Masked Avengers or Gang?

Guest sandpalm79

Guest sandpalm79

So I finally got Masked Avengers remastered(absolutely awestruck by it) in the old dub they always said masked "gang" and in this subtitled version they refer to the gang as the masked avengers. Not to be anal but why are they called avengers? Doesnt avengers mean to seek vengeance? This seemed more like demonic violence rather than any sort of retribution. Just didnt know if anyone else had a take on why theyd be called avengers.

(Didnt watch the second half last night so may be missing an old plot element )

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chinatown Kid

I have no idea why they would be called Avengers either. With the demonic masks, brutal murders, and drinking of blood I think it would be more accurate to call them a "Cult". Watching this Venom's film always gave me a little bit of the creeps. :lol

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

The Masked Avenger's are in reference to Kuo Chui and crew, being part of the Masked gang then turning on them for, avenging the victims of the aforementioned. Kuo Chui and crew are the Masked Avengers, Lu Feng and crew are not.

Guest sandpalm79

Vengeance of human lanterns: Yeah that is what I thought too. but in the remaster version kou chui and crew refer to the eveil gang as masked avengers, about 100 times throughout. any idea why?

Guest NinjaForce

I guess they are called Masked Avengers because originally they only took contracts from people who had a serious grievance and would avenger the wrongs done to their clients for a high fee. This was before they spiralled into a murderous gang that would kill almost anyone including young boys who were barely swordsmen and raping young girls for small dowries, losing all sight of their original profession ethics, which is when Kuo Chui decided he had enough and left the gang. Essential I think they avenged the wrongs done within society by one clan upon another clan, by liquidating the clan at fault while taking a huge fee from the original victims. If the price is right they will avenge you, nice. :b

Guest sikmao

i was curious, so i looked up the Chinese characters in the title of "Masked Avengers". oddly enuff, there's no mention of "masked" nor "avengers" anywhere!! the literal translation is something like: "fork/prong/crotch" & "hand". ("Cha Shou"-in Mand. & "Caa Sau"-in Cant.)

so, i figure whoever was responsible for the English translations, musta come up with this name!! LOL!

Guest sevenhooks

I wouldn't take ANY of the english translations seen on these Celestial/Shaw discs very seriously.

"Snake Dude" anyone?

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns
I guess they are called Masked Avengers because originally they only took contracts from people who had a serious grievance and would avenger the wrongs done to their clients for a high fee. This was before they spiralled into a murderous gang that would kill almost anyone including young boys who were barely swordsmen and raping young girls for small dowries, losing all sight of their original profession ethics, which is when Kuo Chui decided he had enough and left the gang. Essential I think they avenged the wrongs done within society by one clan upon another clan, by liquidating the clan at fault while taking a huge fee from the original victims. If the price is right they will avenge you, nice.

Now that you mention it that may be quite true. I've held off watchin this flick for quite some time now. But in the end what I'd stated kinda holds some ground in the end as well. Though, I wasn't aware of the repeated reference to the gang being referred to as the Masked Avengers throughout the film. And once again Celestial's eng. translations may not have exactly done the storyline justice. I don't know. But I'll tell ya one thing, tomorrow night... I'll know! Cause that's when I'm watchin it!

Archived