Better female onscreen fighter: lily li or hui ying hung?

Guest Ching li

Guest Ching li

Who do you guys think was the better onscreen fighter out of these two lily li or hui ying hung? Eventhough hui ying hung had more opportunities to showcase her fighting skills, i would have to go with lily li. Lily li when she performed her fightings she looked like she's been practicing all of her life. She just gave off this teacher like presence.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sevenhooks

I don't remember if she had a double or not, but I thought Lily Li really came off well in JC's Young Master.

Other than that, Hui Ying Hung cannot be touched.

She had a great teacher though.:P

Guest BKarza

Depends. LKL liked to "femme up" his females' fighting and that tended to take the edge off of what they could really do. Watch both of them under others and see what I mean.

Lily Li(The Loot, Fake Ghost Catchers)

Ying Hung(Lover's Blades)

Ying Ching Ching was on bloody fire in Treasure Hunters(under LKW and Ching Chu) while slow and "femmed up" in White Lotus under LKL.

Hsu Hsia had Sharon Yeung smokin' in Kid from Kwangtung and Lion vs Lion, and made Ying Hung and Candy wen look like a million in Lover's Blades.

Basically, he made his women fight the way Kar Fei shows in Heroes from the East. I favor taking the dantiness out and just letting people get on down, ala Hsu Hsia and others.

Guest morgoth

I am more of a fan of Lily Li (especially Daggers Eight) , but Kara Hui is IMO the better screen fighter.

Guest morgoth

Nah, I don't think so, but Moon lee and Yukari Oshima could take Lily, Hui Ying, Mao Ying, and shih Szu in a group fight:D

Other than Executioners From Shaolin, and a little bit in 8 Diagram, I don't think I've seen Lily Li in action enough to judge her. Hui Ying Hung gets my vote as best female fighter in Shaw history.

Shih Szu and Cheng Pei Pei are right up there for me, too.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

At the peak of her Shaw career when she was no longer that young, Lily Li impressed me with her acting & fighting. An example is in the film Shaolin Mantis. Earlier on in her career, she was outclassed by the likes of Lily Ho in Tropicana Interlude and Cheng Pei Pei in That Fiery Girl.

Hui Ying-hung is the better fighter of the 2 but Lily Li gets my vote. I prefer Shih Szu over her but that's another story.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Right on Ivy, her pole work in Shaolin Mantis is extraodinary. She's great. I'm not sure who the other actress they're referring to is. Is it the kung fu chick from Kung Fu In The Brave Shadow?

Guest Ching li

i don't think the shaws used lily li as well as they should have. I mean like ivy ling po stated in her earlier movies she was outclassed by the likes of lily ho, cheng pei pei and li ching. She just came off as a giggly little girl with no purpose. I thought she was just awful in the wandering swordsman, that has got to be her worst role at the shaws.

Then as she got older during the 70s era she had to compete with the likes of Ching li whom i believe chang cheh might have favored more. Ching li always got meaty roles from chang cheh and especially chu yuan. Once again lily li was sort left in the dust.

I believe she found her thing with kung fu, but by the time she was showcasing it shaw bros was pretty much going down and they had their top kung fu actresses like: hui ying hung, yeung ching ching, occasionally candy wen and lin suet wa from lady assassins, little dragon maiden etc.

So lily li really got the justice she deserved is when she went independent with: One foot crane, daggers 8, etc.

Guest Tosh

Tough one to choose there, I have to put them on equal grounds as far as acting ability, fighting and beauty.

Guest thundered mantis

Lily Li wins for me in every department: onscreen fightin´, acting register and beauty. Only Sharon Yeung, and maybe Yeung Jing Jing are on her league if we talk about classic kung fu.

Modern stuff it is not comparable, ´cause it´s usually just kickboxing/tkd oriented (we have Moon Lee, Yukari Oshima and Kim Penn as the best ones there, IMO)

Guest Steve Barr

While I really enjoy Hui Ying Hung's performances, much of the time she looks like she's concentrating on remembering all the moves instead of acting while fighting.

Any competent female fighter in a film is welcome, though.

Guest Shaolin Patriot

I would say Hui Ying Hung as a better onscreen fighter. Overall, I'm a bigger fan of Lily Li, due to her good looks and acting skills, more than her fighting skills.

Guest Chen Zhen

lily li is often underused. she was on fire in the finale of the loot. i think shes a more convincing screen fighter than kara

Guest kungfusamurai

Lily Li fights like she just learns the moves for the film. She's not bad, but in some serious fight scenes, you can see she's doubled. Kara Hui had the best teacher, Lau Kar Leung, and my guess is that he worked her hard on and off screen. Perhaps that's one reason why the relationship soured...:)

KFS

Archived