Shaws for Kids Recs (I'll explain)

Guest gfanikf

Guest gfanikf

Tomorrow, I'm going into to my moms school (in Philadelphia) to talk to a fellow teachers first grade class to talk about dinosuars and Japanese animation (I was suprised when I was asked). Now I'm thinking this would be a perfect time to expose them to martial arts movies too. Now, keep in mind I can't show them clips from Masked Avengers (fun as it would be). I was just wondering if you could think of some clips in Shaw flicks that you could show to first graders and that would show them the awesomeness of the Shaw Brothers in about 1-2 minutes.

TIA

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HANZOSTEEL

Demon of the Lute for sure, maybe when Kara Hui is spinning the blade with 'mind' control and it

spins according to the gestures of her hands etc. Definitely nothing from the Delinquent or anything lol...

Guest Feng Gang

I was watching Shaw movies at age 4. The sooner the better... lol as a kid me and my buddies didn't play "cops and robbers", "GI Joe," or even "Ninja Turtles." We played 5 Deadly Venoms.

-I wanna be the toad!

-No I wanna be the toad!

-Okay I'm gonna be the Snake.

-You're a cheater you never wanna be the Snake til I wanna be the toad!

-No cuz you cheat and say none of my hits hurt...so i need secret weapons.

-Well the lizard beat everybody, I'm gonna be the lizard! ::jumps on the back of somebodies car::

LMAO those were the days! It was almost like playing rock, paper, scissors til we started swingin. And to answer your question. At that age I was also hooked on "Marco Polo"... show Bruce Tong picking up boulders.

Guest HANZOSTEEL

Ok ok, i got it use the Fight Scene from Dirty Ho where Chia Hui uses Kara Hui to beat up Wong Yu.

Either that or something from a little film entitled ''Buddha's Palm''

Guest monk sante

Maybe you should show the training scenes from the 36 chambers of shaolin.................Hard work pays off??:lol

Guest teako170

I would keep it simple. Show the opening sequence of The Five Venoms where each character is introduced.

(1) Kids would dig the "Halloween" masks.

(2) There's some good kung fu - but there's no one getting the crap beaten out of them and you want to steer away from anything that might be construed as violence.

(3) Did I mention, kids love masks?

Guest kungfusamurai

I know this is gonna sound too politically correct, but I'm thinking that showing kung fu films to a bunch of kids is a bad idea. I mean, yeah, show the intro to the 5 Venoms film, and maybe some stuff where they show demos, but any hardcore fighting where one guy is beating the hell out of another - that could be asking for trouble. I'm just remembering back when me and my brother watched the kung fu films as kids. Guess what we did right after the movie ended? Yup, fight like in the films. Trouble is, with a classroom of kids, some kids might be more inclined to use hard force when play fighting, or they might end up hurting each other in the playground. If the kids were already taking martial arts, then they'd probably be more disciplined and not try to emulate what they saw.

So, just to be on the safe side, stick to demos or intros that don't feature guys pounding each other. Training scenes, like in Executioners From Shaolin (with the ball bearings) or 36th Chamber would be cool.

KFS

Guest Markgway

Tricky.

I would vet any potential material before showing it as the kids may lap it up but I doubt the teachers or parents will be impressed if there's anything too violent or imitable.

I take it first grade is about 5 years old?

If so I would stick to 'PG' stuff like 'Super Inframan' and 'Return to the 36th Chamber'.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Unfortunately in todays world there is always gonna be sombody offended by anything you do. No matter how good your intentions. Some dumb kid will hit another kid or smack himself in the head with a stick. And then his parents will sue the school because he was just tryin to emulate the 5 Venoms. Sad but VERY true! Im sure the teacher will have to have the parents sign permission slips before the kids watch anything. Thats how it is with my kids. I'd show some cool Shaolin training sequences that wont get the kids to riled up, just to be safe. Like something from "Shaolin Temple" or "36 Chambers".

'Return to the 36th Chamber'.

I can just see the brats nailing each other with wooden benches.:lol

Guest Kwok Choi

Show them the Venom's street circus scene from The Daredevils.

Any good clip involving Xiao Ding Dong the kid in Demon And The Lute.

The rings/hoops training sequence in Cripple Avengers.

The training sequence with the female instructor in Five Superfighters

The young Wen Ding scenes in Executioner From Shaolin

Less violent fights in Super Inframan

The Scaffold training sequence in Return To The 36th Chamber

Some fight scenes in Holy Flame Of The Martial World

Guest rindge

gordon liu and philip ko? 8 diagram pole fighter- scene where they are fighting in the temple and draw the ying yang sign

martial club - the scene with the rice bags, and silk. also alley scene

any scene from heroes of the east - my kids loved the scene where the guy twitches his mustache.

those would be safe.

Guest HAZ74

I think that the best scenes to show kids would be training scenes from any number of Shaw films, like in 36 chambers when Gordon Liu finally masters that walking on water thing. There are a bunch of movies where you see dudes great physical feats. That kinda stuff is inspirational & prolly cool for kids to see since it doesn't involve violence.

Guest Stuntman Jules

INFRAMAN and HEROES OF THE EAST are both quite enjoyable films I'd happily show my unborn kids.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I thought of a good one (me thinks), how bout LKL and Hsiao Ho training sequences in Mad Monkey kung Fu.

mistertpitydafoo

I was just scanning this conversation and I thought of something that might help you. I learned recently when I was showing a good friend a couple classic shaw kung fu movies, that no matter how good the movie is, kids in general (this kid is about 8-10 years old) HATE reading subtitles. His lil brother and his lil friend who was with him were all excited at the opening fight but then when the subs started they were like, "oh man is this one of those movies you have to read?" I said, get used to it, the subs and the original language give it more class, it sounds funny and comical when they dub these kung fu movies in english, their mouths move while no words come out" But after a few mins of dialogue they lost attention and went outside to play. So you might want to make sure you use the dubbed versions if you are showing anything with dialogue. Just thought I'd drop by to tell something that might help you. Make sure you let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out.

SamuraiDana

I'll second (or third) INFRAMAN.

Now for a radical suggestion for a different direction: get hold of a tape of an original Japanese sentai show to demonstrate the origins of "Power Rangers."

I've done that. It sure opens their eyes.

Mr. Vampire

It is months too late, but hey wtf:

TO keep it lightweight - not that kids are as naive and clueless as some seem to think, but to protect your job - I'd go for the alley scene in Martial Club, or something from either 36th Chambers (training) or maybe something from Return to the 36th Chambers.

Inframan, yaaaaaay!

Archived