RENDEZVOUS WITH DEATH. SHAWS AT ITS BEST.

Guest the golden dragon

Guest the golden dragon

This was an exceptional movie in my oppinion.

Allthough I missed the last 15 minutes due to a bad transfer to VHS.

Wang Yu was great in his role the rest of the cast was no exception.

I think Wang Yu is underated. He is one comic genius of the kung fu movies.

The fighting was top-notch.

How did you all like this one.

GD

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sevenhooks

Loved it.

Visually and stylistically, Sun Chung was at the top of his game in my opinion.

Especially in that opening sequence with the three killers all charging/running in slow motion.

Great stuff.

He might have done better films overall (Avenging Eagle, Human Lanterns, etc.), but Rendezvous With Death remains a personal fave of mine.

i have never seen this one--i would like to wait to see if the dub version ever resurfaces. right now on kungfumovies.net site they claim to have the dub version but i can,t get any real confirmation of this as they won,t answer my emails and no one from this site has bought it. i remember someone from this forum claiming to have the dub version--i believe they were located somewhere in AFRICA. just have to wait and see.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Great film. There are some weak points, but the strong points, outshine them throughout the film.

Guest peringaten

The more I think about it, the more this becomes one of my very favourite Shaws. The things that downplayed it for me before now heightening it under further thought. Brilliant movie.

Guest oldeschool17

Sad to say, i dont recall seeing this film back in the day. Does this have wirework in it? Can anybody comment on the action/fight scenes(is it more hand to hand combat, weapons, swordplay,is it fast/slow paced, etc). How is the IVL release of this. Any crap edits or noticeable complaints? I'll add this to my list to get i think.

Guest jmungus

i shy away from sun chung related threads because i can only repeat myself (praising the man`s work like theres no tomorrow).

i have the habit of givin a movie some time (10-12 months min.) before i engage in a rewatch, but i get a bad freakkin itch everytime i think of RWD... matter of fact, if the gf wont interfere, why not make it a devils mirror/RWD double feat. tonite !!!?!? :D

oldeschool, there was a (afair) pretty booming thread about RWD back when the ivl dvd had just dropped with everything u`d probably need to know.

im aware the ezboard search function is a real b!tch, but maybe u can find it after all or a mod/someone can point u in the right direction.

"FREE Revenge of the Corpse & To Kill a Mastermind"

Guest peringaten

It's literally just about to fall off the board... I'll save you the horrors of the search function. Look on the front page for "no word yet?"

This, To Kill a Mastermind and Avenging Eagle are all tiesd for number 1. Human Lanterns is right bloody behind. Then Proud Youth, followed by JoaA.

I realize that different things resonate differently for different folks, so the things that just make me go crazy over this, don't mean blip to another person. As a result, most times It's best just to let folks like or dislike without trying to point out what's really going on or the cinematic elements etc.

meh...it`s OK but then are billions other k/f flicks..one positive note some villains used hook swords which are not usual:)

meh...it`s OK but then are billions other k/f flicks..one positive note some villains used hook swords which are not usual:)

granted, i feel like i must have watched an entirely different movie so there probably wont be any common ground here, thus we could just leave it at u finding it meh and i finding it exceptional, but what about RWD`s directorial finesse, flawless structure, style galore, camera work and 'action storyboard' ? doesnt that count for something ??? (there are billions of kf movies but only a couple of dozens on the same level of artistic excellency and immaculate tightness as displayed in RWD; even more so if we consider the movie`s lightweight story).

if it`s that great I should likely watch it at least one more time to notice it...but weren`t deadly breaking sword and kung-fu instructor above this in plot and fighting:rolleyes:

Sometimes films need a second take. Get over the hump of expectation and see what's really going on. Said this before, will say it again, this film is about more than the superficiality it might initially present; it's about more than just a box. We're talking an article premise that represents one aspiring martial artist's road to fame (Wong Yue extremely well cast for this in retrospect), the tentative nature of the martial world, and impacts the very fate of the nation. Every notion of power surrounds the article. Nary a fight wasted in a film that still has many facets to reveal on subsequent viewings. And that's before we even get to the artistry and technicalities behind its presentation. My favourite Sun Chung flick; a favourite Shaw. Few films, if any, are better, on par, sure, but this one's unique. Love the way the resolve is dealt with. It's different, legitimate almost.

You can't deny this.

Look again. More than just hook swords.

Just curious--golden dragon, did you used to post under the name whamsabi? You have the same writing "style".

Yeah I can see it too. Has to be him.

Archived