The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter / 五郎八卦棍 (1983)

Guest Dahnamics

It isn't that violent when you think of the deaths and such compared to many, many other movies. It is the fact that there is a good amount of blood in 8 Diagram and some things that delight in blood (like the teeth stuck in the pole) that stand out. Personally, I think it is a little bloodier than normal to emphasize the violence of the martial world as opposed to the monk's teachings (and it is a bit heavy handed in that regard).

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. It's violent under anyone's standards. I once did a death tally for this film (think that thread fell off the old board), iirc it's way over the 300+ mark for killed, maimed & injured.

It is an easy answer but keep guessing :wink:

If there is another Shaw film continuing this storyline I have no clue what it may be, I've heard that 14 Amazons is related but u couldnt mean that, could you :ooh:?

If there is another Shaw film continuing this storyline I have no clue what it may be, I've heard that 14 Amazons is related but u couldnt mean that, could you :ooh:?

Yup The 14 Amazons it is :wink:

Blood Sword
No. It's violent under anyone's standards. I once did a death tally for this film (think that thread fell off the old board), iirc it's way over the 300+ mark for killed, maimed & injured.

for each his own...ending is furious indeed but I would say whole movie is middle CC level of violence.

btw I love movie

What? Wait, are you saying The 14 Amazons is a sequel to 8 Diagram Pole Fighter? Are there two 14 Amazons because the one I've seen (which is the one with Lily Ho that Funimation recently put out on DVD) is from like 10 years before 8 Diagram Pole Fighter. I think it won a Golden Horse in like 1973!

What? Wait, are you saying The 14 Amazons is a sequel to 8 Diagram Pole Fighter? Are there two 14 Amazons because the one I've seen (which is the one with Lily Ho that Funimation recently put out on DVD) is from like 10 years before 8 Diagram Pole Fighter. I think it won a Golden Horse in like 1973!

Yeah that's the one :wink:

Yeah that's the one :wink:

8 Diagram Pole Fighters (released 11/12 years later) is the prequel to The 14 Amazons

The 14 Amazons (released 11/12 years earlier) is the sequel to 8 Diagram Pole Fighters

Wolverine (made later) is the prequel to X-Men

X-Men (made earlier) is the sequel to Wolverine

Missing In Action 2 The Beginning is the prequel to Missing In Action 1

Missing In Action 1 is the sequel to Missing In Action 2 The Beginning :wink:

The sad thing is I remember reading that before, very likely on this forum. My memory needs some serious tweaking. :cry:

I really didn't realize they were related, but I haven't seen 14 Amazons in at least 14 years. I'll have to check it out; is the Funimation version worth buying or just grabbing through Netflix or the library?

A work is not a sequel to its prequel, though. It's all referenced from the original work... Star Wars, for example, is not sequel or prequel to anything, it is the point of reference for the other five movies, cartoons, etc. to be sequels or prequels. Technically, if it does not have the same characters at a younger or older age a second connected work is not a prequel or a sequel!

I've seen it and remember seeing it, but that is about it! I think it was one of the films I had in Mandarin and used to run during college to get used to the cadence of the language.

A work is not a sequel to its prequel, though. It's all referenced from the original work... Star Wars, for example, is not sequel or prequel to anything, it is the point of reference for the other five movies, cartoons, etc. to be sequels or prequels. Technically, if it does not have the same characters at a younger or older age a second connected work is not a prequel or a sequel!

That's why I considered and then decided not to make reference to the Star Wars saga. :wink:

Violence, fury... all are human being feelings, it is quite normal to watch them (all the feelings) on screen, we can't mesure them. Only rate them: more or less violent, but always the point of view is related with the social and cultural background in wich we live.

Many years ago an old (ex)friend of mine former H.K stuntman Jude Poyer showed me a collection of Southern Screen magazined he'd managed to scam off someone selling his collection, I found it ironic as Poyer wasn't a Shaw bros fan. I remember looking at an edition from late 1981 and inside the fold out front cover were photos from Lau Kar Leung's new movie Heroic Family.

I was excited as i'd never heard of it before, but as I looked properly at the shots it was clear that it was 8 Diagram Pole Fighter,specifically the opening slaughter of the Yang family and Fu Sheng's return to Tin Poh Fu and the fight with Fu Sheng and the monk in the hall (Ching Chu).

I've always wondered how in 1983 after Fu Sheng's tragic death and, if according to Hui Ying Hung in Inside Kung Fu Lau si-fu dissapeared for 9 months distraught at his top disciple's death, that Lau si-fu was able to finish his masterpiece in time for Chinese New Year 1984.

I believe that this film was the movie Fu Sheng broke his legs on, someone claimed it was Heroes Shed No Tears but I dont think the dates match up. I think the cameo in Legendary Weapons which was his 1st appearance post accident was just put into the movie on a spur of the moment, coz if you think about it those scenes dont really add anything to the movie.

As it is I hope someone finds that edition of Southern Screen and can back me up, although dI have many original Shaw's posters and pressbooks, I've never been able to buy one copy of it.

For Fu's leg injury, read....

http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5847

If you want some Southern Screen copies, we're giving away free copies each month....

http://www.shaolinchamber36.com/linn-haynes/

Many years ago an old (ex)friend of mine former H.K "stuntman" Jude Poyer/Sleeman showed me a collection of Southern Screen magazined he'd managed to scam off someone selling his collection, I found it ironic as Sleeman wasn't a Shaw bros fan. I remember looking at an edition from late 1981 and inside the fold out front cover were photos from Lau Kar Leung's new movie Heroic Family.

I was excited as i'd never heard of it before, but as I looked properly at the shots it was clear that it was 8 Diagram Pole Fighter,specifically the opening slaughter of the Yang family and Fu Sheng's return to Tin Poh Fu and the fight with Fu Sheng and the monk in the hall (Ching Chu).

I've always wondered how in 1983 after Fu Sheng's tragic death and, if according to Hui Ying Hung in Inside Kung Fu Lau si-fu dissapeared for 9 months distraught at his top disciple's death, that Lau si-fu was able to finish his masterpiece in time for Chinese New Year 1984.

I believe that this film was the movie Fu Sheng broke his legs on, someone claimed it was Heroes Shed No Tears but I dont think the dates match up. I think the cameo in Legendary Weapons which was his 1st appearance post accident was just put into the movie on a spur of the moment, coz if you think about it those scenes dont really add anything to the movie.

As it is I hope someone finds that edition of Southern Screen and can back me up, although dI have many original Shaw's posters and pressbooks, I've never been able to buy one copy of it.

Through this forum I have reconnected with my "former" (and hopefully once again) friend Jude, who has posted the shots of Eight Diagram Pole Fighter from two Southern Screen 1981 editions (am glad as I had started to think I had dreamed it up!) that I saw at his home in 1994ish. Thank you for that Jude, I am glad you kept the magazines as I really was wondering if I had imagined it!!!

There has to be a reason this movie was started in 1981 and not even returned to until after Fu Sheng had passed away. If he broke his leg in 1979, but was back making other movies in 81 (Brave Archer and his Mate etc) WHAT caused this film to stop??

If I get the chance, which I may in 2013, to meet (and if my broken Cantonese can handle it) I will ask Lau si-fu what happened??!!

Nice one Reel Power Stunts. Have the June but not July issue.

and, if according to Hui Ying Hung in Inside Kung Fu Lau si-fu dissapeared for 9 months distraught at his top disciple's death, that Lau si-fu was able to finish his masterpiece in time for Chinese New Year 1984.

This is another question you might want to raise (if you can). I've heard Kara's story on this but the dates don't jive. Alex died in July '83. 8 Diagram came out 2/17/84. If you do the math, nine months haven't transpired between his death and the release of the film. Nine months would have put LKL back shooting the film in April (84) and then the release would have been much later than that.

As for why LKL stopped shooting 8 Diagram in '81...? :ooh:

When I read this in Rick Meyers "interview" with Hui Ying Hung (which I think was just stolen from a Hong Kong paper or magazine-I'd want a picture of the two of them together to believe he even met her) I thought there is no way he was gone for that long, because as you say Chinese Lunar New Year (the most important time for a movie to be released) is at the latest in March which would be 8 months from the time of Fu Sheng's death??

So in my article I made sure to reference where this info came from I never actually believed it could possibly have been a 9 month self imposed exile. How long it was I 'd like to know aswell, but I wouldn't ask Pops out of respect for both these men. Just wanted to convey how bad Pops must have felt about his no 1 disciple passing.

I am determined to find out what stopped the movie's production, also like to know why they changed the original English title-the Chinese characters still read Ng Long Baht Kwa Gwun-but I quite like the title Heroic Family.

Archived