Lionsgate Drunken Monkey

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I got a full-length pre-screener DVD today for the Lionsgate release of Drunken Monkey. First thing that caught my eye was the terrible cover art. Nothing on the cover is from the movie itself. Except for Wu Jing's face, which looks to be photoshopped onto sombody elses torso :lol . Actually doesnt even list Wu Jing's name on the back cover either. Although it does list LKL, Chi Kuan Chun and Gordon Liu. Which is funny becasue Wu Jing is basically the main star. Specs are listed as: 16x9 WS, English 5.1 & Cantonese 2.0 w/ english and spanish subs. Does not list any other features. Video quality is very good, and the English dub is decent compared to other US dubs. The film itself didnt live up to the expectations I had for it, but I still really enjoyed it.

DrunkenMonkey.jpg

Almost looks like a crappy FareastPirate photoshop special. Apparently, Wu Jing has no neck.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chen Zhen

lol b4 making this cover art, did they even WATCH the movie?

lol obviously not

i dont own the IVL, but this release doesnt appear to be anything special/worth buying if u have the ivl.....but if u can prove me wrong, please do so.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I have the original Hk dvd release I picked up 3 or 4 years ago. It doesnt look as though Ill be double dipping. Unless there are some outstanding extras that they have yet to announce. But seeing the treatment they gave the cover, I dont expect any.

Guest The Running Man

I suppose if you enjoyed this film, it is worth the upgrade since this disc is anamorphic and, correct if I am wrong, the HK disc was not.

I am fully expecting it to carry a quality dub as well. The previous Lionsgate HK release of Star Runner caried a good dub job so I expect this to be of similar quality.

Shame they are only putting the Chinese tracks in 2.0 though.

Guest chen lung

Optimum was NTSC>PAL and didn't have DTS, or an English dub. Decent artwork (some artwork alternate Jason's colour of clothing).

Lionsgate do try to put in an effort, it just goes miserably.

EDIT: They all have necks:lol !

Guest chen lung
Few Can Master It, None Can Survive It

SPOILER:

Quite a number could master it. Plus, everyone DID survive:lol !

Guest The Running Man

Yeah, the tagline is one of those quickly slapped on ones made by someone who didn't actually see the movie. Then again, so is the cover.

Guest gimpusmons

Scott,

It's rare. At least one company has actually asked for permission. Most just grab whatever they want to use from published articles and I never find out about it until I see the ad or product the quote is published on.

Unfortunately, quotes are occasionally taken out of context. Luckily that doesn't happen very often.

Such is the world of home video marketing.

Mark Pollard

Kung Fu Cinema

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

:lol You guys are killing me!!! Freaking hilarious. :lol

I am actually suprised they didnt throw "Shaolin" somwhere in the title. (ie "Shaolin Drunken Monkey")

Oh, and I listened to more of the dub track and its not as good as I originally thought. Its actually very annoying. Mainly during the comedy sequences. And LKL characters name in the dub is Bill Man (doesnt sound very chinese :lol ). Instead of Man Bil.

Guest chen lung
And LKL characters name in the dub is Bill Man (doesnt sound very chinese). Instead of Man Bil.

Isn't it:

Mandy = Siu Man.

Man Bill = Man Biu.

Guest The Running Man
Oh, and I listened to more of the dub track and its not as good as I originally thought. Its actually very annoying. Mainly during the comedy sequences.

We'll see about that.

And LKL characters name in the dub is Bill Man (doesnt sound very chinese ). Instead of Man Bil.

Going by what chen lung wrote, I typically would hear a name that sounds like "Biu" translated in subtitles as "Bill".

If that is the case, then the name isn't that off.

Also taking that into consideration (how "Biu" is translated as "Bill") perhaps the makers of the dub also knew this and believed that it was some sort of transliteration of "Bill" and moved up the name.

That's a hell of a lot better than those crap dubs from the 80s in movies like Bullet in the Head where they took names like Ah B, Ah Fai, and Little Wing are made up names like Ben, Frank, and Paul or whatever the hell it was. In fact, those fake names were also in the old subtitles for it.

Guest killer meteor

And, of course, Freddy Wong and Sam Seed!

Which reminds me, I really need to see Nine Venoms!

Archived