Lady Hermit, why did i wait so long to see it?

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Yes, I am very late (almost missed) on the Lady Hermit train. I guess because Im not as much into the chick-fu flicks it was never high priority viewing. Did enjoy Golden Swallow though. But it was great! Lots of great classic bloody swordplay action, dark villians, supernatural elements, good story, great pacing, everything was on point. This film is the "Commando" of classic swordplay films when it comes to bodycount! Almost every action scene is an small scale battle with armies of dead hench men left in the heroes wake. Lo Lieh and Cheng Pei-Pei were great, but I found Shih Szu to be a bit annoying. My only complaint (besides the terrible audio tampering) was the little screen time given to Black Demon. Wish they woulda given him some earlier action scenes to make him appear to be a more formidable villian. And maybe coulda gave him a nastier technique. Exceptional genre film on every level, 5/5.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sevenhooks

Couldn't get through this.

The "new" audio was just too, too much.

Maybe I'll cop the vcd at some point.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
Couldn't get through this.The "new" audio was just too, too much.

Understandable, this was one of the worst ones I have seen as far as audio. But the film was so good it made it bearable for me. Seven, you should deffinitely track down a VCD if you havent yet seen it.

i also have this one and i agree that its an excellent movie--of course i,m still hopeing to some day get a copy of the long lost english dub version--and yes i believe that one exist because this tittle always shows up on every lost shaw dub list--also pretty sure that celestial has it in thier vault.

Guest Stuntman Jules

THE LADY HERMIT is @#%$ great, probably my favorite Ho Meng Hua film. Cheng Pei Pei's awesome, Shih Szu is cute as a button and the whole film has a nice King Hu/Ang Lee vibe, only sleazier and more violent.

Iron_Leopard

What a phenomenal movie! 

This has amazing action scenes for 1971 and everything else is top notch as well. Doubt this film would go over well today in our current PC society with the main female lead wanting to become a martial arts master but then nearly throwing it all away cause she fell in love with a man. 

Was that Sammo Hung I saw make an appearance as a baddie at the final showdown? How cool of a landmark would that tower be today if it was still around? It's so iconic.

I've only seen "Come Drink With Me", "Golden Swallow", and "The Lady Hermit". What else is essential Chang Pei Pei viewing?

venom10463
1 hour ago, Iron_Leopard said:

What a phenomenal movie! 

This has amazing action scenes for 1971 and everything else is top notch as well. Doubt this film would go over well today in our current PC society with the main female lead wanting to become a martial arts master but then nearly throwing it all away cause she fell in love with a man. 

Was that Sammo Hung I saw make an appearance as a baddie at the final showdown? How cool of a landmark would that tower be today if it was still around? It's so iconic.

I've only seen "Come Drink With Me", "Golden Swallow", and "The Lady Hermit". What else is essential Chang Pei Pei viewing?

Checkout a few of her non shaw films:

https://www.amazon.com/Kung-Girl-Whiplash-Pei-pei-Cheng/dp/B00NALHJQY

ShawAngela
2 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

If martial arts movies taught us anything it's to never judge a movie by its title. But are you sure these are good? Lol

I haven't watched Whiplash as yet, but I can tell you that Kung fu girl is a must see.

It's non stop action with Cheng Pei Pei at her best with kicks and punches (which I rarely seen her using in her other movies) and she holds the movie on her  shoulders alone.

Tex Killer

Both are good. It`s been some years since watched that double bill but whiplash was bit odd. One moment up to no good guys are trying to rape cheng pei pei and some moments later cheng+dudes are cool like nothing happened...

Of Shaws at least flying dagger and lady of steel are essential but all her wu xia films on shaws are worth seeing..

ShawAngela
1 hour ago, Tex Killer said:

Of Shaws at least flying dagger and lady of steel are essential but all her wu xia films on shaws are worth seeing..

Not only her wuxia, but also her musicals and dramas are worth watching.

And her "spy like" movies such as Operation lipstick are also very good.

Iron_Leopard
On 6/5/2020 at 12:16 PM, Tex Killer said:

Both are good. It`s been some years since watched that double bill but whiplash was bit odd. One moment up to no good guys are trying to rape cheng pei pei and some moments later cheng+dudes are cool like nothing happened...

"Flying Dagger" was ok to me. I wouldn't consider it great but I'd watch it again some day.

"Lady of Steel" just sounds bad ass lol. I need to see it.

ShawAngela

The jade raksha is good too.

Other interesting titles : Dragon swamp, Brothers five, Raw courage, Golden sword, The shadow whip, all very good movies.

Chu Liu Hsiang
On 6/5/2020 at 12:13 PM, ShawAngela said:

Kung fu girl is a must see.

It's non stop action with Cheng Pei Pei at her best with kicks and punches (which I rarely seen her using in her other movies) and she holds the movie on her  shoulders alone.

Dang this is not easy to find. Apart from the Joy Sales Fortune Star which is of course OOP, there seems to be a Shout double feature with WHIPLASH, so far I found one person from the USA offering it. The hunt is on!

Look what the cat dragged in lol. Gotta love some site's search function. 

619kGprOH0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Archived