Masked Avengers / 叉手 (1981)

Guest dndcollect

Guest VenomsFan

Nice pic teako! For those who haven't seen Masked Avengers, check out this film preview on the movie from the Venoms Documentary here

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest gfanikf

Well figure 4 minutes for frame cuts and then PAL to NTSC. It should be longer then the GZ version.

Guest dndcollect

ddd overnights to the USA? For some reason I cant find it on their site.

i usually order from yesasia, who i have been happy with, however they might not be the absolute fastest.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Ivy, do you live in the united states or china or what have you? I mean where do dddhouse DVDs ship from? HK, or some other far away from the US over seas place?

Guest drunkenmantis13

Man the love here is huge! :eek

Very solid cover, for a change...

*runs for CDwow*

Guest lousy

My order is in at DDDHouse. I've had good experience dealing with them.

Can't wait to get this. One of my all time favorites.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Hi vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I live in Malaysia.

DDDhouse is the best, no arguments about that.

I have tried Sensasian (extremely rude service) and Yesasia (not bad, but expensive & not as fast). Johnny at DDDhouse is efficient, polite and he replies promptly. His prices are reasonable as they reflect the prices of the DVDs in the shops in HK.

Regarding Masked Avengers, if I purchase it, it will be my 3rd Venoms DVD after Crippled Avengers & 5 Venoms. Is Masked Avengers plot-driven as opposed to action for the sake of action?

Guest dndcollect

I think its plot driven, I am biased but I think its the best Venoms film of them all, arguably the best kung fu movie ever made.

Guest inchilottaP
Anyone know why there is no Sun Chien in Masked Avengers?

The weapon work?

Everyone in the film with the exception of Chiang Sheng uses a trident so maybe Chien wasn't proficient with one?

Just a guess as I don't have knowledge of Chien's skills beyond his kicking ability.

dndcollect- Go to www.buyoyo.com

You can get it sent express which is usually only a couple of days.I was tempted to do the same thing but I couldn't justify $17 dollars US for shipping of a $10 dvd.

You can also go to yesasia and get next or 2day but they don't always get stuff as quick as the others so it all works out.

I want this movie as bad as you do and I just decided to go with ddd to save myself the headaches of dealing with these other sites.

9 times out of 10 I get some bullshit from the other sites and by the time they send it, it works out to be just as fast as ddd.

Guest sandpalm79

I think the cover is strange. I mean they have like an extra who got killed on the front. And the guy getting stabbed looks like he's laughing, maybe I need to see it up closer. That being said. It looks kinda cool. looks more like the back of an old horror vhs, you know what i mean?

Masked avengers was the first movie that grabbed me. It has a plot that can stand on its on two legs. as compared to ten tigers of kwantung, brave archer, or ode to gallantry where i mine as well turn off the subtitles. THese movies have great sets and vibe and great action, but no substance in regards to plot or suspense. Masked avengers keeps you engrossed and when the action comes it has meaning. And it grabs you. It also is the period where the fighting was faster and looked less choreagraphed without looking like it was undercranked (swordstainedw.r.B) Kuo Chui is amazing in it. And the finale is the most amazing payoff. better that brave archer 3's ending in my book. It is just awesome. It also has horror elements without any wacky special effects chang cheh used later in nine demons. So its a movie with mystery, horror, suspense, amazing action, possibly best finale in a shaw brothers, and VENOMS!

Brigadier Chow

Thats the same feeling I got when I first saw this in the early 80's on WHT. To me this is one of the most original martial arts movies ever made. Tho you can almost read the plot w your eyes closed, it had a mood that no other MA/Horror movie can touch, except Human Lanterns.

Guest venomchamber

When I saw the cover image, I realized I actually have it! :b

maskedavengerslobbycardql8.jpg

Personally, I would rather have seen the shot of the 3 chiefs, surrounded by a collage of their carnage.

...but in light of what's been going on with Celestial lately, I'm just grateful to get it at all! :D

oh...and don't forget another helping of Lo Lieh as the White Brows Priest Pai Mei, along with David Chiang in a role normally reserved for Gordon Liu in the ABBOT OF SHAOLIN which goes on sale on the same day while you're at it! ;)

*I've taken the day off from work to head to Chinatown and make a Shaw holiday out of it! :rollin

August should be hot...in more ways than one! 8)

Guest Feng Gang
Personally, I would rather have seen the shot of the 3 chiefs, surrounded by a collage of their carnage.

I know... WTF that seems like the obvious choice.

Guest inchilottaP

The perfect cover would have been Lu Feng standing on the rising podium with his trident looking badass and nothing else. :hat

Guest 5th Yang

Just watched Masked Avengers one last time before its Celestial release and the one thing that always bothered me about this film is the over use of makeup around the eyes and brows on many of the characters, especially Lu Feng, Chiang Sheng and Kuo Chui.

I'm not fruity but.....Has anyone else noticed this?8o

It's not as apparant on many of the other Venoms films so it just stood out a lot more on MA.

Guest iron flag

Well, if you were fruity you would probably like the extra makeup! ;)

I kinda like the look. Lu Feng's character in MA is one of my all time favorites. Bad Mutha-f-er!!

Archived