King Boxer / Five Fingers of Death / 天下第一拳 (1972)

Guest stormybman

Righteous Master

Maybe I was hoping for too much out of this film, but after viewing it for the first time a few months ago I was pretty disapointed. This film is very hyped up and is billed as a must see (I personally don't get it). I agree with the earlier post that said that Lar Kar Lueng's films are much better that King Boxer.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe I was hoping for too much out of this film, but after viewing it for the first time a few months ago I was pretty disapointed. This film is very hyped up and is billed as a must see (I personally don't get it). I agree with the earlier post that said that Lar Kar Lueng's films are much better that King Boxer.

:mad:

Fights are not great(not bad either) but there is so many of them it makes movie worth seeing.Gore is always good thing in kung-fu movie and Lo Lieh`s Iron Palm do some serious damage in the end.

Nice detail when Lo Lieh captures samurai sword between his hands,same method was used lot in Lone Wolf & Cub comic books.

I also expected a bit more of the action, but I enjoyed it nonetheless and love to revisit it every now and then. Even though I'm not too fond of old bashers, tt has a handful of that early 70's charm. Also a rare opportunity to see Lo Lieh act as the good guy.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

This film is available in pristine condition with very well remastered english dubs by Dragon Dynasty. I'd just picked it up at Best Buy a few weeks ago, popped it in, watched the english dubbed version on the disc and was really impressed. The dubs are done very well in every department. By the way, there are NO weak points in this film, and as Liu Chia Yung has stated in an interview, he considers it one of his finest achievements. It really does kick ass and anyone who didn't notice the qualities of this film upon first or second time seeing should give it another viewing. That's right, there's no undercranked/sped up fight scenes. It's all arduously rehearsed, real speed fighting, and in this film they'd reached a pinnacle with it.

Love this movie, one of my favorite scenes in KF is after the guy comes into his school and beats up his sifu he's walking to confront the guy and thinking about how he was fighting with the thundering drums in the backround, I'm not a big fan of mixing music with different time periods but the score for this film fits like a glove.

It's a shame Lo Lieh didn't get more good guy roles he has such great charisma, then again it's that charisma that makes him such a great villain.

there is also nice moment in tournament scene when villain master touches shoulder of his son and wishes good luck silently...at that point I almost wished Lo Lieh loses:p

kungfusamurai

I'm not too crazy about kung fu films made before '74, especially ones that fall into the 'basher' category, but this flick is just so well done it's hard not to love it! The story arc, the fighting itself, the acting, its all top notch. The film just keeps getting better and better as you watch it.

KFS

When you think 1973 Box Office, such films come to mind...

Newman & Redford classic...! "The Sting" ($160M worldwide)...

Roger Moore's first 007: "Live and Let Die" ($126M)...

the film which put George Lucas on the map: "American Graffiti" ($115) [okay, THX-1138 was intriguing but made no serious cash]...

and of course the head-spinning winner of that year, "The Exorcist" ($357M).

But did you know in the last week of March of that year, another box office champion ruled the world -- if only briefly....

5fingersdeath.jpg

5fingersdeath2.jpg

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

"But did you know in the last week of March of that year, another box office champion ruled the world -- if only briefly...."

And justifiably too. King Boxer is a great film. The R1 release of this DVD was given a great deal of respect as well. English dubs, remastered audio, etc.

Did Enter The Dragon make more??

From what I've read, Enter the Dragon grossed $25M domestically in 1973 ($90M overseas).

Another source lists it as $21M (US) and $65M (worldwide).

Whatever the exact numbers are, it would appear Bruce had some hefty figures in '73.

It puts ETD as either 10th or 11th (depending on what figure you go with) on the US Domestic Box Office for that year --

positioned next to Serpico and Walking Tall.

Some new findings on King Boxer. Run Run was interviewed by a Time reporter in '73 and speaks of this film's box office numbers. As luck would have it, the article is on-line....

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,907416,00.html

shaolin drunkard

Has there ever been re-runs of this or Enter The Dragon?Could be even possible mass audiences would like it?????????

Together, the brothers Shaw have accumulated so much wealth that they have lost track of it. "We have hundreds of millions," shrugs Run Run. "Hong Kong or U.S. dollars—it doesn't matter."

Now that's what you call being on top.

One of the all time best music in a movie ever.

Together, the brothers Shaw have accumulated so much wealth that they have lost track of it. "We have hundreds of millions," shrugs Run Run. "Hong Kong or U.S. dollars—it doesn't matter."

Now that's what you call being on top.

One of the all time best music in a movie ever.

They beat their actors, none were paid there true worth. That never sat right with me. They make hundreds of millions while most of the stars of that era are struggling.

They beat their actors, none were paid there true worth. That never sat right with me. They make hundreds of millions while most of the stars of that era are struggling.

Yeah that kind of sounds familar, lot of people got screwed back then, look at the music scene. People getting screwed right now, that's business.

if i remember correctly, it was the second highest grossing film for warner bros. that year, beating out everything except the exocist

Has there ever been re-runs of this or Enter The Dragon?Could be even possible mass audiences would like it?????????

it's a shame because in 98 they almost did put enter the dragon back in the theaters

they felt, however, that the film wouldn't gross that much so they just put out the special edition.

Bruce lee not a bankable figure? jesus what were they thinking

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I just watched King Boxer again last night. What a great great film. One of the first I'd seen as a kid and absolutely one of my all time favorites. The Dragon Dynasty R1 release with the english dub audio remastered is just great.

Archived