The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter / 五郎八卦棍 (1983)

Guest Dahnamics

We'll never truly know for sure but certainly Fu Sheng's untimely passing leant the film an atmosphere that is inceredibly haunting.

I'm sure we'd all trade the masterpiece that came from that for Fu Sheng still being here.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That movie was just too depressing for me to sit through again. Being a huge fu sheng fan, I just can't watch that movie over and over again

I watched it just prior to writing this thread and your right Ching Li, it was depressing. In the past I didn't get depressed because I didn't know the real Yang story or the truth of Fu Sheng's passing during production of the film. I just enjoyed it for the action and Gordon Liu's iconic monk character, now when watching I do get an empty feeling of doom and gloom which is not the type of feeling I like to associate with Fu Sheng. Some films, like this one, are better the less you know.

Iron Boat, I couldn't agree with you more. Looking at the sorrow on the actors' faces as now knowing because they were grieving just makes it all the more harder to watch.

I do not like much of those Fu Sheng insane scenes either and am pretty certain movie is now better than it wud have been if FS around:sad:

kungfusamurai

I agree that the Fu Sheng insanity scenes were over the top and too much. Perhaps if he had not been involved in a car accident, Lau Kar Leung would have trimmed those or removed them completely. Of course, with Fu Sheng's death, I would imagine he wanted to include as much Fu Sheng material as possible.

One cool part of the current finale that would be missing if Fu Sheng was in it would have been the part when Kara Hui is strapped onto Gordon's back. Ain't no way that would happen with Fu Sheng! :)

KFS

I have Charter cable and switched to movies On Demand, was shocked to see 8 Diagram Pole Fighter available for $2.99, I would love if maybe Celestial had its own On Demand cable channel where I could order and watch the entire Shaw catalog. No more buying DVDs!

LKL, as we've discussed many times isn't a gory director. Many of his films are on the comedic side, training scenes, real kung fu, lessons of loyalty, not so much revenge or hate filled plots. So when it comes to Pole Fighter, why is the violence, on screen deaths, revenge motifs cranked up so high?

I have generally accepted the accidental death of Fu Sheng as being the reasoning behind the grim nature of the film but is that really so? Fu Sheng was a happy, jolly kind of fellow, I dont think the emotion of his passing translates into a kill kill kill film like Pole Fighter. I imagine a film celebrating the life of Fu Sheng to have more emphasis on comedy, friendship, and lighter moments.

I'm not sure if LKL's Disciples of the 36 Chambers was shot during or soon after Pole Fighter but if so, LKL went right back to the lighter tone found in a majority of his films. So where is all the dark emotion associated with Fu Sheng's passing in Disciples? Was Pole Fighter always intended to be dark and violent or only became that way after Fu Sheng's death? And if it was originally intended to be violent why did LKL choose to direct a film so out of character? He was the anti blood and guts director, right?

odioustrident

The last Shaw Bros. MA films all had a darker tone. Probably a decision from high up .

Just to add I dont consider Pole Fighter to be a real tribute to Fu Sheng at all, just simply his last film. I wish Shaw Brothers would have taken the time to produce a true tribute film, one that actually captured his true nature and persona. The guy in Pole Fighter, thats not how I like to remember Fu Sheng. If a film was picked from the vaults to be an official in remembrance film I think Cheng Che's Discipiles of Shaolin should be it.

Whatever the reason the film is still a masterpiece.

Yes it is, I almost wish there was a sequel

It's kind've a happy mistake. Like the old commercials where the chocalate bar lands in the peanut butter. Yeah it's feels odd when Fu Sheng's story stalls, but what an ending. Eight Diagram Pole Fighter and Challenge of the Masters are my favorite films from Lau Kar Leung.

Maybe this is wrong, but didn't I also read somewhere that LKL was going through a divorce during the filming of this? Whatever the reason, yes, there is a serious dark, gloomy, angst-ridden vibe throughout this whole movie. It's hard to put your finger on it, but it seems to be a dark mojo that's deeper than just the story or direction.

The only thing that keeps this movie from being a complete masterpiece, for me at least, is the de-fanging of the bad guys in the end---just too silly for me.

I love the de-fanging at the end. Yeah it's awkward, but those bad guys will remember that fight everytime they have to gum a pork bun for the rest of their misrable lives. lol!!:bigsmile:

The caskets being so prominent during the end fight and Pai Mei's head going through one was somewhat morbid.

i'm at a bit of a lose to what people mean as so violent, it didn't seem any more violent than most shaw movies, maybe not even as violent. i mean at this time the shaw movies were already obviously going down hill because they were over doing everything and adding unfunny so called comedy, maybe if they would have stuck to more serious storylines and yes, violence like they did in the 70's they would have lasted longer. just my opinion.:smile:

Killer Meteor
i'm at a bit of a lose to what people mean as so violent, it didn't seem any more violent than most shaw movies, maybe not even as violent. i mean at this time the shaw movies were already obviously going down hill because they were over doing everything and adding unfunny so called comedy, maybe if they would have stuck to more serious storylines and yes, violence like they did in the 70's they would have lasted longer. just my opinion.:smile:

Its more a case of violent for Lau Kar Leung, and violent for a mainstream HK martial arts film of that period.

I think it was just going to be a rare dark film from LKL anyway with Fu Sheng's death at mid production just a bizarre coincidence.

DAJIZZARIZZA

this was, is and will always be a classic gem.

you can analyze anything too much ,.. some of the ending of movie was made 1st ,.. so that tells me he intended to do whatever was made from the beginning ,.. only curve was the early death of the talented actor. he had to re-visit and adjust.

he still woped out a hell of a film.

i like to know why do people analyze films so damn much,.. why not just enjoy it for what it is?

Killer Meteor

i like to know why do people analyze films so damn much,.. why not just enjoy it for what it is?

Who said we didn't enjoy it? Analyzing films in such a way can complement the film and give us a sense of its production history.

crazedjustice888

Loss can lead to bitterness and bitterness will eat you up unless you unleash it. No matter who you lost and how you lost them, so people just lash out as a way to cope. I guess this was LKLs way of lashing out to the point of violence. I know when I get angry I get (like most people) highly irritable, so imagine that multiplied. If he was also going through a divorce, I am surprised it wasn't MORE bloody. Thats just me...lol

I think it was just going to be a rare dark film from LKL anyway with Fu Sheng's death at mid production just a bizarre coincidence.

I totally agree. When you look at the storyline, a good portion of a family was slaughtered because they fell into a trapped, so if fu sheng lived, I still think this movie would have been a bit on the dark side. But fu sheng's death, the closing of the studio, as well as rumors that lau kar leung and hui ying hung relationship was ending, I am sure played a part in the dark atmosphere moreso.

Archived