Why Celestial is missing 5 Element Ninja

Guest Frank Lakatos

Guest Frank Lakatos

Thought I'd share this with you. In the mid 90's I knew one collector who loved 5 Element Ninja so much he had all of the versions and he and his cousin had saved money planning to buy the original reels of the best Shaw movies and release them on their VHS label. That same year a friend who knew about the Shaws informed them that the original uncut Cantonese Mandarin prints for 5 Element Ninja in the Shaw Brothers vaults were badly damaged from cigarette ash, dents, and cuts, and there were few chances of a release of the uncut version of this movie in the future. Is this the possible reason to why 5 Element Ninja was excluded from Celestial's list?

Frank

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Super Ninjas will ever see the light of day for quite sometime...unless someone unearths one in Europe, or in some other Asian country and releases it. Sad but true.

... That same year a friend who knew about the Shaws informed them that the original uncut Cantonese Mandarin prints for 5 Element Ninja in the Shaw Brothers vaults were badly damaged from cigarette ash, dents, and cuts, and there were few chances of a release of the uncut version of this movie in the future. ...

The same kind of thing was said about House Of Traps and yet it's on this list.

I don't know, there's certainly a LOT of different Super Ninja boots around. And they look like they come from sources that could be dressed up nicely by Celestial.

They all may not be "original" and "uncut" but those words don't count for much anymore.

Color me skeptical about 5 Element Ninjas never being released by Celestial.

Don't forget, there was also "the fire" that burned up most of the Brave Archer movies. Too bad we'll never get to see those. Looks like I'm going to have to keep my Brave Archer tapes.

You know better.

Vista Betamax/VHS version that has "Super Ninjas" on the title screen. This is the source of the Panmedia version. Most footage available, includes a bit of nudity and little more gore at the end.

NS Video/Ground Zero version that has "Chinese Super Ninjas" on the title screen. This version is what I've always considered the TV version as it doesn't include the nudity and gore that is included in the Vista Betamax/VHS version. It's also the version I remember watching on TV back in 85/86.

Falkor has a widescreen version in Chinese listed on his site. I can't comment on that version because I've never watched it.

I have also heard discussions of a version with Dutch subs and English dubbed.

I have owned both the Vista and Ground Zero versions.

Guest Sleepman
It's probably too early to hit the red alert button

If this happens, i really think i will be very pissed off and i will do more than hit a red alert button, i will embody the spirit of chan wei man and pull out my old ninja clothing and find me stash of flying stars all of which i have buried and can only be located with a secret map i have to also unbury..

and raid ivl celestial headquarters , popping out and vanishing between coulds of blue and red smoke while being heavily pursued by security (people who couldnt make it as cops)

after the night had passed i will crawl out removable ceiling panels detonate the bombs destroy the evil castle and leave

with the ONLY reel of 5 element Ninjas in existance burned with ciggarettes and cut up (ya right) and what not and

contact linn so he can release it vie e-mail link to image entertainment..

Cya gotta go

Guest Markgway
I have also heard discussions of a version with Dutch subs and English dubbed.

It definately exists. I have an English dubbed Killer Army tape from the same collection.

Guest Markgway

Someone posted a list of the remaining titles that Celestial are planning to release and Five Element Ninja wasn't on there. Have you heard different?

Here's a sample of a few things we've heard from various "sources":

-After the first year of releases that Celestial was going to close down because they were bankrupt.

-They didn't make any money off the Shaws, so they were going to drop the films. (This is my fave, as they make millions off the rights throughout the world)

-They were going to make paper covers with no cover art.

-They were going to only put out musicals.

-They were going to put all the swordplay films on vcd.

-They were putting out everything on vcd because dvd wasn't doing well.

etc.

I'm sure you all have your favorite rumor about the Shaw Brothers films. One of my faves is that Sentimental Swordsman was split into pieces by Chor Yuen before he left the Shaws because he was pissed off about how he was treated in the final years of his contract and he didn't want anyone to ever see it. :)

This sort of stuff has followed Shaw Brothers films for years because Run Run was a marketing GENUS! They guy shutdown and refused to release his films, and then actually did just that! It's like saying you have a Warner Bros film by Orson Welles that was never released even in theaters. Then you refuse to do anything with it for thirty years. Over the years, obsessive fans would talk and talk about the film, building it up, spreading rumors of how it's only half a film, or it's missing sound, etc. Then they release it,and it turns out to be Welles brushing his teeth. A few would think it's a masterpiece, while others would think it's rightly crap. But EVERYONE would buy it to see, and that was the point all along. Run Run was a SMART man and I respect him more every day. Now just imagine if the Orson Welles story above was changed from one film to a few hundred and you had obsessive fans all over the world clamoring for every scrap of info on them. This is just what we have in Shaw Brothers fandom. I'm not saying the list is junk, just give it the grain of salt it deserves right now.

BTW, the Shaw Brothers films were NOT in a fire. There was a real fire, but it did little damage. The event was used by a guy who has made a life's work of lying to fans because he had to explain why Run Run Shaw never wanted to deal with him again when he treated Shaw like an idiot. The films are not somewhere with people randomly putting out cigars on them and laughing in an evil tone as they burn Tiger Boy frame by frame in a nearby fire. Super Ninjas was sold to Celestial as part of the Shaw Brothers deal. If you don't see a release from IVL (and this goes for all the releases thought to be not coming from IVL, horror fans I'm talking to you!) you'll see it somewhere else. Relax. Go eat lunch at a nice restaurant and enjoy life.

Guest teako170

Lets not forget this one... when at the end of each year when a new list hasn't been released yet it can only mean no more IVLs.

The films are not somewhere with people randomly putting out cigars on them and laughing in an evil tone as they burn Tiger Boy frame by frame in a nearby fire.
Nah, not all films. Just the English dubs to further incite some members here. :P

Relax. Go eat lunch at a nice restaurant and enjoy life.
Sweet - Linn's buying!! :D

Guest Sleepman

Red_button.gif

Its NOT going to be released, this just in.

Red Alert Red Alert! this just in from official resources celestial and ivl have both confirmed that chinese super ninjas will not be released this year because of outstanding title rights to the film mr fong se yun from hong kong in 1983 the one who wrote the movie says that an alarmingly large amount of red tape is stretched across the movie because it went to court

over this issue. Everyone for a long time new this was going to

happen but since there are so many kung fu movies we are only finding this out now and it will never be released for other

reasons as well, it is true i was told there are two master prints/rolls of this film neither one of which are damaged and just kidding really hope it comes out next year i have no idea just like everyone else.

Archived