King Boxer / Five Fingers of Death / 天下第一拳 (1972)

Guest stormybman

Guest stormybman

This the very first Kung Fu movie i ever saw. I was about 7yrs old and had never seen anything like it. reflections allow me to realize we were actually witnessing superhero films, with live actors performing astounding feats. Just look at X-Men or Spiderman today, and it's the same stuff, albeit better production values and special effects.

I'm thankfull for the Kung Fu movie and they will always dominate my personal library, you either love these films, or hate them....

:evil

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Who's (what's the actual name of) the guy who head butts his opponents into oblivion? I think he looks like Tsung Hua, but have been disputed on this point. Admittedely, I couldn't find his name listed in the credits (in english translated subs anyhow) , but he does look a great deal like Tsung Hua.

Extremely cool film by the way. It really delivers, completely.

9.5/10 - actually probably a 10

Guest stormybman

The actor you speak of is a Korean by the name of Kim Ki Ju, and he was type cast as a villian, in most roles. He's in The Manchu Boxer, and Broken Oath, among others. He died Oct.10, 2001, from diabetes related illness...

Good enough? :D

Guest stormybman

Technically speaking, Kingboxer was really a groundbreaking film, and the Shaws don't seem to think of it as one of the best, ala a One Armed Swordsman, or a Come Drink With Me.

Director Chang Chang Ho was very adept at the pacing of his films, blending action and drama evenly.

King boxer was also choreographed by Liu Chia Yung, who later teamed up with his brother to do Master of The Flying Guillotine. I really like the fast edits of Kingboxer, with the exaggerated leaps, and the sound effects, terribly dated, but suit the film perfectly.

I like to watch this, One Armed Boxer, and Boxer From Shangtung, back to back all the time.

Can't beat early '70's kung fu mania.

Now if Celestial would release The Killer, which has a great deal of the same qualities, we can see Tsung Hua.

Guest chen lung

1972 non-basher, with the basher-ness :D . Nice action and story. Favourite Shaw at the moment and very eager to own it!

Kim Ki Ju, hugh? Thanks stormybman! I always forget this guy's name. He kicked some serious ass in this film. In every department. Acting, fighting, presence, the man did a fine job.

Guest Stuntman Jules

I don't think it's THAT great a movie, but it is really a lot of fun.

Still, if it wasn't the first Shaw Brothers film released in the US (or one of them), would people really be hailing it as such a masterpiece? Just about any good film by Lau Kar Leung, Chang Cheh, Chor Yuen or Sun Chung is far superior to KING BOXER.

Guest kungfusamurai

I'm not a fan of bashers, but this one really was great! The fights are well paced and interesting to watch. And I'm not just saying that because I'm nostagic and saw it back in the day. I actually only saw it for the first time in '99 or so, and that was after watching a number of Jackie Chan flicks, which feature much faster paced action. This film kept my interest from beginning to end! A real achievement in kung fu cinema, and I'd say it's extremely underrated.

KFS

Guest Markgway

I've got all the cast down for King Boxer with the exception of the two Samurai accompanying Chao Hsiung.

I think one of them is played by Yukio Someno, but am not sure (it's hard to tell with their hair in their eyes, lol)

Anyone confirm...?

But even if I'm right, who's the other bloke?

Thx.

Guest Iron_Jinon

sorry I dunno answer to your question but have to reply as just watched this movie few days ago(dragon dynasty dvd)...I am not sure does this deserve classic status,most fights looked more karate than kung-fu action(ok,no wonder as there were those judo&samurai guys),and storyline very predictable(not far from chinese boxer).however fights were quite good mostly(cheh directed lot better later) and lots of them..I am not into special fx really but few scenes where lo liehs iron palms started to glow were cool.

Guest Markgway

Have to say I've watched this twice in the last couple of days for an article I'm writing and I enjoyed it quite a bit. If you pay attention is actually very well made and clearly a cut above most of the similar films made circa 1972-3.

Guest Yakuza954

If you look at it from that perspective, and compare it to other films of that era, than I think it holds up as a good film. But when I hear people saying it's one of the best martial arts films of all time, or even one of Shaw's best, I begin to question their sanity. Even Jimmy Wang Yu, who people hate, was doing better stuff at the time (One Armed Swordsman, Sword of Swords, The Sword, Chinese Boxer).

"Even Jimmy Wang Yu, who people hate, was doing better stuff at the time (One Armed Swordsman, Sword of Swords, The Sword, Chinese Boxer)."

I have to say, I think King Boxer is a much better film than any of these above titles and I'm a Jimmy Wang Yu fan. I just can't see why King Boxer is considered overrated. It's a very well done film in every department.

Guest Yakuza954

I have to say, I think King Boxer is a much better film than any of these above titles and I'm a Jimmy Wang Yu fan. I just can't see why King Boxer is considered overrated. It's a very well done film in every department.

I consider it overrated because it's thrown into "the best martial arts film ever" or "best shaw movie ever" discussions more than it should be. Others seem to also overrate it because it was the first big martial arts hit in America, i.e "This was the first big hit in the US so it must be great". This is the first time I've seen it analyzed based on its merits purely as an early 70's basher, and in that context, I'd say it's a good film. Still, I'd take Jimmy Wang Yu and his face mask over it anyday.

Guest wuxiawuxia

In part of the world where I was from, Chinese Boxer was the big hit, it's what sparked the Chinese patriotism theme mayhem, King Boxer was unheard of.

Kingboxer is one of the best old school kung fu films of all time. Given the stylization of the action, hyped-up sound effects, and the cool sfx, this movie definately has it's place among the greats.

View it a couple of times and you''l notice cinematography, settings, and coustumes that were great for a Kung Fu flick of it's day.

One of the classics of the genre.

Guest Yakuza954
Given the stylization of the action, hyped-up sound effects, and the cool sfx, this movie definately has it's place among the greats.

That describes practically half the martial arts movies I've ever seen. I don't know why King Boxer should get any extra credit for being great.

View it a couple of times and you''l notice cinematography, settings, and coustumes that were great for a Kung Fu flick of it's day.

It's not anything different from what was going on Shaw studios at the time. Just look at the films Chang Cheh was making. There are many, many, films out there that are better than King Boxer but don't nearly get as much credit.

I understand you Yak. I was simply stating that Kingboxer, directed by Chang Chang Ho, had a welcoming, different, flavor than the works of Chang Cheh coming out at the time. It's not the best Shaw production, however, it DID provide audiences with a certain excitement, and the film has memorable action, sfx, soundtrack, and cast of villans, not easily forgotten. Everyone remembers the bald martial artist headbutting his victims, and the eyeballs of the one poor slob being plucked from their sockets... and who can forget the

'Ironside' soundtrack strands with Lo Lieh's palms turning crimson, everytime he elected to employ the Iron Palm technique?

Man, I'm not certain how old you are, but in 1973, that was every bit as cool

as watching Tobey McGuire get doubled by a CGI Spiderman today.

Cheers.

I love to revisit this and The Chinese Boxer whenever I view Fist of Fury... They seem to go together, imo.

I don't feel Shaw made another film like this one. The closest I can remember is Thunderbolt Fist, and I feel the Lead there was mis-cast. Should have been a more popular Shaw actor.

Archived