• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest inchilottaP
In all its remastered glory.

Its just so sick.

That is all.

Argh you! ;)

Was tempted by Yesasia but they've been slow for me in the past.

I have a feeling if it was cut somebody would have noticed and posted as the blood sprays-a-plenty in this one so much you could not notice.

Hopefully mine shows up tomorrow. 8o

Guest dndcollect

i used yesasia and paid the $8.99 for express. i got in on the 24th, not bad, 2 days.

i cant tell if its uncut because i have never seen an uncut version.

the blood is there, even more so with how bright the colors are.

one thing i noticed that i didnt notice on the ground zero or any other BS version was that during the scene where the camera pans around the room with those "boothes" with 2 people in them staring at each other, there is a ton of cool smoke coming out of them.

i never noticed the smoke.

there is a sad part to all this. i lost my flag of iron. dont know where the hell it is, didnt even see the whole thing. what a damn waste.

Guest NinjaForce

Just got my latest order which included Masked Avengers, watched it twice yesterday. And it looks glorious, the old tape that I had was slightly dark although it had good detail so always made me wonder what the actual lighting and colours where supposed to be like, and I have to say it’s amazing experiencing it wide, remastered & the way it was originally meant to be seen. Just amazing!!

It’s hard to say if it’s cut or not, the running time seems shorter, although this could be accounted for by the fact that my old tape came from an NTSC master converted to PAL. I didn’t notice any major cuts ( there could be trimming between scenes ), and all the action is there if I remember rightly.

The original trailer was a real bonus, as I thought they had stopped putting new trailers on the dvds, the previous batch I ordered had no trailers of the films concerned, so this was a really pleasant surprise. Although I have to say the condition of the original trailer is poor and makes you appreciate the work that goes into the remastering process if some of the prints start off this bad and this one is very bad. :D

Guest BKarza

Just got mine in. Not a favorite of mine so I'll actually watch it later. Scanning through to action just to see. Watching these coming up and later finding out about what pan & scan was, it's bloody amazing to see these now.

You can tell what was being chopped itno multiple shots for tv cuts. Now when you see the whole shot happening at once, it's seeing it with fresh eyes. Watching this FS was doing it G-R-A-V-E- injustice. Friggin', bloody amazing!!!

Btw, that original trailer was beat to all hell, brought back to life and then beaten back to hell again. If To Kill a Mastermind looks anything like that, oh boy.

Brigadier Chow

That is really funny cause I was thinking the same thing as I watched the orig. trailer B. Even if it does I would still think it is an improvement on the print that is out now.

Guest inchilottaP

Wow the old school dub team was really sleeping or didn't care when they did this one and I love Shaw dubs.

I always though it was strange that the first few lines of the movie weren't even dubbed in.

Seen this in some cheapy taiwanese indys before but never in a shaw production.

So much more noticable when you watch the movie subbed.

-Kui Choi comes off alot less of a dick then he did in the dub.

-They actually refer to them as the Masked Avengers alot.

-ALOT of dialogue in what is somewhat of a mystery movie were every bit of it is needed is condensed in the dub.

I spent a couple hours trying to sync up the dub with no luck and when I finally just decided to throw in the subbed version I wondered why I even wasted my time.

FWIW the dub goes out of sync right after the guy who first get tores up by the Avengers after the credits shows up back at home.

I think their may be extra dialogue at this moment in this version compared to the GZ version because I did properly convert the audio to account for the PAL speed-up and it still wouldn't sync after this point.

Guest BKarza

Watching the Chu Ko, Lu Feng, Wang Li vs Chin Siu Ho fight. Over and over and back and back again. Ridiculous. Chu Ko is doing things with his trident crossing his arms and such. Ridiculous. He and Wang Li are doing this double team/relay-ish type action that is just, you guessed it, ridiculous. Lu Feng did this thing where he used the round part of the head of the trident to pull CSH's sword in close to him to strike. Ridiculous. Add the music used during this and one can't help but get amped.

Guest monk sante
i defy anyone to find a better ending than this movie.

I just finished watching this flick and had to put my 2 cents here! This movie rocks! Kuo Choi is one bad Mo Fo!:hat

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Just viewed Celestial's version. Awesome! Even though the eng. subs vs. the Ground Zero eng. dubbs is (seemingly) has less conviction, it didn't ruin the film for me a bit. Awesome! All I can say.

Guest sevenhooks
wow the original trailer is beat up to hell.

Yes it is.

VERRRRY badly beat up.

So bad that I'd understand if they had decided NOT to add the trailer to the disc.

Celestial sure is strange.

I know all of the trailers can't look anything like that, so why not add them?

Can't find them?

Too lazy to?

My guess is, yes.

Too lazy to find them.

Guest HAZ74
It's also due to the framecuts.

It's also due to the framecuts.

hkfilmnews.blogspot.com/2...rview.html

Spannick talks a little about it in this interview. The general rule I think was four minutes get lopped out of most movies due to this.

HK AND CULT FILM NEWS

Your source for all the latest Hong Kong and Cult Films DVD News and Reviews!

This interview was cool! I never check for dubs, but that guy Marin does some pretty impressive work!

peace

h

Guest oldeschool17

anybody notice wong lik and chiang sheng have some gnarly "chang cheh"-esque type teeth.

Guest oldeschool17
one thing i noticed that i didnt notice on the ground zero or any other BS version was that during the scene where the camera pans around the room with those "boothes" with 2 people in them staring at each other, there is a ton of cool smoke coming out of them. i never noticed the smoke.

Yeh i never noticed this part either. It seems a few parts that were released before were taken out. This seems to be an example.

Anybody else notice the homosexual undertones with Lu Feng's character(his 2 body guards with the princess leah hair buns). Just like that scene you mentioned, he's on the pillar with 2 doods while everybody else in the booth is guy/girl.

Guest falkor

Masked Avengers feels like a warm up to House of Traps. The end fight in MA would have to be one of the best weapon fights ever staged! The swapping of the tridents is so damn high level; in fact, it's beyond high level! You will never see anything so "hair raising" (as the original trailer puts it) or clever in any modern day film (reminds me why old school movies are the best). Masked Avengers definitely has similar elements to both House of Traps and 5 Element Ninjas! Whose the genius behind these??? Chang Cheh? Well, one thing that intrigued me--even more than the storyline--is Chu Ko's performance as the Deputy! Damn, what a surprise, he's almost up there with Lu Feng mate! @#%$... That was an awesome performance...

Have I got the right guy here--Chu Ko--does all those formations with the trident (2nd down from the lift)? His filmography from HKMDB:

Action Director

Masked Avengers (1981)

House of Traps (1982)

The Brave Archer and His Mate (1982)

Five Element Ninjas (1982)

Hex After Hex (1982)

The Boxer's Omen (1983)

The Weird Man (1983)

Ghosts Galore (1983)

Ninja Hunter (1984)

The Super Ninja (1984)

Hello Dracula 3 (1988)

Assistant Action Director

The Peacock King (1989)

They Came to Rob Hong Kong (1989)

Actor

Demon Strike (1979) ... Hu Pa Tu

Silver Spear (1979) ... extra

The Buddha Assassinator (1980) ... attacker in gambling den

18 Secrets of Kung Fu (1980)

The Rebellious Reign (1980) ... Ming rebel

Roving Heroes (1980)

Northern Kicks, Southern Fists (1981)

Masked Avengers (1981) ... Liang Yung

Sword Stained with Royal Blood (1981) ... Wen Clan member

The Brave Archer Part III (1981) ... Qiu Li (Ren's nephew)

Ode to Gallantry (1982) ... Green Dragon Angel

House of Traps (1982)

The Brave Archer and His Mate (1982) ... Da Er Ba

Five Element Ninjas (1982)

Hex After Hex (1982)

Holy Flame of the Martial World (1983)

Ghosts Galore (1983)

The Weird Man (1983) ... Taoist Yu Ji's pupil

The Child of Peach (1987)

It looks as though Masked Avengers was his Action Choreographical debut. Damn, I got to keep a sharp lookout for this guy in the future... he's FIRST CLASS mate!

Guest BKarza

House of Traps? What? HoT has aboot 2 real fights and maybe 2 other sprinkles. The ending is dope but this has no business even being mentioned in the same breath action wise w/MA. Don't watch the movie itself too late at night either before driving.

Guest gfanikf

Watched it last night top film. Contains all the elements of why we love kung fu movies. Wonderful set designs and production value, reminds me of a Chinese James Bond and Hammer type of set. If you ask me as a film made in 1980 this helps to put one more nail in coffin of the Cheng Cheh made cheap junk films towards the end of his Shaws run slander. Violent and evil as all hell.

Guest stormybman

... and man, did this new remastered version pop off the screen. The IVL version is the one I viewed and compared to the shabby tapes and bootlegg NS DVD that was out for so many years, cut/altered, it's top notch.

The red that's in the chief's mask is brilliant, as well as all the blood from the many Trident impalements.

Upon this viewing, I realized how excellent the fight scenes were, particularly when Chen Siu Hou takes on the three baddies. His single swordplay against the three Tridents was superb, and what can you say that hasn't already been said about the great Kuo Chui? Just check out the long uncut takes, and count the movements, incredible.

Even though Masked Avengers isn't the greatest story from Chang Cheh and his venoms, this splendidly remastered film warrants another peek if you haven't seen it in a while.

Guest jmungus
... and man, did this new remastered version pop off the screen

yep.

this movie`s destined to flash a bright, glossy look (kinda like good airbrush artwork).

Upon this viewing, I realized how excellent the fight scenes were, particularly when Chen Siu Hou takes on the three baddies

word.

that and the superb end fight.

Just check out the long uncut takes, and count the movements, incredible.

indeed.

reference quality material to show your buddies who say sb/oldskoolies are a bit too slow and clunky for their likes ('their likes' being shaped by 'a cut every 2 secs' new wave and hollywood editing and nonstop undercranking).

i ALWAYS catch myself semiconsciously takin notice of the masked avengers`long, unedited fighting segments. pure gold.

Even though Masked Avengers isn't the greatest story from Chang Cheh and his venoms

true. yet it is one of those that flow best, with above (CC/venoms) standard structuring and pacing.

Guest Agent Orange

Ive had this movie for about 2 months. I had never seen ANY version of this film anywhere so i pop in the Celestial/IVL

remaster and im taken aback by how great it was. Visually chang cheh always seems to go the extra 5 miles with props

and sets and on this one he went 10. I couldnt believe it when i saw Chu Ko and Lu Feng coming down from the towers.

Now that movie is a showcase of these martial artists (5,venoms) skills written along a great storyline reminiscent of

the legendary fables of greece and the like. I like the part when Chu Ko was slinging the staff using only his arms into

the air. Man that movie really should be re-released onto the big screen AS IS. It's freaking perfect~!

Guest Steve Barr

A classic. Starts slow, and the titular masks look bad, but once it gets going the movie, and esp. the ending, are very enjoyable. Let's just say there are more traps than in the House of Traps, and some very cool fights, including fan vs. trident.

Archived