The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter / 五郎八卦棍 (1983)

Guest Dahnamics

I just realised recently that this is the possibly the most symmetrical movie ever made; virtually every shot for the majority runtime is set up symmetrically. I wonder how much this contributes to the emotional impact of it all; that real focused, balanced, surging forward, straight down the middle feel.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still am amazed at the part when Gordon fights with Kara strapped to his back. Most films would go with a dummy attached there, but it looks like they had her on there the whole time. That must have taken some serious strength and stamina, let alone skill.

The fight scenes were very good, but the movie became very bloody near the end. It didn't seem necessary for "EDPF" to be so bloody near the end of the movie.

So what's your point?XD

So if someone killing your father, 4 brothers, and about to kill your little sister, and betraying your country wouldn't warrent blood I don't know what would.

I didn't like this one, but I found it more violent than usual - the teeth-knocking was a bit gruesome.

I didn't find this film gruesome at all, it was only teeth, I've seen worse, Cheng Cheh's films 10-15 years earlier were more violent and gruesome.

The review over at KFC Cinema says its completely humorless, I don't agree. The scene where they "remove the wolves teeth" was really funny, I was laughing out loud at that part. Overall its pretty serious and dark but but that little bit broke some of the tension at the perfect point in the finale.

Also Fu Sheng's performance is a little over the top, kind of unintentionally funny.

I'll have to check that runtime for each scene thing, interesting observation.

I love this movie. It is more violent and bloody to what we are used to from Lau Kar Leung but I didn't really mind. I thought the fight choreography was excellent and the training was very interesting with the wolves. The endfight with the teeth-knocking was awesome!

Also Fu Sheng's performance is a little over the top, kind of unintentionally funny.

Different points of view. I don't agree at all with your perception about the Fu Sheng's performance as "unintentionally funny". An experimented actor as Fu Sheng "unintentionally performs a little funny?" (my words) Funny? Each actor has his own way of expressing violent emotions, Fu Sheng don't fit in the stereotype. He was (in the movie) out of his mind, lost his reason. He could yell all the time over the top, roar, cry like a child, etc. For me, it's an excelent actuation because not all the actors have the same reactions or talk in the same way. Be out of mind allows a constellation of probabilities for the actor, and I think that Fu Sheng's performance in EDPF shows him in his actoral maturity.

Just my opinion.

Alexandra

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

When I first saw this film it was dubbed, and I felt like Fu Sheng's performance was a bit OTT. After finding out years later what had happened- him dying during filming- I felt very moved when I watched it again. But I was even more emotionally affected when I saw the film subtitled in Chinese. Despite the performance still being dubbed, seeing it in it's correct language made Fu Sheng's scenes so much more powerful and serious.

I found the performance of the Yang mother, Lily Li, to be tremendous, she has a great screen presence and in my opinion her character suffers just as much as the surviving sons.

Despite the performance still being dubbed, seeing it in it's correct language made Fu Sheng's scenes so much more powerful and serious.

I saw the film in mandarin and subtitled in english. You got the point: when you hear Alexander saying his lines in mandarin, you understand very well the dramatic intention, and the performance fits in the power and deep emotion wanted by the director and Alexander do it FANTASTIC.

Alexandra

I finally watched this movie in it's entirety and I must say I was floored by it!! FU Sheng not only acted great, his screen fighting was at an all time best. He just looked real crisp and effective. XD

I think the violence fits the film perfectly and the emotion surrounding it.

Due to the circumstances, it's hard for me to watch this film... This and Legendary Weapons of China.

:(

However, they both rock, and in different ways!

Guest Masked Avenger

This is great movie.

It's not suitable for children. But It's hard to call the movie violent. Chang Che's movies are rather violent.

Also the color of blood used in KF movies differ from real blood's, so it's easy to watch.

I love this movie.

On a side note, I just heard the main theme used in an episode of 'Great Crimes and Trials'.

I love this movie.

On a side note, I just heard the main theme used in an episode of 'Great Crimes and Trials'.

I think the music was originally made for the Daimajin movie, a really great old kaiju film from 66.

Guest WuxiaFan

8 Diagram Pole Fighter is one of the greatest SB films of all time. I am always in complete amazement of this film. I SB films were ranked in terms of greatness, this would be in the top 5, I just don't know where.

I think the music was originally made for the Daimajin movie, a really great old kaiju film from 66.

I'll check it out if available.

Yes. After reading the title of the track, it seems that much more fitting.

LittleDragon

Superb movie,great cast,story,action...up there among the best of Shaws.!

Alexandra
Superb movie,great cast,story,action...up there among the best of Shaws.!

Agree. It's remarkable the first scene, over all the movie. The battle in the mount Jinsha where the Yang Patriarch faces the Tartars with his seven sons is awesome. Lau Kar Leung made one of the most impressive fight choreographies. This scene was nominated in 1984 in the Hong Kong Film Award in the category of Best Action Choreography, it really deserved the award. All the Yang's were splendid in their roles. We can see Wong Yue (Yang Nro. 1) fall into a disaster when the tartars engaged his spear and kill him, Liu Chia Yung (Yang Nro. 2) whom is tied to poles and stabbed, Chang Chan Peng (Yang Nro. 7) whom put his own body to protect his father and received all the shots, Gordon Liu (Yang Nro. 5) not so remarkable in the battle because the protagonism became later in the movie, Hsiao Hu (Yang Nro. 4) I believe that this Yang dies after the explosion and the attack of the tartars, don't remember very well, and don't remember what happened to Mat Te Lo (Yang Nro. 3) in the battle....and what can I say about Alexander Fu Sheng? (Yang Nro. 6) It's completly awesome, his facial expressions, his voice modulations, his exteriorizations of rage, fury, madness, out of control, fury... and his skills in spear fight was perfect. A masterpiece.

Alexandra

peringaten
Agree. It's remarkable the first scene, over all the movie. The battle in the mount Jinsha where the Yang Patriarch faces the Tartars with his seven sons is awesome. Lau Kar Leung made one of the most impressive fight choreographies. This scene was nominated in 1984 in the Hong Kong Film Award in the category of Best Action Choreography, it really deserved the award. All the Yang's were splendid in their roles. We can see Wong Yue (Yang Nro. 1) fall into a disaster when the tartars engaged his spear and kill him, Liu Chia Yung (Yang Nro. 2) whom is tied to poles and stabbed, Chang Chan Peng (Yang Nro. 7) whom put his own body to protect his father and received all the shots, Gordon Liu (Yang Nro. 5) not so remarkable in the battle because the protagonism became later in the movie, Hsiao Hu (Yang Nro. 4) I believe that this Yang dies after the explosion and the attack of the tartars, don't remember very well, and don't remember what happened to Mat Te Lo (Yang Nro. 3) in the battle....and what can I say about Alexander Fu Sheng? (Yang Nro. 6) It's completly awesome, his facial expressions, his voice modulations, his exteriorizations of rage, fury, madness, out of control, fury... and his skills in spear fight was perfect. A masterpiece.

Alexandra

I agree, a brilliant scene. Did you notice, when we first see each brother fight, we get a single uncut shot of each, which when finishing edits to a similar shot of the next brother carrying on from the last brother's exact same move/pose, to be used on a different set of tartar foes. It carries through so smoothly that unless you're really paying attention it looks like just one person in sequence shot from several cameras & cut between. Little touches like that cement Lau Kar Leung's genius; the way he draws out the story's dynamics through choreography, and solidifies the bond between the brothers within the action. Too good.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Did you notice, when we first see each brother fight, we get a single uncut shot of each, which when finishing edits to a similar shot of the next brother carrying on from the last brother's exact same move/pose, to be used on a different set of tartar foes.

I picked up on this after watching the film a few times. An awesome idea, perfectly realized on film.

Archived