Invincible Fist

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Just realised I have yet to see this Lo Lieh classic. I was watching the trailer on the DD King Boxer disc and forgot how good it looked. I meant to pick this one up years ago but must of got lost in shuffle. Is this one as good as the trailer makes it look? Opinions and reviews appreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest PaulyOne

yes, get it, quite awesome

lo lieh is so badass in this one

ku feng has a nice role

li ching gets to play the wallflower role and does fine, though her character seems kind of tacked on to the story

its also cool to see a young david chiang alongside lo lieh

Guest Live Wire

This is one of my Alltime favourites and IMO together with The Duel Chang Chehs best movie. Lo Lieh is so cool and Fang Mien is great as the main villain. The fights in bushes and rain are absolutely fantastic.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Li Ching did great as the blind girl. For this movie, I only remember her and the tall bushes or tall grass which sets it apart from the other wu xia.

Guest Le Peril Jaune

This is my favourite Chang Cheh film (one of only two of his films that I truly like). Ku Feng and Fang Mien are wonderful, they stole the show for me.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Thanks for the feedback. I thought I remembered reading good stuff about it a while back when the IVL was released. Anybody know if DD has plans to release this one, Lin? If so Ill wait and buy their release. If not Ill just pick up the IVL now.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Just watched this one for a second time since I purchased it sometime ago. Despite the allstar cast I was initially a little disappointed upon first viewing this film.

The cast: Lo Lieh, Fang Mien, Ku Feng, Wu Ma, Chen Hsing, Li Ching, Wang Chung, and co-starring David Chiang. There are many other notable actors in particular (I can never remember this guy's name) he's one of the Magnificent Trio, not Lo Lieh, not Jimmy Wang Yu, but... anyways he has a great fight scene near the end of the film.

Fighting instructors: Tang Chia and Liu Chia Liang

Directed by Chang Cheh with assissted directing by Wu Ma

This film has a very classic Chang Cheh feel throughout it. The fighting is, at times, slightly undercranked I guess, but there are plenty of quick paced, and really violent fights that make up for the weak fight scenes. So the film is worthwhile in this regard. I felt Ku Feng's character was dispatched a little too easily. Then there's the fight at Wu Ma's Tavern to make up for it. David Chiang's duel with Fang Mien is very cool. There's plenty of blood. I mean alot of very cool kill scenes. Swords sticking through torso's, blood soaked tips of weapons smashing, shearing in half, and sticking through furniture and impaling victims everywhere.

Fang Mien is very convincing with his role. He's especially good with his umbrella and even more proficient with his spear-headed chain (very cool scenes with that weapon). It's great seeing Fang Mien as the main villian. I think he's an under-rated staple of the Shaws retinue of actors. He's awesome in The One Armed Boxer as Jimmy Wang Yu's teacher, also as Lo Lieh's last teacher in King Boxer, and as the ruthless and cold blooded villian in Twelve Deadly Coins.

The acting is very good by all concerned, though I felt Lo Lieh's character in this film was a little too stoic, almost like he's trying not to act in this role. Chen Hsing's really cool here as well.

Li Ching provides a very convincing role with being the lonley blind daughter of Fang Mien. This element in the story does seem a bit of a precursor to Killer Constable in storyline, but not so much that it's predictable. The sets are especially beautiful. Especially Fang Mien's residence. What a beautifully rustic pad.

Great final battle between Lo Lieh and Fang Mien in whicj both men are understandably exhausted. Cool ending as well.

I'd rate this film a 8/10 I guess.

A definite must have for any old school Shaw Brothers fans.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

That actor from The Magnificent Trio is Cheng Lei. He always get bumped off early despite his solid body. Sat through this again and enjoyed it. David Chiang impressed me with his boyish agility here.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns
Hows the remix on the DVD?

It was fine. I didn't notice any added audio at all. It sounded great actually. Though I do prefer original mono soundtracks, this dolby digital sounded appropriately remastered, from what I remember of it.

Archived