The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter / 五郎八卦棍 (1983)

Guest Dahnamics

kungfusamurai

Wasn't there also issues between Kara Hui and Pops brewing? I recall reading here and other places that their romantic relationship was strained by this point. That might have added to the heightened emotional nature of the film. It definitely is a film that displays a lot of rage. I find having the shaolin monks acting so angry as they fight a bit too over-the-top.

i8GyELhcNvs

KFS

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shaolin drunkard

Gordon Yangs character is not so perfect hero which adds lot to movie.Because of his hot tempe woodcutter(lkl) gets rid of his life.Shaolin monk is not willing to accept him and ultimately after lears 8 diagram skill he acts against rules of shaolin.One of best Hui Ying Hungs performances too.Only Shaolin Mantis and 36th Chamber of shaolin are equal to this masterpiece.

Wasn't there also issues between Kara Hui and Pops brewing? I recall reading here and other places that their romantic relationship was strained by this point. KFS

W-whhhatt? I must have been asleep when we talked about this.

Or I just forgot - old brain, old memory. You know how that goes.

Pops n Kara... so what's the skinny on that?

W-whhhatt? I must have been asleep when we talked about this.

Or I just forgot - old brain, old memory. You know how that goes.

Pops n Kara... so what's the skinny on that?

I'm not sure when, but it was rumored they had a relationship during their time making these movies, she no doubt was attracted to his power in the business and as his pupil, as for Kara well who wouldn't want to hook up with her here?(I'd marry her todayXD). At least they kept it off screen as he always had sexual tension between her and Hsiao Ho. Of course I'm speculating here maybe someone else has accurate info.

It appears to be cut near the beginning...is there a thread with a list of Celestial cuts?

Why'd they shoot that outside opening battle inside the studio!? Was LKL trying to flatter Chu Yuan or something? XD

Can't be... I know Clans of Intrigue is cut. And 8 Diagram still needs confirmation. Shame there's nothing more comprehensive done in the Markgway style.

Cut where? That beginning's great, I think of it as a glorified red screen backdrop opening, with its studio setting. Think it's brilliant - would like to know where you think it's cut... the brilliance of the whole thing relies on the way LKL has each Yang family brother begin & end the next one's move. Highlights the way they fight in unison - never noticed any cuts before to detract from this.

Love the way LKL uses edits & studio backdrops for openings, like Shaolin Mantis, the way DC demonstrates forms then adopts a pose, then they cut whoever he's fighting, Chin Yuet San or whoever, straight in there, gives it some bosh impact... 8 Diagram's opening is claaassss, the studio opening use is an LKL trademark, not unique to him but, he took the red screen thing a bit further, 8 D a peak.

Yang Wu Liang

I agree Peri!

Dunno if you knew but the battle that opening scene depicts is very famous in chinese culture (although I think it's fictional). I doubt they had the resources to depict it realistically and do it justice, whereas, like Peri mentioned the stylistic approach was a triumph!

Various details, of the deaths of the Yang brothers, doesn't appear to be shown from what I remember in the old Australian VHS release, which is what we used to compare old prints against.

I'll have to check that out

Various details, of the deaths of the Yang brothers, doesn't appear to be shown from what I remember in the old Australian VHS release, which is what we used to compare old prints against.

Isn't that battle the same as the bloody one at the beginning of The 14 Amazons but shot on location? ................and yes there is a lot more to learn about the 4 Yang it did not end there - not his story anyway.Those who know the outcome will elaborate.

................and yes there is a lot more to learn about the 4 Yang it did not end there - not his story anyway.Those who know the outcome will elaborate.

Hurm inquiring minds would like to know:nerd:

Might have gone in that direction if Alexander Fu Sheng hadn't died during the filming.

Exactly!

Alexandra

Archived