Celestial audio/video - the good, the bad & the ugly

Guest TheManInWhite

Guest TheManInWhite

Due to popular demand, this post is being created with the fans in mind. So please post away any reviews/comments/etc. on the releases that are in fine condition or those with audio malfunctions, cut versions, sync

issues or other problems. Thanks!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kung Fu Zombie

Off the top of my Head

Chinese Boxer - has the worst new synth music that I've heard yet. Worse than a cheap cartoon

The Assassin - bad synth music.

Lady Assassin - Really bad synth music that doesn't even match the original music, turning it into incomprehensible mush.

Marco Polo - this time the added synth music was playing the exact same thing as the original soundtrack but the tone of the new music is slightly off from the original, making the entire soundtrack slightly sour.

Shaolin Intruders - the added synth music is thankfully very faint and easy to ignore most of the time.

5 Shaolin Masters - Pure! I was just watching it last night and loving the untouched music. Even the opening Shaw logo was original

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Spiritual Boxer- Very noticable audio "enhancements". Very bad!! Good movie though.

LAdy Assassin- Agree with other posts on this one. "Enhancements" very noticable.

Guest David G Rees

The worst in my opinion are:

Deadly Duo - Terrible added sound FX.

Assassin - As above

Spiritual Boxer - again added sound fx. The UK release is original mono and sooo much better.

Legendary Weapons Of China - again added sounds but doesnt spoil it as much....Image have this on there US release slate.

New One Armed Swordsman has a totally different music track to the dubbed US / UK release, but not added sounds as far as i can tell.

Golden Swallow- some ambient sounds added but not too bad.

More when i think of them.

Guest tylerpistol

I always find it baffling that they would insert a synthesized version of the opening fanfare into the soundtrack...couldn't they just lift a recording of it from another film and insert it into the soundtrack if they had to?

Guest Markgway

Isn't the Chinese version of 'The New One-Armed Swordsman' supposed to have different music from the English dub? I don't think this is down to Celestial supplying a new score.

And the UK DVD of 'The Spiritual Boxer' (actually, all the UK Shaws from Momentum) is letterboxed without anamorphic enhancement. It's worth mentioning for people with 16:9 televisions.

Guest kenichiku

...more ugly audio similar to 'Spiritual Boxer':

Lady Hermit - incessant background as if simulating blowing wind, heavy cutlery add-ons

Clan of Amazons - heavy synthesizer re-scoring & cutlery enhancement over-dubbing

Heroic one had much of it's music replaced with Casio keyboard. And Mark:

Isn't the Chinese version of 'The New One-Armed Swordsman' supposed to have different music from the English dub? I don't think this is down to Celestial supplying a new score.

You're exactly right, the English dubbed and subbed versions had different soundtracks on video.

Guest venomsfreak

Can we complain about the subtitles as well? I have The Magic Blade, and on the english subs every line of dialogue is repeated 2 times. It's really annoying, I couldn't watch the whole movie.

Guest kenichiku

I guess the issue of the remaster's speeding up of scenes goes under the category of more 'ugly'. Of course, folks who have evidence of segments or footage for visuals as well as for sound have a reference point to confirm these claims from prior to remastering; ever since 'Chinatown Kid', I've contended that keeping your old tapes & boots do hold some value to keep these guys in check. So now as from other past posts, the frame speed hasn't been widely discussed prior to 'Ten Tigers' for these Region 3 remasters as selectively being tampered with but we have:

Ten Tigers from Kwantung

Judgement of An Assassin

One might excuse this if someone can determine that these are complete speed-ups for the entire film due to the overall PAL conversion process instead of a sneaky selective speed-up here and there for certain sequences only. Based on gut instinct and until I run some dual screen comparisons to check, I may suspect scenes from these titles were selectively sped-up as well:

Lady Assassin (I recall already sped up from my old VHS copy)

The Swift Sword (certain fight scenes just didn't feel right)

Avenging Eagle (Sun Chung usually articulates slower frame speeds to highlight action but parts of this seemed faster)

A Deadly Secret (suspect sped up combat but don't have any old VHS to compare)

Cat Vs Rat (suspect sped up and do have old VHS to confirm)

As a service to all, please add, identify, verify or refute any of these or future claims on the matter.

Guest sevenhooks

Not off the top of my head.

I'll bet there's a list somewhere.

Seemed like a lot of the horror stuff was Mono from what I remember.

Heaven and Hell was Mono.

Archived