The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter / 五郎八卦棍 (1983)

Guest Dahnamics

Guest Dahnamics

fighter...

wowoowoww

yes im trash now

anyway..

this movie was the @#%$ i saw that @#%$ this morning, well its monrnig now but i saw it in the real morning at like 10 am.. and whoaaaaaaaaa at the last 2 fighs.. @#%$ s OFF TEH CHAIN

the on wherer phillip ko fightes lui chia hui before he goes the @#%$ on the dudes that set him up n kidnapped his sister etc..

and the FINAL FIGHT????????

ARE U SERUIOUS????????

wowoowow @ the coffins n @#%$.. this move was ****in dope.. damn joe.. this @#%$ was sooooooooo sick... dididiamn cuh.....

8 Diagram Poke Fighter = 8.5/10

pz

Dah

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kungfusamurai

You didn't say 'it was off the hook'. You said 'off the chain' which isn't as strong.

So, now I don't believe you really liked it. :)

KFS

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Top 5 Shaw flick for me. Seen it at least 5 times and enjoy just as much each time. Phillip Ko V Gordon Liu simply phenomenal!! :eek

Guest Iron Boat

Yep, without a doubt, 8 Diagram Pole Fighter is one of the best Shaw Films ever...Gordon Liu and Phillip Ko were superb

Guest sevenhooks
You didn't say 'it was off the hook'. You said 'off the chain' which isn't as strong.

But isn't a chain heavier than a hook?

Therefore, wouldn't "off the chain" be, in effect, stronger?

Guest Dahnamics

hahaha.. good ol' drunken reviews! i stand by everything that was said. this movie is as good as it gets, and the final two fights were some of the best i've ever seen in a kung fu movie. i watched the dub tho.. is fu shengs whining voice anywhere near as annoying as the dub artists?? ahhhhhhh! ahhhhhh!!! mongols!!!!!!! ahhhhhh!! jesus... next time im watching with subs.. lol.. and make sure Mantis108 doesn't see this this thread!! He'll have to go whipe his vagina off after he pisses himself in disgust.

i,m hopeing that dragondynasty does this one.--- in original english dub of course-- includeing the missing footage of the fathers death.

Guest kungfusamurai

But isn't a chain heavier than a hook?

Therefore, wouldn't "off the chain" be, in effect, stronger?

--------------------------------------------------

But your name is SevenHooks - you should be playing up the 'hook' beating the 'chain' for stronger effect!

I'd rather get hit by a chain than poked with a hook.

Now we're getting into some weird S&M territory. I think I'll end it there... :)

KFS

Guest kungfusamurai

LMAO @ the rza comment

-----------------------

Doesn't Tarantino talk like that too? Foshizzle!

KFS

Guest sonnycheebasmoke

what a great thread, some humour up in the mother focker finally.i agree, this is one of the 2nd or 3rd vcds i bought when i started gettin the new celestial stuff. i was amped as all get out to see this classic.it did not let me down.

I've got 2 questions about this, for anyone that knows more about the subject?

I'd heard that "in the source story, the 4th brother (who gets kidnapped) married a Liao princess and returns". Wondering if that 'source story' is factual, or the story written for the movie?

Also, how true to the history is the film itself (aside from the development of the Yang Family 5th Brother pole style of course)?

Thanks.

Righteous Master

Great questions Asmo. Perhaps someone with a litte bit more insight can help out? I would like to hear more about this topic.

Yang Wu Liang

It’s based on the famous Chinese ‘true’ story of the Yang family of Generals from the Sung Dynasty. The opening scene where the Yang family are defeated is a very well known incident in Chinese history where the dodgy Prime Minister betrayed the Yangs and conspired with the Liao’s who were always trying to invade. They were supposed to be signing a treaty but they ambushed the Yang forces and wiped em out with the exception of a few brothers. As far as I know 5th brother survived but for various reasons went off to be a monk, 6th brother survived and became the leader of the Yang forces and 4th brother ended up married to a Liao princess and suffering from amnesia.

I think that after the opening battle 8 Diagram Pole Fighter ceases to be based on the original story. I don’t think 5th brother did any fighting as a monk, he just wanted to pray and lead a penitent life (he felt very guilty because of the way in which he survived) and 6th brother definately didn’t go mad, in fact he went on to take revenge for his family and defeat the invading Liao forces!

It’s the brother’s wives and their family that set off to war in 14 Amazons many years down the line and I think that the young lad played by Lily Ho is 6th brothers son (or maybe his grandson, I can't quite remember).

Have a look at the recent TV series ‘The Young Warriors’ which is about the seven brothers and there various antics as they grow up, it’s quite lighthearted in tone but their inevitable fate’s a bit depressing!

I think that after the opening battle 8 Diagram Pole Fighter ceases to be based on the original story. I don’t think 5th brother did any fighting as a monk, he just wanted to pray and lead a penitent life (he felt very guilty because of the way in which he survived) and 6th brother definately didn’t go mad, in fact he went on to take revenge for his family and defeat the invading Liao forces!

Might have gone in that direction if Alexander Fu Sheng hadn't died during the filming.

Endsang, that could be true.

Yang Wu Liang, much thanks for the info. Did the 5th brother develop the pole style as a direct result of becoming a monk or was it something he developed over time? Or is it just something that's been misattributed to him?

Yang Wu Liang

I'm no expert on the subject but I would think that he only went on to develop the pole style in the film, not the source story - as far as I know he became a monk to give up fighting, LOL wouldn't have made much of a film that though. In reality the Yang's were very famous for their Yang family spear technique as can be seen at the start of 8DPF and in 14 Amazons, It was probably an idea of LKL's for him to develop it into a pole technique in the monastry.

I study 7 Star Praying Mantis.....our style has what is known as the "5th Young Brothers Staff', based off the same story....

Might have gone in that direction if Alexander Fu Sheng hadn't died during the filming.

Exactly! The film was shelved upon Fu Sheng's death and completed (after much rewriting) posthumously. It is clear that after the opening sequence, the rest of the film adapts a more of a 36th Chamber-type feel to it, working around Fu Sheng's absent Sixth Yang character. I'm sure the movie would have originally ended with the Sixth Yang cured of his post-traumatic stress syndrome and charging into battle at the proverbial eleventh hour.

Liu Chia-Liang (as well as most of the staff and talent at SB) went into a depression afterwards producing very little new work for the remainder of the year. When the Lius returned to the project, it centered on #5's transformation into a Monk instead. The movie poster prominently displays Fu Sheng, even though he is barely in the finished film, perhaps as an homage and a tribute to the last great SB star. I believe this turning point was the catalyst that led to the eventual closure of the Shaws' movie production studio.

Still a great film, nonetheless!

I study 7 Star Praying Mantis.....our style has what is known as the "5th Young Brothers Staff', based off the same story....

I had known the style existed, but wasn't sure how it came into being and its relation to the historical version.

Exactly! The film was shelved upon Fu Sheng's death and completed (after much rewriting) posthumously. It is clear that after the opening sequence, the rest of the film adapts a more of a 36th Chamber-type feel to it, working around Fu Sheng's absent Sixth Yang character. I'm sure the movie would have originally ended with the Sixth Yang cured of his post-traumatic stress syndrome and charging into battle at the proverbial eleventh hour.

Liu Chia-Liang (as well as most of the staff and talent at SB) went into a depression afterwards producing very little new work for the remainder of the year. When the Lius returned to the project, it centered on #5's transformation into a Monk instead. The movie poster prominently displays Fu Sheng, even though he is barely in the finished film, perhaps as an homage and a tribute to the last great SB star. I believe this turning point was the catalyst that led to the eventual closure of the Shaws' movie production studio.

Still a great film, nonetheless!

Yes, it did seem to take on a darker 36th Chamber type feeling. You can literally feel the emotions the cast/crew must have felt when you see the moments where Gordon shaves and burns his head and in the final fight. Going on the version that was released, and the potential original ending.

Depending on how much the original version was to focus on Liu, I'd have liked to have seen the events that unfold with Chi Wang (the master who informs the Yang family of 5's whereabouts) and Sister 8, all the while centering on Fu Sheng. Ideally, I'd have had them both fighting in the final fight and then parting at the end, similar to how Brother 5 walks off at the end of the film.

That's probably not how it was to happen, given the circumstance but it would have been nice. I'm still more than pleased with the final version. LKL's darkest work, IMO.

It is kind of odd that 7-Star Praying Mantis would have this set as chut sing tong long is a northern style and ng long baat kwa kwun is generally associated with southern systems most notably hung gar. Possibly the set was incorporated into your system becuase long staff is not typically found in northern systems.

Ng Long Baat Kwa Kwun (5th Brothers Staff) is most famous in the hung gar system but can also be found in styles like jow gar, hung hut and choy lay fut although the sets themselves are different they share the same name. Baat Kwa Kwun (8 Diagram Staff) is a very famous poling style in southern China and was incorporated into many southern systems.

So was the movie correct with the title of '8 Diagram Pole Fighter' even though the style featured was (I assume) the 5th brother style?

Archived