Secret Service of the Imperial Court

Guest rindge

Guest rindge

This movie has always been a favorite of mine. I watched again last night and I was finally struck by how sped up (I forget the actually film term) the fight scenes were. I have seen complaints from others on this board about the sped up scenes, but they never bothered me - until last night. Still a great movie, but it could have done without the speed. What a great ending and Ku feng delivers once again.

Just pre-ordered Killer Constable - no sped up scenes there.

bubbabgone

Does anybody else here think Secret Service of the Imperial Court sucks!

Just kidding.

Great movie.

One of my favorites.

A big bold honkin' 5/5.

Guest BKarza

It's one that in the end, I don't really care about. Meaning to have or keep. That said, i think it's a very good movie that is very deep. Some of the most powerful scenes in the movie to me are when Ku Feng sees his son's head. His insuing reaction to that truth is a testament to his friggin' skill and the depth of the situation. The other is when Kar Yan is in the village and the folk are forced to try to kill him. It's not a want, it's a have to. The depth of that situation culminates with him having to fight Lo Lieh to the death. I was thinking to me-self, damn, this is deep. Not even mentioning Lo Mang...

Deep baby, deep.

Guest CLFNole

Undercranking is what ruined Lady Assassin for me, so maybe I shouldn't get this one as I have been holding off. Isn't this the same story as Killer Constable? Would I be better off getting KC instead?

Brigadier Chow

The only similarity between the two is the sword that they (Liang Jia Ren & Chen Kwan Tai) both carried. I'm telling you, if that was posted the person was mistaken, the story is very much so different.

Haven't seen it, but criticisms of excessive undercranking make me avoid any KF movie. I just do not like that effect. I'll take slow-as-molasses, trampolines, and reverse-film jumps over that any day of the week.

bubbabgone
Haven't seen it, but criticisms of excessive undercranking make me avoid any KF movie.

Do not be scared off by that kind of description.

Guest rindge

CLF, I think you would do well to have both movies. I think Killer Constable is a much better movie. Both are enjoyable.

Guest CLFNole

Maybe I will get both I was planning to get Killer Constable but never really considered SSOTIC as I had never heard of it before then heard talk of the undercracking.

I do like Leung Kar Yan and I didn't know Law Mong (Lo Meng) was it this as well so I might pick it up in a down month but we have a lot of good months coming with movies I am really looking forward to but I will pick this one up when I have a chance.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Big fan of SSOTIC! I've always thought of it as a Chinese version of "Lone Wolf And Cub". Also the only Shaw film (that i know of) with Beardy as the lead. One of my first few Celestial dvd purchases a few years back. Yes there is undercranking, but didnt take away from my enjoyment of the film at all. I also liked "The Lady Assassin", which had some undercranking.

Guest morgoth

Lo Meng is not in the movie much, but this is definitely one of his finer moments. The movie also stars Phillp Ko, Lo Lieh, and Pai Paio in good roles. And Lau Wing is fabulous as the villain.

Guest kermit
Haven't seen it, but criticisms of excessive undercranking make me avoid any KF movie.

We're not talking Donnie Yen levels of undercranking. I think it's used well in this film.

Guest ironfistedmonk2003

Maybe we should create a rating system for the level of undercranking used in films similar to the Richter scale used to measure seismic activity, we could call it the Donnie Yen scale!

There is undercranking in this film and it is noticeable, i didn't like it too much on first viewing because of this but I have since watched it a second time and I think it is starting to grow on me

Guest Iron Boat

Yes the undercranking is annoying and the movie is a bit odd. Its entertaining but is definitly not the same film as Killer Constable...Invincible Fist is more like Killer Constable than Secret Service.

Guest ODH1

one of my all time favorites. shows the director of "holy Flame of the martial world" can do more straightforward stuff and well.

5/5

Guest Hellswindstaff

I think because it was undercranked I didn't enjoy it that much, but i will give it another go, (I think i agree with what KyFi said!!) But also Killer constable apart from the final scene, (which was commendable) could off done with some undercranking as I though I was watching fight scenes from ther late 60's - early 70's era!! And the sad thing is I like Chen Kwan Tai...

HWS

The Silver Fox

Does anybody know where I can get the IVL DVD of 'Secret Service of the Imperial Court'? I know DDDHouse has the VCD but since I've got a region free player now, I kind of want the DVD.

Problem is, it's out of print and it seems like this title is pretty scarce-I can't even find it in Chinatown. Any help would be greatly appreciated.