Brave Archer 3

KyFi

Ok, I generally don’t complain much about ANY Shaw movie, but out of the 60 or so I’ve seen, Brave Archer 3 has joined The Thundering Sword on Ky-Fi’s short list of Shaw flicks I won’t be watching again. I was bored to tears by this movie!!!

Now, I really enjoyed Brave Archer 1, and I thought the second one was similarly decent. With more venoms in part 3, I assumed it would be even more action-packed. Not hardly!! Man, there were hardly any fights at all through the whole movie, and I wasn’t all that thrilled with the heroine’s unparalleled ability to solve Taoist riddles and math problems. Then when the 4 venoms showed up, to prevent the heroes from going up the sacred mountain, I thought “ok, here comes some action.†Nope, the heroes just pretty much snuck around the venoms to get to the mountain. Finally, in the last 10 minutes, low and behold there’s actually some kung fu---and the venoms action is so undercranked that I was waiting for the Benny Hill theme music to start playing. This movie was not my cup of tea >:

Ok, I’m done with my rant.

:lol

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jmungus

u definitely picked the most inferior BA movie to pick on.

venoms in the end fight is some wicked stuff tho; benny hill my a$$ |I :b

i`d never watch this one again either; then again, it will become essential viewing the next time i ll rewatch the BA series. :x :\

BA (1-3) is like one looong movie with a sequel ("mate") and a spin-off ("maiden").

Guest oldeschool17

ive never seen this series because ive heard they sucked a$$ and that IVL @#%$'d up the audio on this(remixed but you can hear the original audio underneath?!?!?). I think its a shame when you got a good cast but cant make a good movie out of it. Could somebody breakdown a pros/cons or mini review of the movies?

Guest BKarza

Well, over the years there have been quite a few movies that have become, watch for the action only and never watch the movie itself again. This is one of them.

For as much as I rewind when I do watch the action, it probably ends up being the regular running time.

Guest PaulyOne

I definitely agree with you on both films, especially thundering sword... what a horrifically terrible film. the only shaw movie that comes close to it in its level of crappyness is possibly The Enchantress

Guest Kwok Choi

Unfortunately Brave Archer 3 doesn't work quite well with the Celestial/IVL subtitles.This movie was very enjoyable in the original English dub of the theatrical prints.Niu Niu was quite tolerable and her solving of the riddles made more sense.However it is not a movie that should be watched for it's kung fu merits.The story mainly revolves around Ching Li,Ti Lung,Kuo Chue and Niu Niu.Fu Sheng is just supporting and it seems the rest of the Venoms were thrown in to help sell the film.It is a shame that the end fight was speeded up in the Celestial disc.There was no need for that because the Venoms did deliver with their natural talents and this was the highlight of the whole end sequence.

Surprisingly it did good business and was appreciated in my neck of the woods.It was re-released TWICE.

Guest sikmao
It was re-released TWICE.

hey Kwok Choi, wasn't that the case with a lot of the Shaw's? i remember seeing lots flicks coming around for a second release, back in the day. @ least, that's how it was in NYC.

imagine sitting thru ALL FOUR of these flicks, in one day!!! that's what i did when Fu Sheng passed away,(AMI TO FO). shucks! i might've even done it twice!! LOL! i DO remember thinking that i'll NEVER WATCH those flicks again!!! yet, i had since forgotten that i had that thought & was very excited when IVL/Celestial was set to release them. now, i agree. BA 3 isn't the easiest to digest! altho', i really like the Ching Li & Niu Niu(?) scene with all the math!! that was dope!

Brigadier Chow

I agree Sikmao, the 2 going back and forth with those mathematical lessons was a nice touch. Also like the scene with Sun Chien, when they turned the number of Confucius students into a math problem. Good stuff!!

I guess your list is much longer today...Brave Archer3 is pretty good IMO,but I agree on thundering sword.Movie starts pretty decent but soon dives into b-class soap opera.in the end was hard not to fall azzz when (lovely) cheng pei-pei was tryin g to convince others she was the killer.

Unfortunately Brave Archer 3 doesn't work quite well with the Celestial/IVL subtitles.This movie was very enjoyable in the original English dub of the theatrical prints.Niu Niu was quite tolerable and her solving of the riddles made more sense.However it is not a movie that should be watched for it's kung fu merits.The story mainly revolves around Ching Li,Ti Lung,Kuo Chue and Niu Niu.Fu Sheng is just supporting and it seems the rest of the Venoms were thrown in to help sell the film.It is a shame that the end fight was speeded up in the Celestial disc.There was no need for that because the Venoms did deliver with their natural talents and this was the highlight of the whole end sequence.

Surprisingly it did good business and was appreciated in my neck of the woods.It was re-released TWICE.

As for the last fight,I dont think it was celestial that sped it up. i believe it was the same speed as the old version.anyone know for sure? I dont think celestial ever just speeds up just certain sections?! right?

I have the Chinese bootleg of BA3 and a few other dupes of movies people used to say were "sped" up by Celestial and they all looked the same to me. Nothing looked any different from the dupe and the DVD at least in my eyes.

Can anybody else give some ratings on these flicks? Ive never seen them in its entirety, just randomn clips of the fight scenes. Seems like its a clusterfuck of a mess from various reviews ive seen

Well, the first is probably the best in the series in terms of scope and it's extremely colorful with a myriad of characters that may cause a bit of confusion.

The second film is the least in the series and never really comes to life until the last 30 minutes when Lo Mang shows up with his Iron Palm Clan.

The third film is definitely the way to go if you want some bristling action only it's very sporadic and the best moments don't come until the finale.

The fourth film has more in the way of action but the jumbling of the characters by having them played by different actors isn't helped by what appears to have been a painfully low budget.

If you consider LITTLE DRAGON MAIDEN as a loose fifth film, it's also pretty good for the action and it stars Chen Kuan Tai, Leslie Cheung and Lo Lieh among others playing characters from the CC series only a number of years later.

Well, the first is probably the best in the series in terms of scope and it's extremely colorful with a myriad of characters that may cause a bit of confusion.

The second film is the least in the series and never really comes to life until the last 30 minutes when Lo Mang shows up with his Iron Palm Clan.

The third film is definitely the way to go if you want some bristling action only it's very sporadic and the best moments don't come until the finale.

The fourth film has more in the way of action but the jumbling of the characters by having them played by different actors isn't helped by what appears to have been a painfully low budget.

If you consider LITTLE DRAGON MAIDEN as a loose fifth film, it's also pretty good for the action and it stars Chen Kuan Tai, Leslie Cheung and Lo Lieh among others playing characters from the CC series only a number of years later.

thanks for the info.

Archived