Swift Sword

Guest HAZ74

Guest HAZ74

Yo,

I picked this up on a whim, not knowing what to expect. Haven't seen this one mentioned too much. Swift Sword delivered the goods, though. There are hot chicks alplenty - Kara Hui, Lily Li, & some girl that I recognize from the 1st Brave Archer. Lo Lieh reprises a Pei Mei style role as the leader of the Cold Blooded Five, a gang of thieves who steal treasure meant for the poor. They also cripple a righteous swordsman. The plot wasn't hard to follow. The fights were okay & Wang Yu comes off well as the young apprentice to The Swift Sword. I'd say this is worth peeping out if you see it for cheap. Any other fans out there?

h

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ignamelogin

It's a decent little flick from Ho Meng Hua, one of my favourite "reliable" directors to when it comes to delivering a good time.

I saw this when I was a kid and like it a lot, and was shocked when I watched it again and realized what the movie was really about. It's basically an adaptation/ripoff of Jin Yong's Sword Stained with Royal Blood. As an adaptation it's more faithful to the novel than Chang Cheh's version and keeps most of the flavour of the original story with a few deviations of course. It's a ripoff in the sense that it makes no mention of the novel and changes the title and all the characters names but keeps everything else the same (similar to Web of Death, Chor Yuen's ripoff of Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre; everything is the same as the novel except the names and the Sabre as a mcguffin is replaced by a deadly spider)!

Wang Yu is a likeable if slight bland leading man. You're right about the ladies though, they certainly steal the show everytime they're on screen. I wish Hui Ying Hung got a bit more screen time, but everyone performed their roles well.

Archived