King Boxer / Five Fingers of Death / 天下第一拳 (1972)

Guest stormybman

I just watched King Boxer again last night. What a great great film. One of the first I'd seen as a kid and absolutely one of my all time favorites. The Dragon Dynasty R1 release with the english dub audio remastered is just great.

Yeah I went to dig out my DD King Boxer to give it a watch after seeing this thread and realized it's packed in a box in Atlanta, damn itXD

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kungfusamurai

It's too bad that happened, but it's nothing different from what the Hollywood system did until the 60s or so when they started losing so much money that they had to get rid of contracts. Then actors had to fend for themselves.

On the one hand the Shaw guys got a raw deal, putting lots of hours and blood sweat and tears into their films. But on the other hand, it gave them a chance to learn more about film making, and many people went on to productive careers outside of Shaw Bros.

KFS

I first saw King Boxer in th UK in 1974 on a re-release with Enter the Dragon and I've loved it ever since. UK R2 (Dragon Dynaty) recently released but I already have the R1 version....I wish it would be re-released to UK cinemas too!

It is a shame that after KING BOXER was released here none of the major studios took the time to find any halfway decent martial arts movie to import as a followup. When you realize that most of the Shaw classics did not get the English language release until the 80's while garbage like KARADO got imported, it's enough to make you sick. No wonder it took two decades before HK movies went mainstream.

An all-time fav. One I never tire of viewing! Something about this film oozes cool... The music, the sound effects, The phoney leaps into the air-only one other Shaw had that same affect on me, the yet to be remastered The Killer aka Sacred Knives of Vengence.

Campaign for The Killer!!

:nerd:

Let's pay more tribute to an old classic..

The trampoline usage in this film is another technique that worked better than wires. I also enjoyed the violence: eye gouging, decapitations, and the brutality to Chou Chi Hou getting his hands smashed while tied up.. Man, if you're a Fu Fan, this is good stuff.

Let's pay more tribute to an old classic..

The trampoline usage in this film is another technique that worked better than wires.

Yes. I always prefer trampoline work to wire work--it's still unrealistic, but it's a much more natural-looking unrealistic, if that makes sense.

instant noodles

Ummmmmmmm, excellent movie. I watched this recently again, also thunderbolt fist and chinese boxer. I would not say KB is best of those more or less quite identical movies but it has some very neat moments. I like the concept one of bad guys sees errors of his ways and pays heavy price. One my fav moments also are in tournament when lo lieh loses his cool after getting few punches and is about to use iron palm:tongue:

sifu iron perm

just a quick question without peeping the entire thread..

does the region 2 dvd include the eng dub?

just a quick question without peeping the entire thread..

does the region 2 dvd include the eng dub?

Yep, it sure does!:bigsmile:

Archived