. One of the things that really stood out to me besides how dark it is and all the obvious things is that there is no undercranking. They didn't make many movies like Killer COnstable. Not my favorite, but top 5.

I know to each his own, but "the best film youve ever seen"? If I watched it today, it wouldnt be the best film Ive seen this week.

Everyone has their own opinion, but if you can't see why it might be 'the best' in some people's opinion then you're probably missing something!

Guest venomchamber

If you enjoyed THE BOXER'S OMEN, did you also enjoy the SEEDING OF A GHOST?

Join Ivy as she lobbys for Celestial to remaster it!

Atleast it would be available to other companies (like Image) seeking to release it even if IVL passed on it.

seedingofaghostvx4.jpg

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
Everyone has their own opinion, but if you can't see why it might be 'the best' in some people's opinion then you're probably missing something!

I guess if you watched nothing but classic kung fu movies, I could see how you could consider it "the best film" you've ever seen. Otherwise I would find it extremly hard to see how. It's one of my favorite Shaws, but it wouldnt crack a top 100 list of mine. But this genre accounts for about 25% of my film collection. Im not saying your opinion is wrong. Just a little hard for me to believe you havent seen anything better. To each his own, whatever floats your boat, and so on.... :)

Just a little hard for me to believe you havent seen anything better.

Classic kung fu makes up 98% of my collection but I've seen a number of films from other genres. Out of interest if you were forced to choose one 'best' film, what would it be? I will watch it.

Guest HAZ74

Well, I just finished this one...

Really & truly a great film. I'd rate Human Lanterns higher, just because Lo Lieh gives a great performance in that one, prolly better than anything seen in Boxer's Omen. For my money, the real star of this movie is Buddah. All that mystical stuff is fascinating for me. I wish I knew more about eastern religion. Like, the speech that tour guide was giving in the temple in Nepal, is any of that based on historical truth? Are the ashes of Siddhartha kept in a temple in India? There are some pretty freaky carvings featured on some temples. I wonder what their significance is? The zombie girl was pretty hot. There's a ton of imagination in this movie. Couldn't take my eyes off it for a second. This was hella fun. Kudos to Image for putting this out. If there are other movies like this, I need to see 'em.

peace

h

Wasn't sure if I should bump a 3 year old thread, or start a new one..ah well.

Just finished this tonight. I have to agree with other sentiments...DAMN weird flick, but it was enjoyable as "something different." I will admit there were a couple parts I ALMOST turned it off lol.

That makes a really sick double feature. I screened these for some friends who came over for a party. They left a changed group of people.

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee

Haha, the good old days. I recently watched this, perhaps I am too jaded but I just found it a bit dull! I'd rather have seen Philip Ko Fei bust a few moves than some special effects that didn't seem particularly gross/scary or kitch fun either! The less said about the plot the better!

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Boxer's Omen is for something out of the ordinary. Great film, actually

i just watched boxer's omen last night. it seems like they did a lot of research on black magic and buddhism for this movie. nothing seem off limits. there's body parts flying all over the place (very graphic). overall a good movie with a unique twist on black magic.

Did anyone notice that the black magic villains are speaking Filipino (Tagalog)? I asked a bunch of my older relatives if any of these rituals were accurate and none of them were old school enough to know. But they did get a kick out of seeing some of these clips though.

Archived