King Boxer and 36th Chamber of Shaolin Review

Guest gfanikf

Guest sevenhooks
It may well be a significant factor in determining your purchase of a title, but that alone does not make it "a fantastic disc".

Yeah, it does.

As far as I'm concerned, these are "fantastic" releases.

Any other mitigating factors relating to these discs that result in your determination that they are somehow substandard is completely on YOU.

Capeesh?

To suggest these are unimportant because you've got what you wanted is as close-minded as those you would criticize for disparaging (and ignoring) English dubs.

First of all, I never suggested the lack of language was "unimportant".

Quite the contrary. If you go back and look at what I wrote, I actually lamented it.

I'm simply happy/thrilled/elated that I can finally watch these films the way I'VE always wanted to.

Is that so bad?

Apparently so.

If an IVL release is "flawed" for not containing the English dub (as you've said all these years) then the DD MYA is equally (in fact more so) flawed for not containing the original langauge track.

Please to point out where I ever ONCE said that an ILV release was "flawed" because it lacked an english dub.

You must be thinking of the other sevenhooks.

Only thing I've been saying all these years was that I preferred the dubs.

I certainly would've loved to have the dubs on the ILV discs, but I never once suggested that the discs were somehow flawed or wrong or incomplete because they didn't.

Give me a little credit!

I certainly hoped and prayed for the day that we might see domestic releases with said dubs.

And for that I was villified.

I still bought the ILV's.

Hell, I've got hundreds of them!

But I would certainly never suggest or think that ILV should automatically add english dubs to all their releases to placate myself and other dub fans.

Get your facts straight Mark.

You surprise me!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

long live the english dubs. i will state again--the success or failure of the DD SHAWS depends on haveing the original english dubs and nothing else. thats the bottom business line.

Guest Le Peril Jaune

English dubs are worthless to me (I think they STINK) and since the discs aren't much of an improvement over the IVLs, I will not buy these films all over again as I had originally planned.

Guest morgoth

I LOVE the oldshool English dubs. Th original language is easier on the ears, but the dubs are hilarious sometimes. I also like how I don't need to rewind if I miss a line.

Guest Le Peril Jaune
the dubs are hilarious sometimes

I don't think the films were intended to be hilarious... :rolleyes

Guest PaulyOne

some kung fu comedies are way more funny with their english dubs, I think... i.e. drunken master

and I completely agree with bobo

Guest The Running Man

oldeschool17,

so is it safe to say if you want the original language(for the most part), get the IVL release? If you want the english dub, get the dragon dynasty?

No.

The issue is being muddled.

Only one DD release does not have it's original language and that's My Young Auntie.

The problem with the other discs, and this is for all of DD's releases, are the subtitles which they aren't even bothering to improve.

This is a big problem because like I said before, in the case of Shaw Brother films, all of the IVL translations are for the Mandarin tracks and many times those tracks are not the original tracks for the films.

Also, many of those translations leave a lot to be desired and do affect the film by not doing justice to the dialog. One of my all time favorite Shaw Brother movies, Return to the 36 Chamber, has subtitles on the IVL that badly need improving since a lot of the humor is lost thanks to the incompetent "translator" who did them on the IVL release.

I would love to show the film to people who normally don't watch these films but they will be put off but the shoddy translations.

Guest Markgway
As far as I'm concerned, these are "fantastic" releases.

Any other mitigating factors relating to these discs that result in your determination that they are somehow substandard is completely on YOU.

So your willing to conceed that these discs are only fantastic if you prefer English dubs? If so, I can't argue, at least you're being honest. I just think it's a damn shame that the best visual representation on the market of My Young Auntie doesn't have its original language and some posters (maybe not you, Sevenhooks) are basically saying "we don't @#%$ care, it's your problem". To simply say "well you guys can go buy the IVLs" doesn't take into account the fact they are poor standards conversions, with remixed audio. The Running Man is correct when he criticizes DD for not retranslating the subtitles. It's cheap and lazy behaviour. I appreciate your excitement at having the original dubs - even though I've no interest in them - but it's unfortunate that the Chinese side had to be (to an extent) sacrificed. Don't you agree?

Please to point out where I ever ONCE said that an ILV release was "flawed" because it lacked an english dub.

You must be thinking of the other sevenhooks. Only thing I've been saying all these years was that I preferred the dubs.

I certainly would've loved to have the dubs on the ILV discs, but I never once suggested that the discs were somehow flawed or wrong or incomplete because they didn't.

If I'm wrong I apologize. Over the years there has been a lot of complaining here about the IVLs not containing English dubs. I, perhaps incorrectly, assumed you were vocal on the matter.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Anybody comment on the actual SIZE of the subs on the DD discs compared to the IVL??? I understand they have not been re-translated.

Guest raider yang

The subs on the 4 discs are definately bigger and easier to see, which is a plus. No squinting needed.8o

Guest killer meteor

Though it's been a long time, I think Momentum Asia corrected their subtitles. Pity they got everything else wrong

Guest m burlock

Please excuse my lack of knowledge but by "4" people are refering to: Above The Law, King Boxer, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, and The One-Armed Swordsman?

Guest m burlock

I recently consulted DD's website and when it came to them saying what's being released this year they didn't even mention MYA. Also, supposedly (according to their website anyways) ATL was released in May and the other 3 were released on June 19th (In the U.S.). Therefore I'm confused.

EDIT:

I did a search for/used their search function for MYA at Dragondynasty.com and found a record for it saying it was also released on June 19th. But I'm still confused. Everybodies talking about the 1st 4 released and yet I know of 5 that've been released. Above The Law, My Young Auntie, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, The One-Armed Swordsman, and King Boxer. ???????

Guest morgoth

:lol

Sorry to laugh, but it is kinda funny. Above the Law is not a Shaw Brothers movie. The other "4" are.

Archived