The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter / 五郎八卦棍 (1983)

Guest Dahnamics

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May seem like a silly question but the first time I saw this movie (in a non-dubbed format) was last year on a pay tv channel here in Australia. It was a remastered Celestial print but the weird thing about it was the language. It was in Cantonese for maybe two thirds of the film and the rest of it (I believe it switched just before Yang No. 8 goes to search for Yang No. 5) was in Mandarin. I haven't watched the IVL in some time but I just remembered this and was curious. Which is the original language?

Thanks.

Is there any chance of Dragon Dynasty releasing this one? The i-net says they have it in the copyright office. I really want to get a copy of this movie, but I dont want to buy the bootleg, I would buy the R3 but if there's a chance for an offical release I'll wait for that.

Yep find yourself a copy of the IVL dvd. Dragon Dynasty will release this eventually I'm sure but until then....

Wise move on not purchasing the boots as the bootleggers don't deserve a penny of your money.

Guest Markgway
Since we're on the subject, would it be worth buying the Red Sun release of this? Or should I just wait for DD?

Red Sun are bootleggers. Buy the IVL from HK or wait for DD.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW

I saw "Eight Diagram Pole Fighter" for the first time, which was at The 2008 L.A. Film Festival at around last June. The fight scenes were very good, but the movie became very bloody near the end. It didn't seem necessary for "EDPF" to be so bloody near the end of the movie.

Other than that, I thought that "EDPF" was a very good HK kung fu movie. It seems like Shaw Brothers movies aren't shown that often in the theatres nowadays, for some reason. Maybe The 4 Star Movie Theatre, in San Francisco, or The Nuart or Beverly Cinema Theatres in L.A. should show some Shaw movies.

That kind of looked like Wong Yue, of "Executioners of Shaolin", in the beginning of "EDPF".

I liked the blood, it illustrated the rage inside the character, also you may not know the history attached to the film, (The tragic death of Fu Sheng), It's indirectly conveyed through the intensity of the choreography

well said iron boat. EDPF is one of a few Shaw brothers that I feel emotionally satisfying after watching the whole movie.

shaolin drunkard

^what he said.There is no question about quality of LKLs filmmaking but lack of gore or thing there are truckload of movies nobody is killed or badly injured is reason his movies often do not meet my demands fully.8 diagram(invincible pole fighters) is masterpieceXD

I think 8 Diagram is a 5 star film, but what stops it being the best of the best is that its a very slow film that didn't appeal too much to my gathering of friends at a late night event (they got bored during the middle). It's better to watch it on your own. However, the more action-packed Shaolin Intruders was a major success.

Like Iron Boat said, when you know the troubled path the film was put on after Fu Sheng's tragically early death, you soon realise that what Pops eventually brought us wasn't "just" a KF film, but a truly bleak and heartbroken masterpiece, with an almost supernatural atmosphere at times.

I've shown this film to people who don't care for KF films and they've all been impressed by it.

Just thinking of that final shot, with Fu Sheng's face appearing in the sky as Gordon walks away, gives me goose bumps!!!

I think the historical significance has something to do with this also, but no doubt Fu Sheng's death brought out some serious emotion, just look at the intensity in their faces at the end.

i have to say i liked the blood letting in this movie---i have always preferred the violent blood and thunder shaws to the more non violent ones. after all these are kung fu movies and i expect lots of fighting etc--also lets face it when people are fighting to the death with knives- swords- axes etc , obviously there would be a lot of blood and guts involved-- thats just the way it is.

I've never had the good fortune to see this on the big screen, but I've seen it on progressively better formats over the years until, finally, the Celestial R3 DVD. It's one I go back to every couple of years and it never fails to blow me away. I consider it the greatest kung fu movie ever made. And, no, the bloodshed doesn't bother me. It makes sense given the tragic context, both onscreen and off.

Archived